Force? Assertion?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 05/31/2013 22:51
  • Post subject: Force? Assertion?
Do you think it is possible to force yourself to like an album? By force yourself I don't mean pretend to like it. I'm not talking of such things at all. Perhaps assert an album onto yourself may be a much better term?

Stuff like listening to an album on repeat for much of the day, clearing your mind before going in, thinking of reasons to like it etc.

As long as the enjoyment is genuine, I believe it can be done in some cases. There is hardly any music out there which can be called "unlikeable". What are peoples thoughts on what I have to say?

• Posted: 05/31/2013 22:55
  • Post subject: Re: Force? Assertion?
an_outlaw wrote:
There is hardly any music out there which can be called "unlikeable".

I disagree completely. There is definitely music out there I'm never going to like no matter how hard I try (at least when I'm sober).
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2013 23:04
an_outlaw wrote:
Do you think it is possible to force yourself to like an album? By force yourself I don't mean pretend to like it. I'm not talking of such things at all. Perhaps assert an album onto yourself may be a much better term?

Stuff like listening to an album on repeat for much of the day, clearing your mind before going in, thinking of reasons to like it etc.

As long as the enjoyment is genuine, I believe it can be done in some cases. There is hardly any music out there which can be called "unlikeable". What are peoples thoughts on what I have to say?

I don't think genuine enjoyment can be forced. You may force yourself to listen to something with extra attention, leading you to liking it, but that's different. Repeated listens can reveal new things about an album. But I think there's plenty of albums I'll like less the more I hear it, or attempt to force myself to like it.

I challenge anyone to like an album by CrazyTown
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/31/2013 23:06
meccalecca wrote:
I don't think genuine enjoyment can be forced. You may force yourself to listen to something with extra attention, leading you to liking it, but that's different. Repeated listens can reveal new things about an album. But I think there's plenty of albums I'll like less the more I hear it, or attempt to force myself to like it.

Challenge accepted. What would you say is their least impossible to enjoy?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2013 23:12
swedenman wrote:
I disagree completely. There is definitely music out there I'm never going to like no matter how hard I try (at least when I'm sober).

When I stopped saying exactly that and opened my mind to whatever, I have found myself enjoying a lot more music than I used to.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2013 23:15
swedenman wrote:
Challenge accepted. What would you say is their least impossible to enjoy?

People bought this one, so I assume it's their least impossible to enjoy

Any ICP fans in the house?
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 05/31/2013 23:17
meccalecca wrote:

It is entirely possible to enjoy a great deal more albums if you were commited to enjoying them. I'm not saying to pretend... you have to look into yourself truthfully. You may find yourself deciding to dislike some before you even listened. Perhaps people pick there dislikes with the same vigueur they do their favorites?
Kiki

• Posted: 05/31/2013 23:18
Romanelli wrote:
When I stopped saying exactly that and opened my mind to whatever, I have found myself enjoying a lot more music than I used to.

There we go Mr. Green I couldn't have said anything better.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2013 23:30
an_outlaw wrote:
It is entirely possible to enjoy a great deal more albums if you were commited to enjoying them. I'm not saying to pretend... you have to look into yourself truthfully. You may find yourself deciding to dislike some before you even listened. Perhaps people pick there dislikes with the same vigueur they do their favorites?

I agree. Your subconscious mind plays a very large role in your likes and dislikes. Prejudices build walls that can be near impossible to break down. I think opening your mind to music is a very important thing.

That said, I don't think you can force yourself to like something. That would be more like tricking yourself.

Have you ever read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell? The book talks a lot about the conditioning of the brain and subconscious prejudices. I think you'd find it incredibly interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 05/31/2013 23:39
  • Post subject:
Didn't you call post-rock as a genre boring and stupid and unlikable, an_outlaw?
  • Visit poster's website