French tourist in London.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/03/2013 20:51
  • Post subject: French tourist in London.
Hi all! Say, I'm going to London in early May with my good lady who's never been there. I've been in London a number of times, but my last stay there dates back from quite a bit, and my personal guide (i.e. my memory) is totally outdated I'm afraid... So, if some of you Londoners or occasional passers-by of the capital could give me some advice as to things to see, places to have a pint to some good music, cool nights out, must-be's and should-see's of all kinds, I'll gladly take any piece of advice. Oh, and: the main museums I know about Smile Cheers!
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/03/2013 20:52
  • Post subject:
Go see the London Eye and The Tower of London.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/03/2013 21:32
  • Post subject:
A few things I would recommend:

- Broadway Market in Hackney on a Saturday. Some lovely fresh food stalls, not to mention some cool little boutiques and vintage clothes stalls, both at the main market and the nearby Netil Market. Surrounded by good pubs too.

- Cafe OTO in Dalston is great, and always has interesting gigs on. I'd definitely recommend checking their website to see if there's anything good on whilst you're in London.

- I tend to recommend avoiding Camden like the plague (unless you've never been there - everyone should see it once - but I assume you have considering you've been to London a few times before), but if you want to do some vinyl shopping the Music & Video Exchange there is very well stocked and reasonably priced.

- Some pubs I like, in no order: The Mucky Pup, Angel (a bit of a dive, but it has a nice atmosphere and a jukebox full of punk, alt. rock and classic rock); The Duke of Wellington, Dalston (well stocked real ale pub in the trendy (increasingly gentrified) Dalston); The Shakespeare, Stoke Newington (busy but not too busy, nice selection of drinks and pub snacks, good music); The Albion, Broadway Market (London's premier West Bromwich Albion pub, and thus a favourite of mine, always have a couple of nice premium lagers on tap, and a couple of decent ales, plus it's a nice size); Euston Tap, Euston Station (just outside Euston Station, which is odd considering I never thought I'd recommend a train station pub, but the Tap's selection of ales is stunning, the decor is lovely, and they get plenty of natural light in a cool upstairs bit, plus it's very central so is definitely worth popping into at some point).

- If you fancy a night of hardcore punk, you should check out what's on at The Old Blue Last. I've been a couple of times, and though it isn't my scene it is a fun night, if a tad intense.

- Fat Gold Chain at Charlie Wright's in Shoreditch is a cool hip-hop night, though it's only once a month and you might miss it, but it's always good fun, and the atmosphere is great.

- You should really visit the Big Chill Bar off Brick Lane (Shoreditch/Liverpool Street), the burgers are lovely, the cocktails there are great and the music even better. The Rough Trade shop is right nearby, with a great selection of interesting forgotten classics and the latest releases, not to mention an array of strange fanzines and magazines. Brick Lane is also the place to go for a good curry in London, so I'd recommend making a day of it. Definitely one of the more interesting places in London, and not (quite) as forced and insincere as Camden can seem.

Anyway, hope that helps.
L Lawliet

• Posted: 04/03/2013 22:08
  • Post subject:
I swear this thread was titled

"French terrorist in London"

Justice is not a frivolous thing, Simpson. It has little if anything to do with a disobedient whale.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/03/2013 23:56
  • Post subject:
Whenever I go to London I get really scared and it takes about a year for me to find the courage to go back.

So sorry, no good advice for you Laughing
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/04/2013 20:23
  • Post subject:
Thanks lethal (particularly for the selection of pubs and venues, probably what I'm looking forward to most)! I'm taking good note of everything you advised. We will go to Camden though, my lady comrade here definitely wants to see the place (she's never been to London).

Thanks also to Cymro. I sort of knew about these, but still Smile
  • Visit poster's website
greenly

• Posted: 05/03/2013 06:57
  • Post subject:
I swear this thread was titled
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/03/2013 07:06
  • Post subject:
Confused
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/03/2013 09:07
  • Post subject:
Everything you didn't need to know about London.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 05/03/2013 16:18
  • Post subject:
Screw Abbey Road. It's a zebra crossing with a million tourists. Instead, find the alley behind the Savoy Hotel and stage your own Dylan homage.

Link

Screw Oxford Street. It's massive brand-name shopping, much like a mall anywhere. Go to Portobello Road. Way cooler. It's also got Rough Trade, always worth checking out.

...if the season is still going, try to get tix for a football match. Fulham or Leyton Orient should be possible.