Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 08/05/2012 19:21
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
There's this relevant video I saw once but I can't find it. Bleh. It basically says that religious schools suck, though, and that they have a whole bunch of loopholes at the state level (in the US) allowing religious schools to fuck kids up in ways they can't legally do at public schools. True story.

Not all religious schools are the same. Some fuck kids up, some don't. It depends on how nutty they are.
  • Visit poster's website
ZebraRock

• Posted: 08/07/2012 02:44
  • Post subject:
Take it from someone who went to Public School for 5 years, and religious for 3.

You want to find an educational system that indoctrinates, messes kids up, patronises, forbids questions, and gets money from the government?

Look no farther than your local public school. Where I went, atheism was the excepted norm, and I was constantly bullied for my beliefs. The teachers made me suffer all the time for being religious (well, actually, Christian, they had no problem with Muslim students) and the "social studies" class might as well have been called "liberalism" class. The teacher would sit and lecture about how Clinton was a hero and Reagan was the devil, and republicans are messing up the world, and religion should be banned. Most of the time she used incorrect facts, but whenever I disagreed with her and pointed out sources that backed my point up she would get mad and either give a detention, or subtract points from me on an assignment.

After that. going to a school that was religious was like a treat. They didn't attack me, but in fact a large part of the student body was atheist. They were completely allowed (maybe encouraged) and the only real religious component (aside from optional chaple) was the teachings of ethics and morals.

Sorry I wrote so much, but as a first hand experiencer of what you don't seem to understand, the original quote (which I'm too lazy to quote exactly) just raised my hackles a little.
  • Visit poster's website
Big A2

Australia

• Posted: 08/09/2012 11:04
  • Post subject:
I wholeheartedly agree with the first post. Also, yes, Dawkins is awesome. He can be a little "militant" sometimes (even describes himself as such) but he’s light-years away from being as bad as some religious evangelists.

ZebraRock wrote:

Look no farther than your local public school. Where I went, atheism was the excepted norm, and I was constantly bullied for my beliefs. The teachers made me suffer all the time for being religious (well, actually, Christian, they had no problem with Muslim students) and the "social studies" class might as well have been called "liberalism" class. The teacher would sit and lecture about how Clinton was a hero and Reagan was the devil, and republicans are messing up the world, and religion should be banned. Most of the time she used incorrect facts, but whenever I disagreed with her and pointed out sources that backed my point up she would get mad and either give a detention, or subtract points from me on an assignment.

Nah, I think you were just unlucky and had an asshole teacher.

I myself go to an Anglican school (in my last year of high school right now). Only difference is a compulsory R.E. class from Year 7-9 (which is a total cakewalk) and compulsory chapel fortnightly (which is sometimes on the verge of indoctrination but no-one is really that impressionable anymore). Oh, and one time a teacher threated to expel students for not singing along to their Anglican hymns, but apart from that it’s a regular place I guess.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/09/2012 18:25
  • Post subject:
ZebraRock wrote:
After that. going to a school that was religious was like a treat. They didn't attack me, but in fact a large part of the student body was atheist. They were completely allowed (maybe encouraged) and the only real religious component (aside from optional chaple) was the teachings of ethics and morals.

Oh, faith school wasn't so bad for you? A religious, right-wing, heterosexual?

YOU DON'T FUCKING SAY.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 08/09/2012 20:50
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:

YOU DON'T FUCKING SAY.

Bingo. Applause

It's sad. Traditional religions are losing numbers fast. Many people have no need for organized religion, but those that do are avoiding outdated churches. If they wanted to remain relevant, removing some of their entrenched views of women, sex and homosexuality would be a start. The last church I went to is packed every Sunday - the preacher is relevant, topical, approachable and they embrace all walks of life. Religious schools could do that too...
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/09/2012 20:52
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:

YOU DON'T FUCKING SAY.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

5* post.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/09/2012 21:32
  • Post subject:
Big A2 wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with the first post. Also, yes, Dawkins is awesome. He can be a little "militant" sometimes (even describes himself as such) but he’s light-years away from being as bad as some religious evangelists.

eh, I dunno. Sometimes he's awesome, other times he seems like he's saying "FUCK ALL CHRISTIANS EVERYWHERE" which isn't very appealing.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/09/2012 21:55
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
eh, I dunno. Sometimes he's awesome, other times he seems like he's saying "FUCK ALL CHRISTIANS EVERYWHERE" which isn't very appealing.

This.

Whilst I am an atheist (well, agnostic, but you know), Dawkins can be insufferably intolerable. Clearly a very smart man, but often a twat.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/09/2012 22:04
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
This.

Whilst I am an atheist (well, agnostic, but you know), Dawkins can be insufferably intolerable. Clearly a very smart man, but often a twat.

Yeah. I find Christopher Hitchens a lot less annoying, he attacked religion, not religious people.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/09/2012 22:05
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
Yeah. I find Christopher Hitchens a lot less annoying, he attacked religion, not religious people.

This too. Very Happy

I love Hitch. His autobiography is one of my favourite non-fiction books of the last few years. A true gent, and had a razor sharp tongue.