51%
 51%  [37]
U.K.
48%
 48%  [35]
Total Votes : 72

• Posted: 06/24/2013 23:41
  • Post subject: American vs British Music
Which country do you think currently has, and has had the best music? The US or UK?
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/24/2013 23:44
  • Post subject:
Germany!
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/24/2013 23:54
  • Post subject:
Japan!

• Posted: 06/24/2013 23:56
  • Post subject:
I don't understand why we worry so much about where the music came from, or think of it as a "Who had better music?" yadda yadda scenario, because it all comes down to the music itself for me, regardless of where it come from...
Also, why are the options just UK and US?

But, If I were to go off of my chart, it would be US by a little bit.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2013 23:59
  • Post subject:
I voted US because I just barely have three more US albums than UK albums, but looking a little deeper, most of my favorite artists seem to be British. Other than Metallica, I think just about all my other favorite bands are British... Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden... weird how that works out. But idk... there seem to be bigger names that I love from the UK, but I think the US has more bands that I like.

• Posted: 06/25/2013 00:27
  • Post subject:
For me, I have a strong preference for Alternative Rock over Classic Rock, so it's the US for me. But that goes without mentioning that the US also invented Jazz, Hip-Hop, Soul, etc.
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2013 01:06
  • Post subject:
US, by far. Though I think it's pretty cool to get into the music of other countries, as well. I think German artists have made more of my very favorite albums than UK artists.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/25/2013 01:10
  • Post subject:
My chart is 45% american, only 8% British. Go figure.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2013 01:14
  • Post subject:
For me it's really divided, but my favorite artists are from the UK. I think it's easier to pick the US because there's just more of the United states than the United Kingdom. It stands to reason that more people means more musicians, and it stands to reason that more musicians means more great music.

But look at BEA's overall. Over half of the top 1000 are from the US, but only 5 of the top 20 are from the US (1 of the top 10; 20 of the top 50; 43 of the top 100). [Compare to the UK: 8 of the top 10; 25 of the top 50; 48 of the top 100]. I think my theory stands. Britain has more of "the best" music, but less music overall? I guess.

As a side note, I think both Fleetwood Mac and The Jimi Hendrix Experience should be considered mixed nationality. Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham (despite the surname) are American, even though the band formed in the UK (and the rest of the members are British). On the other hand, the Jimi Hendrix Experience formed in London, and both Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell are British.

I think a more interesting poll would be asking about cities rather than countries. I know I've discussed a lot with friends whether New York or Los Angeles has better music, and including London, Manchester, Berlin, Paris, Chicago, etc. to the mix might be interesting.
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2013 01:16
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
But look at BEA's overall. Over half of the top 1000 are from the US, but only 5 of the top 20 are from the US (1 of the top 10; 20 of the top 50; 43 of the top 100). [Compare to the UK: 8 of the top 10; 25 of the top 50; 48 of the top 100]. I think my theory stands. Britain has more of "the best" music, but less music overall? I guess.

Yeah, but a lot of that is just because the UK has The Beatles and Radiohead, as well as a lot of classic rock like Led Zeppelin/Rolling Stones/Pink Floyd, all of which tend to dominate these sorts of lists. All of those stats are coming from a comparatively smaller amount of bands.

dunno what point I tried to make with this, just an observation
  • Visit poster's website