2012 Minor Parties

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 09/12/2012 21:18
  • Post subject: 2012 Minor Parties
Just interested on people's views on some of the US's minor parties, like Libertarian and Green.
There's obviously no chance they'll win, but I'm surprised they don't garner more support from more liberal voters who have been let down by Obama's term.

I just started my politics course and I have to look into two-party systems, so just a little more insight into the US politics world would be interesting Smile
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 09/12/2012 21:21
  • Post subject:
The two party system has ruined US politics. It's made it so much more adversarial than it needs to be. Everything becomes a either/or proposition, and there's little compromise. I'd love to see the Greens, Libertarians, and any other party chip away at the traditional support for the Democrats and Republicans.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2012 21:27
  • Post subject:
Democrats don't generally support Libertarians because they are usually right of the Republicans.

Democrats don't generally support Greens because they are usually left of the Democrats.

Independents usually are middle of the road and generally don't know who to support.

Following losers is for losers.

Last edited by RFNAPLES on 09/12/2012 21:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 09/12/2012 21:36
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Democrats don't generally support Liberterans because they are usually right of the Republicans.

Democrats don't generally support Greens because they are usually left of the Democrats.

Independents usually are middle of the road and generally don't know who to support.

What about the Constitution party? Are Republicans only favored because of their mass popularity?
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2012 21:51
  • Post subject:
Democrats don't generally support Constitutionists because they are usually right of the Republicans.

Republicans generally support Republicans because their platform, ideology and political position are right.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/13/2012 00:57
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Democrats don't generally support Libertarians because they are usually right of the Republicans.

Following? It's the electorate who should be leading the politicians not the other way round.
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2012 01:29
  • Post subject:
I feel we're nearing a point where people will see there really isn't a huge difference anymore between the two major parties in terms of policy and who they take their marching orders from. Unfortunately, money remains the biggest problem in American politics. In the current system, the only way there will ever be a viable third party is if every state employs a run-off voting system. Also, we have to fix the primaries so that people aren't required to vote along party lines.

On a side note and somewhat contradictory one, I'm amazed that the US still has independent voters. The US system has been pretty much like Britain for years. Most people vote along party lines because that's what makes the most sense, unless you just fundamentally don't understand the parties' platforms... or I suppose social issues divide people. Think
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2012 06:07
  • Post subject:
i just took some political orientation quiz for the lolz and apparently i agree w/ the green party's candidate 96% of the time

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/13/2012 14:33
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
On a side note and somewhat contradictory one, I'm amazed that the US still has independent voters. The US system has been pretty much like Britain for years. Most people vote along party lines because that's what makes the most sense, unless you just fundamentally don't understand the parties' platforms... or I suppose social issues divide people. Think

Well yeah, the system we have practically forces people to vote for a major party otherwise their vote is just a waste. It's basically a massive stitch up but whichever party is in power will be a party which has benefitted from the system so they're never going to change it, be like turkeys voting for christmas.

Saying that, apparently the 2010 election saw the Cons and Labour collectively get their lowest share of the vote in nearly 100 years. I'm guessing this was mainly because of the gains the SNP made in Scotland but the Liberals did do quite well along with the Greens making gains.

It would be fantastic if people voted for who they genuinely wanted to vote for rather than voting tactically but until we get proportional representation (never) it won't happen.

Sorry for going off topic but hey.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2012 14:52
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Following? It's the electorate who should be leading the politicians not the other way round.

They do follow the electorate. Why do you think politicians pay attention to the polls? But the real question perhaps should be why should the politicians follow an uninformed electorate (other than to get elected)?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website