2012 Minor Parties

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/13/2012 15:12
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
They do follow the electorate. Why do you think politicians pay attention to the polls? But the real question perhaps should be why should the politicians follow an uninformed electorate (other than to get elected)?

Well yeah they do that's the whole point, it was you who seemed to suggest people should follow politicians rather than the other way round.

I guess you've answered your own question there, the only reason politicians give a damn about what the electorate think is that it's them who decide who gets into power. Also, the more uninformed the electorate the better, makes it much easier to lie to them and get away with it.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2012 15:42
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Well yeah they do that's the whole point, it was you who seemed to suggest people should follow politicians rather than the other way round.

I guess you've answered your own question there, the only reason politicians give a damn about what the electorate think is that it's them who decide who gets into power. Also, the more uninformed the electorate the better, makes it much easier to lie to them and get away with it.

I was suggesting by "following losers is for losers" that those electorates who follow minor party politicians are losers.

I don't think it is black and white. It is important that politicians know what their constituents want and if they can legitimately/ethically support their desires it may help them get elected. But don't be so bleak to think that all politicians only have their self-interests at heart. (OK maybe the democrats do Wink ).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2012 15:53
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2012 15:56
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
i just took some political orientation quiz for the lolz and apparently i agree w/ the green party's candidate 96% of the time

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 09/13/2012 18:46
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
i just took some political orientation quiz for the lolz and apparently i agree w/ the green party's candidate 96% of the time

Just did one too and I came out the same, only the UK party version.
It's great to see the green parties are moving out of just being environmental but also recently showing their more political side too. When I'm old enough I'll probably be sending a vote their way.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/13/2012 22:18
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
I was suggesting by "following losers is for losers" that those electorates who follow minor party politicians are losers.

I don't think it is black and white. It is important that politicians know what their constituents want and if they can legitimately/ethically support their desires it may help them get elected. But don't be so bleak to think that all politicians only have their self-interests at heart. (OK maybe the democrats do Wink ).

Haha ok Laughing

I'm not being completely cynical, I do believe that a lot of politicians are in the game because they genuinely want to change the country for the better. Only that most party policy is defined by opinion polls and not what politicians genuinely believe, I mean that's how you get into power isn't it, you've got to be the right side of the opinion polls.

Not that I necessarily think that's a bad thing, it is the electorate who should be deciding the direction a country goes in.

As for being a loser for supporting a smaller political party, I think that's just dumb, I definately ain't gonna vote for Labour or Conservative next time round. I'd rather feel a little disgruntled that the party I voted for didn't get enough votes than feel responsible for voting into power a party whose policies I don't agree with.
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 09/13/2012 22:54
  • Post subject:
I remember my first and only vote.

"No confidence" Laughing