14%  [3]
Total Votes : 21

meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2013 15:03
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Humans are born with pure ears, and the first time they hear something is the apex of sensory experience. If someone with little exposure to music hears something which they like or dislike, then someone with more desensitized ears should acknowledge that the newcomer has the benefit of purity.

The phenomenon of so called "developed taste" is much like a producer having his ears adjust to a bad mix over time. A newcomer can walk in and instantly tell that the mix is off, but the producer is oblivious to this fact due to overexposure.

I've studied film for a few years, so my instincts on good storytelling are clearly untrustworthy compared to the non-film-literate, who can read a script I've written and enlighten me if they don't get it. With the benefit of unfamiliarity with narrative convention, the non-film-literate gets straight to the heart of the film experience, which my education has dulled.

Great point. I definitely attempted to raise the concept of "developed taste" at some point, because that's really what this is about. Competitive spirit has caused people to want to rank everything rather than accept that subjectivity and art cannot really be ranked objectively. Over time our sense of hearing changes, our brain changes, our understanding of language changes, so tastes change/develop around those changes. A non English speaker will have a very tough time comprehending the genius of poetic lyricism by an English speaker.

We're often impressed by things that we cannot understand. Repeated listens can reveal ornate nuances or tragic flaws. A first listen may be the purest, but also the most easily fooled.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/26/2013 15:50
  • Post subject: Re: re: No Accounting for Taste
Shadowolf wrote:
Ultimately, I don't agree with "taste is subjective" because people are going to devote time and their whole life experiences to music waaay completely differently... and so, *value* music differently. Furthermore, people thirst to hear new sounds in music differently.. some people don't seek it at all.
My friend I'd mentioned in the OP (who does not listen to music outside of clubbing; has never attended a concert...) was absolutely baffled I spent money to see Echo & the Bunnymen and a reunited Throbbing Gristle, when I could've used it for BlizzCon ('cause Diablo 3). His cousin defended me, "He has a set of different priorities". If we value music so completely differently, is our music taste really equal? Still, he overshadows me in other areas (film and culinary arts), and I'd never dream to equate myself to him in that. We're different people with different interests in different depths, and that's cool.

Yes people devote more/less time to music than others, but how does that make their opinions more/less valid? Sure someone who only puts their time into listening to chart pop is not going to have a great understanding on Throbbing Gristle (or atleast hold an opinion that one who likes TG is going to agree with) but that doesnt make their opinion on music less valid. Your reasoning for placing tastes below yours is based off criteria that you value over others. I havent been to as many concerts as most people here Im sure, so what does that mean? My taste is lesser than those who have been to hundreds? Just because you like concerts more than me (which for argument sake lets say is true) doesnt mean you have a better music taste. Just because you listen to bands that others havent heard of doesnt mean anything. They obviously dont care enough to look into Echo & the Bunnymen so why should that matter? You dont have to look into every obscure segment of music to have good taste. My friend has good taste in pop music. So what if he doesnt know who Tuxedomoon is? Ill to him for pop recs over you so what does that tell you? People fit in niches everywhere and music is no different. Its not better or worse, its different. Just because I specialize in hockey knowledge doesnt mean I cant talk about sports in general.

Shadowolf wrote:
Also, since Necharsian defend his pop music friend, I'm not trashing radio pop music (well, entirely; hey, I enjoy some myself). I've an internet buddy whose music "specialty" is mainstream pop, the way I obsess over post-punk, and I've the same respect of her taste as I do the others in our lil' 'net group (one who's into classical, another with harsh noise, etc). She loves not just Western radio pop, but Asian pop too (I'd consider her most versed in this, with some stuff I'll admit is pretty great)... still, she also loves Einsturzende Neubauten, and listens to Gorgoroth as much as Celine Dion. To me, her stance is kinda like, "I know it exists, I like it a lot. But I love what I love more."
Anyway, just saying, the idea applies to being an overall fan of mainstream pop too.

I think everything you are saying is how you personally value others' music opinions. In that sense I sort of agree in that I like seeing people with diverse tastes. But its not a necessary attribute for one to claim they enjoy music. And it's certainly not one that someone needs to have in order to have a valid opinion. Like ive said, people who specialize are much more knowledgable in that certain field.

Also Dave, I love you.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 07/26/2013 17:52
  • Post subject:
I see subjective vs. objective arguments, but no one has explained why it matters so much. Honestly, to me, they both blend in. I see no different between them because it still all boils down to opinion, which I've decided has nothing to do with either of them. Why did I decide that? Because I'm me and I deserve to make all the decisions.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2013 17:59
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I see no different between them because it still all boils down to opinion, which I've decided has nothing to do with either of them.

This makes no sense at all. Opinion = subjectivity.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 07/26/2013 17:59
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
This makes no sense at all. Opinion = subjectivity.

No it doesn't because I said so.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2013 18:01
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
No it doesn't because I said so.

Well, you're objectively wrong. Your Dad approach of saying "Because I said so" doesn't work on me.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 07/26/2013 18:04
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Well, you're objectively wrong. Your Dad approach of saying "Because I said so" doesn't work on me.

Well, subjectively, I'm correct. So ha.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2013 18:05
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Well, subjectively, I'm correct. So ha.

So are the Mormons
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 07/26/2013 18:07
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
So are the Mormons

I thought they were a myth. Have you ever seen a mormon?
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2013 18:08
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I thought they were a myth. Have you ever seen a mormon?

I've met plenty. They're very friendly, and sometimes a bit creepy. They just happen to follow a false prophet and base their lives around a completely ridiculous religion that makes no sense
  • Visit poster's website