Question and Answer Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/16/2013 14:20
  • Post subject: Question and Answer Thread
I thought maybe instead of having a number of different threads asking simple questions about best albums, songs or bands we could have a thread where people can pose answers and anyone can chip in to answer.

So, just to get things started:
What's your favourite Velvet Underground Album and Why?
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2013 14:35
  • Post subject: Re: Question and Answer Thread
Puncture Repair wrote:
I thought maybe instead of having a number of different threads asking simple questions about best albums, songs or bands we could have a thread where people can pose answers and anyone can chip in to answer.

So is this a game where we answer the last question and pose a new question? Or is it just free-for-all Q&A, which I think is actually much less organized than having individual threads for it.

Anyway, VU&N is by far my favorite VU album. I really think their debut was the height of their career, working with Andy Warhol and his throwing Nico into the mix. Lou Reed's vocals work, but not all the time, and I think Reed shines on his singing tracks, and Nico shines on hers. Honestly I don't think Lou Reed was ever as great as in "Sunday Morning" or "I'm Waiting for the Man".

I think I'd say Loaded is their second-best album, kind of a last hurrah for Lou Reed before he went off on his own. They're a great band, but they never reproduced the greatness of their debut.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 05/16/2013 14:36
Puncture Repair wrote:

OK, why not.

My favorite VU album is the first, because 1) it is absolutely amazing etc, everybody knows why, and 2) I hate their second album (too much noise and unpleasant things going on), their third album is only very good, and their last is just good. So the choice is pretty obvious for me, and I really don't see the VU as an all-time great band. One album is not enough. That said, though suddenly falling in love with one of their last two would surprise me a lot, it's not unlikely that one day, I finally "get" WL/WH and become a fan.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/16/2013 14:41
EyeKanFly wrote:
So is this a game where we answer the last question and pose a new question? Or is it just free-for-all Q&A, which I think is actually much less organized than having individual threads for it.

Just a thread for any quick questions on music, no game.

Maybe it'll be total chaos, and if that's the case this thread should just fade away and all will be well.
Kiki

• Posted: 05/16/2013 14:52
  • Post subject:
Velvet Underground and Nico. I like the most songs from it. Two albums afterwards, while having heights, have some fairly weak parts. While it has a nice sound overall, Loaded doesn't have defining moment for me. I don't think I have listened to any more after that one.

I was asked a question a week or so ago on here which went along the lines of "Why do you listen to albums which you know you're obviously going to hate?" I've paraphrased a little but it went along the lines of that.

The question: Do you ever decide not to listen to an album because you know you'll "hate" it? If so, apart from hearing music from it already, what reasons help you reach your descision?
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/16/2013 14:56
  • Post subject:
Well my favourite VU albums (and album of all time) is WL/WH, that album opened my eyes to show me that there are absolutely no rules to making music. You don't need to follow any kind of song structure or even have much skill with and instrument to make something sound great.

From my chart:
Quote:
This album is a poorly recorded, fucked up disaster thought up by a bunch of drug addicts in 2 days. That's exactly why I like it. When I first heard this album I though it was completely stupid and I hated it but after a few days I figured what the hell? I'll give it another listen. After I was about halfway through Sister Ray something just clicked, i stopped hearing it as just random noise and it actually started growing on me. From that moment on I just started to love it more with every listen. It might be complete chaos, but it's the most perfect chaos I've ever heard.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/16/2013 15:27
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Do you ever decide not to listen to an album because you know you'll "hate" it? If so, apart from hearing music from it already, what reasons help you reach your descision?

I think all albums are worth my time, because otherwise I won't be able to form an opinion over it.
That said, I probably won't be listening to One Direction any time soon. I'm not against pop music, as most people aren't on this site, but I think image and sound comes into play a lot. We know One Direction are going to sound squeaky clean and sign about teenage-love, which just makes me want to throw up. As compositions, I'm sure I couldn't fault One Direction, they're perfectly decent pop tunes, but an artist like Janelle Monae is eccentric, funky and a very talented vocalist. Musically either one probably isn't above one another, but I know which I'd rather spend my time with.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 05/16/2013 16:04
  • Post subject:
Question 1: White Light/White Heat because I have a mad crush on Marsha Bronson (thank god that dumbo Waldo is dead amirite)

Question 2: hell ya. How else would I sift through the billions of albums out there? I've never heard full albums by Oasis, Pearl Jam amongst others due to the fact that I don't think I'd enjoy them. An album has to provide me with some kind of incentive to listen to it, whether it be a rec from a friend, liked a song that I'd previously heard, genre that I'm currently into, or even a cool album cover. If its not enticing in any way ill probably not listen to it
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 05/16/2013 16:15
  • Post subject:
I ignore question 1 because I've only heard TVU&N.

an_outlaw wrote:
The question: Do you ever decide not to listen to an album because you know you'll "hate" it? If so, apart from hearing music from it already, what reasons help you reach your descision?

m b v. I don't like tge shoegaze genre at all. But I wouldn't say I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to try it. It's just very low on my priorities if it is one.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/16/2013 16:25
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
I ignore question 1 because I've only heard TVU&N.

You should seriously listen to their discog. Like now. Go.
  • Visit poster's website