• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/16/2012 17:00
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Over what period of time are you claiming temperatures are rising. Yes they do usually rise during daylight.

Stop playing dumb. I'm talking about the last 100 years or so with the increase in temperature becoming more sharp over the last few decades.

If you want you can look it up.
Saoirse

• Posted: 12/16/2012 17:02
  • Post subject:
http://news.cnet.com/Earths-temperature...87108.html

http://askville.amazon.com/earths-core-...d=66874989

Sorry for saying this, but your ignorance here is appalling. If this is the kind of mindset the american conservative movement has towards global warming and the enviornment then they by all means shouldn't be allowed in the discussion (censorship!). I know this is going to be completely denied, considering we can't stick a themometer in the earth's core, but every study to get the most accurate reading of what our earth's core temperature is has shown that is indeed rising at an alarming rate- the main argument here is if it's man-made.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2012 17:05
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
OMG Naples did you not attend science classes out of protest? he's talking about the earth's CORE TEMPERATURE, which isn't affected by the way we're facing the sun... and it has been rising at an alarming rate

Really? Who is measuring this inner or outer core temperature? The temperature of Earth's core can only be estimated using mathematical and geophysical models, and the current (2011) estimated temperature range is:
    Outer core--from 4400'C in the outer regions near the mantle, to around 6100'C in the inner regions near the inner core (7,952 to 11,000oF).
    Inner core--between 5,000 and 7,000 degrees C (9,000 to 12,630oF).

Now can you speak civilly mother.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 12/16/2012 17:18
  • Post subject:
As I said, you can't DIRECTLY measure the core's temperature. However every model measuring the earth's surface temperature (many that you just suggested thanks to google) have been able to estimate that the temperature of the earth has risen signficantly. And I guess all those melting ice caps and a good chunk of antarctica that has just all of a sudden melted away before our very eyes apparently isn't enough of a in-plain-sight example that our planet's temperature is increasingly rapidly

And don't call me mother Naples... that's a role I wouldn't play if my life depended on it

edit: sorry, I'll stop now this is starting to get petty and clearly not pushing the discussion anywhere
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2012 17:26
  • Post subject:
Mother:

Global warming usually refers to the rise in the average temperature of Earth's atmosphere and oceans since the late 19th century and its projected continuation and not the earth’s core temperature. Scientists and non-scientists question aspects of climate-change science and have challenged IPCC climate change scenarios.

The disputed issues include the causes of increased global average air temperature, especially since the mid-20th century, whether this warming trend is unprecedented or within normal climatic variations, whether humankind has contributed significantly to it, and whether the increase is wholly or partially an artifact of poor measurements. Additional disputes concern estimates of climate sensitivity, predictions of additional warming, and what the consequences of global warming will be.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 12/16/2012 19:52
  • Post subject:
Sorry guys... but you're both off.

Naples - keep sticking your head in the sand. Climate change is happening, but you can keep to your ideologies and convenient denial while the globe experiences the gradual effects of carbon emissions.

Saorise - Last I checked, the earth's core wasn't the cause of climate change. An accumulation of carbon in the atmosphere is creating a global greenhouse effect - heat is trapped, and the earth's atmospheric temperature is rising.

Either way, arguing with a climate-change denier is almost as pointless as arguing with an a defender of semi-automatic weapons.
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 12/16/2012 20:03
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
Either way, arguing with a climate-change denier is almost as pointless as arguing with an a defender of semi-automatic weapons.

• Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 12/16/2012 20:18
  • Post subject:
Admittingly I should've said that while the core temperature has indeed risen but, yes, it is true that isn't the actual cause for global warming, it's just a big consequence, and I apologize for mis-speaking... and I thank you Junodog for clearly refuting both the falsehoods and also bringing to light the serious, important issues involved in this debate.
purple

• Posted: 12/17/2012 17:51
  • Post subject:
Sweet mother of jesus, please stop Saoirse. Give me a minute to find an article.