View previous topic :: View next topic
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 23:34
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
No, I don't think anyone thinks that tax rises increase productivity Confused

Tax rises don't necessarily increase public spending either, the US has a massive deficit so why would tax rises equate to increased spending?

Only the naïve will believe the tax increases will go to deficit reduction. Look at BO, he proposed tax increases, a few spending cuts but even more new spending. It is time to close our wallets. Get rid of the waste, abuse, graft, and redirect overseas spending to domestic streamlined programs.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/08/2013 23:41
  • Post subject:
Well, possibly. I thought you meant in general that tax rises always lead to increased spending when actually money raised by the government from tax is independant of government spending.

You could still argue for tax rises and spending cuts though, regardless of whether you think Obama would do it or not.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 23:43
  • Post subject:
Let me say this one more time, he got his tax increase. Now give us serious spending cuts and a budget!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 03/09/2013 00:07
  • Post subject:
I agree with Naples, the logical solution is spending cuts, not higher taxes. Even with these added taxes, the United States won't be able to break even with the deficit.

The problem, however, is that many people are addicted their supposed "entitlements" and won't give them up without kicking and screaming down the mile.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/09/2013 00:08
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
I agree with Naples,

Shocked
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/09/2013 00:34
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
I agree with Naples, the logical solution is spending cuts, not higher taxes. Even with these added taxes, the United States won't be able to break even with the deficit.

Never said it would, just that a combination of tax rises and spending cuts would be a better way to tackle the deficit than just one or the other.

Jackwc wrote:
The problem, however, is that many people are addicted their supposed "entitlements" and won't give them up without kicking and screaming down the mile.

What sort of "entitlements" are you talking about?
L Lawliet

• Posted: 03/09/2013 03:24
  • Post subject:
Too bad both parties are as scared of reducing the military budget as they are scared of the NRA Laughing

Seriously the defence budget of the states is *hyperbole*

Justice is not a frivolous thing, Simpson. It has little if anything to do with a disobedient whale.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 03/09/2013 04:06
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I take issue with the word "entitlements" used in the general sense cause it's actually a very ambigious term. Often it seems to refer to the retirement-based Social Security and Medicare programs (as well as Medicaid), though some may see anything the government gives out as an entitlement. However, it can also be argued that those who speak out against entitlements that help the poor and middle class often are for protecting "entitlements" to the rich, such as corporate subsidies and a much lower overall tax rate for the wealthiest than the percentage of wealth in the country they actually own.

I think yes that we can actually lessen the need for "entitlements" (although Im not against Social Security, and I think Medicare/Medicaid should be broadened to cover all age groups) if we actually help people get out of the rising household debt and poverty rates that creates a greater need for goverment assistance. Yeah that may mean helping more people acquire skills and employment through college, vocational training and job assistance programs, though of course many may seem that as "entitlements".

However, is it not an entitlement for some to be able to attend higher education because their parents can afford it, and it automatically is when someone without the financial resources, who wants to attend school or training without having to go into student debt or take on an extra off-campus work schedule just to afford it, recieves some help? Is it because one's from the government and the other's from well-to-do family members? And doesn't a society benefit from a very well-trained and educated workforce, considering that those well-off who complain about any government role in their country or their own lives will ultimately reap the consequences of a lack of qualified employees to fill their job positions and steady decline in consumer demand as the workforce's earnings continue to diminish?

And yes, I also take issue that we can do one deficit-reduction idea but ignore the other, largely cause one is more popular and fits with a certain small-government idealogy, but as revenue keeps dropping cutting whatever (which is often what those who preach these "cuts" often vaguely refer to) will only need to keep increasing as well. I think someone needs to have the courage to say we need to do what's not at all popular (mainly asking for personal sacrifices, from people across ALL income levels) in order to really have a future in the global economy. And doing only one thing you find suitable will ultimately do nothing but kick the can down the road, eventually hitting a massive brick wall.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:01
  • Post subject:
Taxes in the US are still low, compared to other developed nations.

This isn't an either/or proposal, Naples. I'm not saying that spending cuts (given the MASSIVE debt) aren't needed. I'm saying that along with spending cuts, perhaps a small sales tax will help the US government whittle down the deficit.

Sales taxes usually exempt necessities like milk and bread. In that case, the more you spend, the more you pay. It's as fair as you can get. In some places, the sales tax is higher on luxury items.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2013 17:13
  • Post subject:
Taxes are inherently unfair.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website