Politics outside the US

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/06/2012 16:34
  • Post subject:
So Ken Clarke gets demoted in the reshuffle why? One of the only politicians I actually like.

Guess Cameron needs a hardline rightwinger in charge of crime and punishment Rolling Eyes
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/06/2012 16:38
  • Post subject:
Good little piece in the telegraph.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/maryr...ies-think/

Quote:
Alas, poor Ken. His departure from the Ministry of Justice will delight many in his party. No more soft touch justice, no more burbling on about human rights. The firm smack of government can be resumed, and Europe can have a poke in the eye. Or so some colleagues will hope. Justice has been done, and the Conservative Party will be the better for it.

Think again. Kenneth Clarke was in the finest tradition of liberal Tory justice ministers. He tried, as boldly as he could, to end the inhumane and unaffordable practice of locking up far too many people, failing to rehabilitate them and thus ensuring that, once free, they would rapidly return to crime.

Keep moving to the right if you want Tories, you won't be winning in 2015 if you do.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2012 16:02
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 09/22/2012 16:10
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:

I like this one Naples... shows the futility of fundamentalist religion - Christian and Muslim.

• Posted: 10/08/2012 13:26
  • Post subject:
From the Tory party conference:

Quote:
Osborne said that firms will be allowed to suspend employee rights for new workers provided they offer them shares in the company. The employee-owner scheme, as it is being called by the Treasury, would particularly appeal to small and medium-sized companies expanding fast, he said. Announcing the scheme in his speech, he took inspiration from Marx.

George Osborne wrote:
It's a voluntary three way deal.

You the company: give your employees shares in the business.

You the employee: replace your old rights of unfair dismissal and redundancy with new rights of ownership.

And what will the Government do?

We'll charge no capital gains tax at all on the profit you make on your shares ...

Owners, workers, and the taxman, all in it together.

Workers of the world unite.

Wow, what a horrible scheme. Also, somewhat niche I feel. The man hasn't a clue, and he's sullying the name of Karl Marx. This is not good.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/08/2012 19:07
  • Post subject:
Ha! Just a sneaky way to bypass employee rights what a prick.

I really really really dislike George Osborne. He has the nerve to use the example of a shift worker doing early morning hours to justify cutting benefits when he's never had a proper job outside of politics and comes from a rich as fuck background.

He's only chancellor because he's a personal friend of Cameron's, there's plenty of tories who could do the job better.

• Posted: 10/08/2012 19:11
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Ha! Just a sneaky way to bypass employee rights what a prick.

I really really really dislike George Osborne. He has the nerve to use the example of a shift worker doing early morning hours to justify cutting benefits when he's never had a proper job outside of politics and comes from a rich as fuck background.

He's only chancellor because he's a personal friend of Cameron's, there's plenty of tories who could do the job better.

Truesay. I'm scared about the way the Tories are going man. There's an ever more vocal, very right-wing contingent growing stronger by the day. And even the more central ones (i.e. the front bench) are just career politician pricks (see: Hunt, Jeremy; Gove, Michael; Osborne, George; May, Theresa). It's worrying man. And apparently the most vocal support throughout the conference has been whenever the idea of an EU referendum has been brought up. Christ.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/08/2012 22:16
  • Post subject:
Yeah true. The likes of Liam Fox, David Davis, Theresa May (especially) disgust me, even the newer tories seem to be more and more free market. I don't mind though, the more they move to the right the less likely they'll get elected. I mean it's looking as if they won't even be able to beat Ed Miliband (who I also think is a twat, but for different reasons), and if they can't beat him then they can't beat anyone.

• Posted: 10/08/2012 22:22
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Yeah true. The likes of Liam Fox, David Davis, Theresa May (especially) disgust me, even the newer tories seem to be more and more free market. I don't mind though, the more they move to the right the less likely they'll get elected. I mean it's looking as if they won't even be able to beat Ed Miliband (who I also think is a twat, but for different reasons), and if they can't beat him then they can't beat anyone.

Ed Miliband is utterly unelectable. Even a large shift to the right within the Tory party won't help him I fear. He just reeks of silver spoon. I wanted Andy Burnham to be the Labour leader - electable, further to the left (yet still capable of bringing together the party), from a working class background, northern accent (seriously, these things matter more than they should) - but it wasn't to be. Ho hum.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/08/2012 22:48
  • Post subject:
The idea of Ed Miliband as our PM scares me and I reckon it's more likely than you think. Burnham I find quite unimpressive but from the sorry list of candidates you could draw up for Labour he might well be the best.

Talking of party leaders, it's pretty interesting all the speculation about Boris Johnson. I think the Cons will stick with Cameron because Johnson would be too big a risk but if Cameron loses the next election though that'll be it for him.

As for the Lib Dems there is no way I'd vote for Nick Clegg, he has to go before 2015. Tim Farron would be my pick but I could also bring myself to vote for Vince Cable. If only Paddy Ashdown was 15 years younger.

Imagine if you had Paddy Ashdown, Tony Benn and Ken Clarke/ Michael Heseltine as party leaders compared to the three muppets we've got now.