RS 500 thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:18
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
I thought Pink Floyd was prog rock. Well, it's hard to discriminate against Pink Floyd, though. But no Genesis is practically insane whether it's the Peter Gabriel era or the Phil Collins era. And I've heard four Rush albums (2112, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Clockwork Angels) and they are all way better than some of the albums on this list (gonna give Love It to Death another listen since it wasn't that great the first time...)

I will give them some credit, since they included So. But there are at least three Genesis albums better than So, in my opinion.

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:18
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
I thought Pink Floyd was prog rock.

They were, but, like Queen, they were also very mainstream. The same cannot be said for Yes, Genesis, or King Crimson. As for Rush, RS just hates them and always has.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:21
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
They were, but, like Queen, they were also very mainstream. The same cannot be said for Yes, Genesis, or King Crimson. As for Rush, RS just hates them and always has.

It's hard for them to look the other way at everything that Rush has done though, considering how influential they are.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:24
  • Post subject:
Rolling Stone isn't fond of progressive rock.

Even on the note of Pink Floyd, their albums aren't nearly as high as they should be. Wish You Were Here not being in the top 200 is kind of odd...

Rush, Yes, Genesis and King Crimson (especially) should have albums on this chart, it isn't like they wouldn't fit in...

And there's no In The Aeroplane over The Sea... But I'm not too surprised with that for some reason.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:25
  • Post subject:
Something I didn't mention: The chart is also heavily 60s and 70s biased, like EXTREMELY 60s and 70s biased.

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:25
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
It's hard for them to look the other way at everything that Rush has done though, considering how influential they are.

Eh, I like Rush, but I'm not sure I'd consider them terribly influential. Oh well, I suppose it's debatable.

EDIT: Well, I guess a lot of prog metal bands owe them, but not many terribly good ones, imo Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 11/26/2013 23:27; edited 2 times in total
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:27
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Eh, I like Rush, but I'm not sure I'd consider them terribly influential. Oh well, I suppose it's debatable.

Have you seen the documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage? It really gives great insight on how influential they really are.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:27
  • Post subject:
Someone *cough*Listmeister*cough should start to run lists on how much of this is American or British or white or "rock" based. Or maybe all of those would just be the same list..
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:28
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Someone *cough*Listmeister*cough should start to run lists on how much of this is American or British or white or "rock" based. Or maybe all of those would just be the same list..

Applause

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:29
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
Have you seen the documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage? It really gives great insight on how influential they really are.

I haven't, actually, though I've wanted to for a while. And yeah, I guess I spoke too quickly. They had a pretty big impact on the prog metal scene in the late '80s and '90s. Though, to be fair, RS cares even less about those bands than they do about Rush.