Pitchfork's Top 20 Albums of the Decade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 01:27
  • Post subject:
There are children who are exposed to music in the womb. I don't think those early experiences add much of anything to one's musical acumen. Which is why I still hope your statements are jokes!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 01:39
  • Post subject:
The average listener doesn't truly understand music, no matter what age they may be. But people all of ages and backgrounds can enjoy it, since the capacity to enjoy it doesn't require some type of intellectual understanding. You know nothing about how the brain works. And I don't know how it was when you were growing up some 5 decades ago, but I was in music programs of some sort since I was 4 years old. I guarantee that I knew more about music when I was 6 than you do at 60. You have yet to demonstrate any knowledge of music beyond sales and popularity. I hope saying someone needs to understand rhythm and music was a joke. That's the biggest joke I've ever heard. Now, seriously, gtfo.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 01:45
  • Post subject:
Sorry, I didn't know how wonderful you were. Must be nice to be the greatest person on earth.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 01:49
  • Post subject:
Everyone can enjoy rhythm and music at age 6. Hell, they can enjoy it 6 weeks. Don't try to cover up your idiocy with some false accusation of me claiming to be the greatest person on earth. gtfo, please
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 01:56
  • Post subject:
Yes even 6 year olds can enjoy music and rhythms even if they have a difficult time understanding the lyrics or putting the music and rhythms into perspective. But how does the fact that you listened to hip-hop at six add to your credibility as a critic? Why doesn't your chart include any hip-hop? You don't claim to be the greatest person on earth; you just act like it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 02:23
  • Post subject:
First, I understood a lot of the lyrics. They weren't complex or necessarily overwhelmingly profound. Second, there are people who go their whole lives without fully understanding the intended meanings behind some songs that they enjoy. People of all ages project their own meanings onto any piece of art, and as far as they are concerned, that song means whatever they think it means. Even children at six years old will do this. If you knew anything about art, you would know this.

Tell me, what the hell is "I Am the Walrus" about? Nothing at all, but it's a good song. If you knew anything about hip-hop, you would know that the sounds of the words, the cadence, and the delivery are just as important as what is actually being said.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get back to the music. What the hell do you mean by "putting the music and rhythms into perspective"? That's just an empty phrase and you have no idea what you're saying. Explain yourself, because you're talking absolute shite. The human brain naturally responds to music at any age. A person needs to put rhythm and music into perspective just as much as they need to put a punch in the face into "perspective" to feel pain. It's a visceral experience. Rhythm and music can be enjoyed and can garner an emotional response from anyone. Explain yourself.

Last edited by joannajewsom on 10/10/2009 02:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
The Tourist

• Posted: 10/10/2009 02:25
  • Post subject:
Well I'm not trying to claim that Pitchfork greatly "knows" hip-hop, just that they treat it more than a curiosity added to be perceived culturally applicable and that their choices aren't completely horrible. And I think its funny how RFNAPLES attacked you as soon as I gave him an opening, it's (no offense to the both of you) hilarious when you guys quarrel. However whats not funny is your hatred of hipsters and indie music. I mean you don't have to "like" hipsters but unwarranted hatred is a little scary (and if it is warranted, which I'm pretty sure you think it is, please explain). Also I'd think you'd like indie music since albums like Y's, The Woods, and Merriweather Post Pavilion all fall under the umbrella term of indie; which doesn't make any sense since I'm sure your rebuttal would be something along the lines of appreciating music for its actual musical construction and not for flimsy labels, which is even more confusing considering indie covers an expansive array of sub genres meaning your condemning entire facets of music. and if you wanted to strip that term down to an even more primitive level, you'd be condemning a lot of great music from the 80's and 90's. Or is your hatred for hipsters hindering your appreciation for music they're most closely associated with? Idk, I'm just curious, no ill intention meant.[/i]
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 02:30
  • Post subject:
http://www.imeem.com/bobmarleyofficial/...o-soldier/

Let's all chill out. You're both old and you're both pretentious and cantankerous. Life's too short to be arguing semantics on a website designed for Britons to give internet kisses to Radiohead.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 02:50
  • Post subject:
The child cannot distill and analyze the parameters or elements of music – rhythm, harmony (harmonic function), melody, structure, form, and texture, i.e., perspective or musical theory if you will. Yes anyone can have a visceral response from music. I don’t think one’s six year old visceral music experiences add to a critic’s capabilities for musical theory, composition, history, evaluation, etc. Again the fact that you listened to hip-hop when you were six proves squat.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 03:31
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
The child cannot distill and analyze the parameters or elements of music – rhythm, harmony (harmonic function), melody, structure, form, and texture, i.e., perspective or musical theory if you will. Yes anyone can have a visceral response from music. I don’t think one’s six year old visceral music experiences add to a critic’s capabilities for musical theory, composition, history, evaluation, etc. Again the fact that you listened to hip-hop when you were six proves squat.

Most adults do not intellectually understand music on an analytical level. It has nothing to do with being a child, you dickhead. The majority of people of all ages and backgrounds do not engage with music on an analytical level. Go up to a stranger on the street and ask him to describe the timbre of a sound and he'll kick you in the nuts and run away. You, yourself, don't know shit. You haven't added a worthwhile opinion to any discussion in your history on this website. Not once have I seen you analyze anything except sales and popularity.

If you knew anything about music and how the brain works, you would know that one's listening experiences from infancy on shape their perception of music, and plays a role in the evolution of one's taste and understanding, and is an important aspect in determining the critic's capabilities for analysis.

As far as what my statement proves, it proves that I have experience. People learn from experience, you fucking idiot. I understand hip-hop. I didn't just start listening to it two years ago. If you want to have a conversation about hip-hop and put me to the test, be my guest. It wouldn't be worthwhile, since you don't know shit and you can't have conversation without talking about sales and popularity. Prove to me that you actually listen to music.

I'm not special. Anyone who has been listening to a certain kind of music for 17 years will obviously have a little thing we call experience with the musical elements of the genre, you fucking idiot, even if he/she is not consciously analyzing in terms of music theory. Someone who has listened to around 500 hip-hop albums, from its various subgenres, over a period of 17 years, experiencing first-hand the evolution of the genre, is going to have a good understanding of the genre. It's pretty fucking simple. Please, again, gtfo.
  • Visit poster's website