Euthanasia & Suicide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Does a human being have the right to die?
No
4%
 4%  [1]
I'm pro-suicide, but against euthanasia
0%
 0%  [0]
I'm pro-euthanasia, but against suicide
20%
 20%  [5]
Yes
76%
 76%  [19]
Total Votes : 25

Kiki

• Posted: 03/04/2013 15:44
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
I agree you have that responsibility, and I think anyone who would kill themselves while having a child is a pretty fucking shitty person for the most part.

But I defend his or her right to take their own life, whether or not they would be a shitty person for it. Much like I defend the right of racist bigots to spout hateful garbage, and how I defend the right of a heroin junkie to completely fuck up his life.

Since when did your views coincide with mine? We've gone from being on opposing sides to being quite simular. Even on the political test a few threads back I was as right on the economics as you and I was only 2 squares higher on authoritarian.

I agree with literally everything in the above post.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/04/2013 16:11
  • Post subject:
Naples is talking about moral responsibility which is obviously subjective. Well we're all talking about moral responsibility I guess, I don't think we're going to waste time talking about the legality of suicide, that really is pointless.

All I can say about suicide is that it's very easy to call people selfish for doing it but most of us have never been, or will never be, on the verge of committing suicide. I have no comprehension of what it's like to be in the mental state of somebody who actually considers that they'd be better off dead than alive. I'm immensely thankful for that and it's not my place to condemn someone for committing suicide because I can in no way relate to how they must feel in that moment in time.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/04/2013 16:11
  • Post subject:
Euthanasia should be widely available.

It would remove so much pain that those on the verge of suicide find themselves going through, and bring a lot more comfort to close friends and family. No one chose to be alive.

It's hard to put yourself into the shoes of someone contemplating suicide - we've probably all had those moments where we wish we were dead, but to not even have that smallest of pushes to suggest that one more day might just be worth living must be torture.

Can't have civil life without civil death.
Kiki

• Posted: 03/04/2013 16:18
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:

All I can say about suicide is that it's very easy to call people selfish for doing it but most of us have never been, or will never be, on the verge of committing suicide. I have no comprehension of what it's like to be in the mental state of somebody who actually considers that they'd be better off dead than alive. I'm immensely thankful for that and it's not my place to condemn someone for committing suicide because I can in no way relate to how they must feel in that moment in time.

Very true. I see what you are saying.

Also, there is the fact that the majority of people who attempt suicide and fail never try it a second time. As it is a majority that means more at least 50% (and I think the number is high still!) never try again.

So the ones which succeeded, most them would have lived a full life if they hadn't succeeded.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/04/2013 16:31
  • Post subject:
Well, maybe. I think if I really wanted to kill myself though, I'd be competent enough to be able to do it. I suspect that alot of people who have attempted and failed to kill themselves didn't really want to die in the first place.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2013 16:58
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Naples is talking about moral responsibility which is obviously subjective. Well we're all talking about moral responsibility I guess, I don't think we're going to waste time talking about the legality of suicide, that really is pointless.

I have never committed murder and don't know just how a murderer felt before or after the act, but I know it is wrong and can condemn same.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/04/2013 17:16
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
I have never committed murder and don't know just how a murderer felt before or after the act, but I know it is wrong and can condemn same.

Well there are many possible motives for killing someone, which can't really be said for killing yourself. Whilst I've never been in the same position as somebody who is contemplating suicide I can at least sympathise with their position.

For the record I do agree with you that's it's not really fair for a parent to kill themselves. I have a friend who's dad killed himself when he was about 14 or so, it messed him up for a while and I do think that, in spite of sympathising with his dad's position, he shouldn't have done something that would hurt his son like that.

That's a specific incidence though, I'd never say that suicide is always wrong because like I say, I don't know what position these people are in.

Also, out of interest, since your objection seems mainly to be that it's unfair on the relations of those who kill themselves, what if somebody had no close friends or family? Would it be acceptable then?
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2013 17:22
  • Post subject:
Suicide has a cost to society.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/04/2013 17:23
  • Post subject:
How do you intend to outlaw suicide exactly?
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2013 17:59
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Suicide has a cost to society.

All I'm seeing you do is take an opposing stance on everyone, playing the devil's advocate. What exactly is your stance?