Longer Greatest Album Charts?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
gtroda

• Posted: 12/07/2012 21:36
  • Post subject: Longer Greatest Album Charts?
Has there been any consideration for longer greatest album charts at a certain point level?

Now that we have decade charts, yearly charts, and custom charts a lot of us have more than 100 albums ranked. I'm getting close to 1,000 myself and I have an off-line spreadsheet to keep it all straight.

What I'm finding is that when the decade charts are scored evenly it doesn't necessarily match the way I would score things overall. This is particularly true in the 1960s and 2010s where I don't have 100 albums yet.

For example, I have an album sitting at number 48 on my decade chart that is receiving points for that but in my personal overall chart it is only ranked 925. However, in another decade I have 282 albums ranked higher than 925 overall and 182 of them aren't receiving points.

I realize allowing everyone to have 1,000 albums on their chart isn't practical but maybe letting them go a little longer and counting points on the overall charts higher than the decades charts would help balance out some of this.

How about going to 200 or 250 albums on the overall charts?

I see some people are using the custom charts for this already.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 12/07/2012 21:53
  • Post subject:
In terms of ranking this could get a bit crazy.

Soon albums at like 700th place will have be counting for a hundredth of a point towards the overall chart.

I would just make a custom chart called "101-200" etc.

• Posted: 12/07/2012 22:00
  • Post subject:
Maximum chart size of 500 for level 8 users? I'd like that. Maybe. Would be a strong reward for highly active members.

Yet... there would be 50 pages of albums on those charts to scroll through. On RYM, people can adjust the amount of albums per page on their own charts, so maybe that customization option could also be rewarded to the level 8s.

• Posted: 12/07/2012 22:09
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
Maximum chart size of 500 for level 8 users? I'd like that. Maybe. Would be a strong reward for highly active members.

Yet... there would be 50 pages of albums on those charts to scroll through. On RYM, people can adjust the amount of albums per page on their own charts, so maybe that customization option could also be rewarded to the level 8s.

Yes. This.
gtroda

• Posted: 12/07/2012 22:32
  • Post subject:
Maybe so it doesn't get out of hand do like 200 for Level 8 and then add more for higher points.
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/07/2012 23:47
  • Post subject:
good idea, yes;{if}
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/08/2012 09:11
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:

something on the list is adjusting the number of items per page, and this will probably be something available to everyone when it's done.

Last edited by albummaster on 12/08/2012 09:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/08/2012 09:22
  • Post subject: Re: Longer Greatest Album Charts?
gtroda wrote:
Now that we have decade charts, yearly charts, and custom charts a lot of us have more than 100 albums ranked. I'm getting close to 1,000 myself and I have an off-line spreadsheet to keep it all straight.

...For example, I have an album sitting at number 48 on my decade chart that is receiving points for that but in my personal overall chart it is only ranked 925. However, in another decade I have 282 albums ranked higher than 925 overall and 182 of them aren't receiving points.

...How about going to 200 or 250 albums on the overall charts?

This an on-going issue. Every year people want to have bigger & bigger charts, but where do we stop? We have to pick an arbitrary number to make the site work the best it can. I'm not against increasing the size of the overall charts for higher level members (if people want to do this), but the current mechanism would need to be re-developed because I don't think it would scale to that volume (so it's not something that could be done quickly, and probably something for 2013).
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/08/2012 09:26
  • Post subject:
I think keeping charts to 100 is better, it forces everybody to be a bit choosy. The site is "Best Ever", it seems to make sense to really think out what are your true favourites. Narrowing them down to 100 is the right pick IMO.
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/08/2012 14:00
  • Post subject:
i don't care what you do