Pitchfork's Top 20 Albums of the Decade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 14:04
  • Post subject:
Ad hominem abusive, argumentum ad personam!

Let me try to make this perfectly clear. I have not been personally attacking you. I have not questioned whether or not you are an expert in anything. I have only said I found strange your naked statement of listening to music since six somehow qualified you as an expert over all of the rest of those who have done so too. I don't care how your brain works. I don't care if you think you are the savior. But I do care enough about you to suggest you may need professional help.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 15:10
  • Post subject:
[plese xcuse any mispelings. I'm on a browser with no spell chek]

Naples, it was not a naked statement. You took it out of context and failed to comprehend the full statement, resulting in a strawman argument. Here's the full quote:

"This is coming from someone whose first musical experiences were with hip-hop. Been listening to it since I was 6. I'm not one of these casual hip-hop listeners who'll throw on some contemporary mainstream hip-hop every now and then in between their indie albums, thinking they know hip-hop."

As you can see, I clearly made the disctinction between the experience of someone who has been listening to hip-hop since 6, and a casual listener who only listens to contemporary mainstream hip-hop-- the contemporary part suggesting that they only started listening to hip-hop 2 or 3 years ago, none of which is truly representative of the genre as a whole; and the casual part suggesting that they would not have the emotional connection to it of someone who grew up on it.

You completely misunderstood. Nowhere in my post did I mention other people who have listened to hip-hop since they were 6 or had similar experience with the genre, so your claim that I deemed myself an "expert over all of the rest of those who have done so too [listened to hip-hop since age 6 or had similar experience]" is a ridiculous misreading of my post. Again, point out the part where I compared myself to other people who have been listening to hip-hop since they were 6. You can not, because I did not. Here's an easier way to understand my point:

Anyone who has listened to hip-hop for 17 years [not necessarily me]>>>>A casual listener who just started a few years ago and only listens to mainstream.

It's not about me being special. Any person who has listened to hip-hop for 17 years will understand it more than someone who casually listens to contemporary mainstream hip-hop, which is hardly representative of the genre as a whole. If you think anyone (not just me) who listened to hip-hop for 17 years has had experience comparable to that of someone who just picked it up 2 or 3 years ago and casually listens to a limited selection, then you are severly mistaken. Pure reason tells us that someone like me has much more experience than those casual listeners, and would have a better understanding. My full statement, of which you only read half, was backed up by logic and simple math; it was not naked. Any nakedness was caused by your stripping of it of an essential element, i.e. one half of the comparison.

I am really sorry you misunderstood. Don't blame your lack of comprehension on the person with whom you're conversing.

You were the one who initiated this, by jumping into the conversation I was having with the Tourist. I'm not sure why you started with me this time, since I seem to annoy you so much. You seemed, at that moment, when you jumped in, to be curious how my brain worked.

How about we, right here and right now, just decide to completely ignore each other? What do you say? Deal?

look at me, maw! no insults!
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 15:50
  • Post subject:
The Tourist said: “Kanye totally rocks my world, and I think RFNAPLES will back me up on this one.” He also referred to “your hip-hop elitist viewpoint”. I questioned whether you were an elitist. I questioned the relevancy of experience gained before the age of reason. You seemed to imply that you had more experience than the Pitchfork reviewers/contributors and that only your expert opinion should be trusted. I thought you were joking.

Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.-William Congreve
Music has charms to soothe a savage breast.-William Congreve again.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 16:49
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:

I questioned the relevancy of experience gained before the age of reason.

After this, you're done. I say this in the least insulting manner possible: you literally understand nothing about humans. There is no age of reason, unless you're talking about that Thomas Paine book-- good read, by the way. All humans have an inborn ability to reason. We don't develop reason when we hit puberty, or at any other arbitrary age you've chosen to deem the age of reason. Tell me, are you joking?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 17:07
  • Post subject:
I was referring to the point when one possesses the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in orderly rational ways. Reason/intellect as a basis for knowledge, as distinct from experience or emotions, is often lacking in the six year old.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 17:12
  • Post subject:
Babies come out of the womb with the ability to reason, possessing that power to comprehend that you speak of. Do you understand the concept of something being inborn? Everyone possesses it at every point in life. This "age of reason" or "point" simply does not exist. Attempting to reword this concept of an "age of reason" does not make you look any less wrong than you already do.

During childhood our brains are more equipped and better suited for learning than the adult, and most of our essential learning takes place during this time. Pick up a book and read about the ways in which humans develop and learn during this period, which is prior to your imagniary "age of reason." Calling the experiences during this period irrelevant is a joke. This is we when we learn language, for Pete's sake. This period of experience is actually the most important in our development as humans.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 17:33
  • Post subject:
An infant has the innate ability to reason but hasn’t the capability to reason because the power or practical ability has not been developed.

Please no more semantics. You can always be right in your mind. Listen to some good music and soothe the beast.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 17:37
  • Post subject:
Rolling Eyes

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/10/2009 17:46
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
An infant has the innate ability to reason but hasn’t the capability to reason because the power or practical ability has not been developed.

That is completely false. Rewording false concepts doesn't make them true, especially when you just substitute one word for a synonym, "capability" for "ability," in a poor attempt to cover up a nonsensical statement. That's just absurd.

Poor use of semantics aside, you did nothing but tell me that the infant has the innate ability to reason but hasn't the ability to reason because the ability to reason hasn't been developed. What? The infant has the innate ability to reason but doesn't have the ability to reason? You ridiculously tried to use an obvious synonym to cover up a completely nonsenscial statement.

Why don't you just admit that you really thought the ability to reason wasn't inborn?

How can you call the experiences during our most important stage of development irrelevant? Sorry, but you don't understand anything about learning. I don't know of a nice way to say that.

Forget this. I'm supposed to be nice.

Last edited by joannajewsom on 10/10/2009 18:02; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2009 18:01
  • Post subject:
You may have been born with a car in the garage but you lacked the capability to drive it until you developed your innate ability. I may be wrong, since you may be omnipotent after all.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website