RIP Chuck Berry

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure why a compilation is his most popular release. It's not like he had sporadic releases or anything, and he definitely wasn't a 'singles' artist. He has some solid albums. Berry Is On Top is a phenomenal album. I'd take it over The Great Twenty-Eight any day. Same with After School Session.


Berry Is On Top is a compilation album in everything but name (there was one new track on it...and it was forgettable). Take a look at the tracks and when they were recorded.

Chuck Berry was pretty much the definition of a singles artist. And his output in the mid to late 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, and 10's was far less than sporadic.,..it was non existent. Why? Because his career was built on those 28 songs. And the two tracks you posted at the beginning of this thread are included on...The Great Twenty-Eight. His last 40 years of touring was playing almost nothing that isn't on that compilation.

You'd take Berry Is On Top over the 28? 8 of the 12 tracks on your preference are also on the 28...and the 28 album contains 20 more tracks that are far superior to the 4 others on Berry Is On Top. Sorry...I just don't get it. Is it because Berry Is On Top is not listed as a compilation (even though it actually is)?
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history


Last edited by Romanelli on 03/19/2017 21:37; edited 2 times in total
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

The Great Twenty-Eight by Chuck Berry

All you need to know.


Completely disagree. He wrote more than 28 songs worth hearing and has plenty of excellent longplays.




The Great Twenty-Eight is all you need to know about what made him great. Those 28 tracks are far superioir than the combined careers of most artists, and certainly greater than any of the studio albums he released in his lifetime.

And, hey...thanks for taking the time to respond like that. I'm sorry you disagree that anyone not familiar with his work would be best served to go to this album. Sorry it's a damn compilation. I know how y'all hate those around here. But some, this included, are essential and the best collection of an artist's work.
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
I think your word choice was poor is all. All you need to know implies there's really nothing else to listen to and I think even you don't agree with that. But it is a great compilation record for a man known for singles.
  • Quote
Romanelli wrote:
And, hey...thanks for taking the time to respond like that. I'm sorry you disagree that anyone not familiar with his work would be best served to go to this album. Sorry it's a damn compilation. I know how y'all hate those around here. But some, this included, are essential and the best collection of an artist's work.

Totally agree with this. Great 28 is the perfect place to start for new listeners of Chuck Berry. If intrigued, listeners can then pursue his other work. Nothing wrong with compilation albums, especially when it comes to older artists or artists with broad careers.
  • Quote
I think listening to compilations is better than not listening, but most of those songs come from only four albums, each about 12 songs long. 48 songs is not so daunting if you're going to listen to 28 already. Listened to them last night and this is the order in which I liked them.


Chuck Berry Is On Top by Chuck Berry
Might be a semi-compilation, but its the first instance of these songs showing up on an LP, so I treat it as an album.


St. Louis To Liverpool by Chuck Berry
The recording quality is noticeably cleaner and that makes a big difference to me.


One Dozen Berrys by Chuck Berry


After School Session by Chuck Berry
_________________


My Charts at http://www.besteveralbums.com/usercharts.php?u=27982

My Radio Show at http://www.facebook.com/tender.wmbr
  • Quote
Romanelli wrote:
Gowi wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

The Great Twenty-Eight by Chuck Berry

All you need to know.


Completely disagree. He wrote more than 28 songs worth hearing and has plenty of excellent longplays.




The Great Twenty-Eight is all you need to know about what made him great. Those 28 tracks are far superioir than the combined careers of most artists, and certainly greater than any of the studio albums he released in his lifetime.

And, hey...thanks for taking the time to respond like that. I'm sorry you disagree that anyone not familiar with his work would be best served to go to this album. Sorry it's a damn compilation. I know how y'all hate those around here. But some, this included, are essential and the best collection of an artist's work.


no idea why are you this defensive all the time. all i said is i disagree, for fucks sake this is why i don't engage you anymore

shit, this is why i dont know if i want to be on BEA at all anymore
  • Quote
Roman, people can disagree with you. There's no need to get hyper-defensive and aggressive.
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote
Romanelli wrote:
Berry Is On Top is a compilation album in everything but name. Take a look at the tracks and when they were recorded.

You'd take Berry Is On Top over the 28? 8 of the 12 tracks on your preference are also on the 28...and the 28 album contains 20 more tracks that are far superior to the 4 others on Berry Is On Top. Sorry...I just don't get it. Is it because Berry Is On Top is not listed as a compilation (even though it actually is)?


Meh, Berry Is On Top isn't really a compilation. None of those songs had been released on an album before, they were just singles (four years old at the most). Compilations are more-or-less compiled of songs off of other albums. I have a hard time calling it a compilation, but I see where you're coming from.

And I'd definitely take Berry Is On Top over The Great Twenty Eight. 60+ minute greatest hits albums aren't really my thing. It's overload. I'm not saying that the songs on it are bad or anything, I'm just saying I don't see the point in listening to it when his albums are just as enjoyable.

I dunno. Maybe it's just two different world. All good though.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
dmercado wrote:
I think listening to compilations is better than not listening, but most of those songs come from only four albums, each about 12 songs long. 48 songs is not so daunting if you're going to listen to 28 already. Listened to them last night and this is the order in which I liked them.


Chuck Berry Is On Top by Chuck Berry
Might be a semi-compilation, but its the first instance of these songs showing up on an LP, so I treat it as an album.


St. Louis To Liverpool by Chuck Berry
The recording quality is noticeably cleaner and that makes a big difference to me.


One Dozen Berrys by Chuck Berry


After School Session by Chuck Berry


Add:


From St. Louie To Frisco by Chuck Berry


Rockin' At The Hops by Chuck Berry
  • Quote
What Paul Simon said on Facebook:

I would say no songwriter influenced my generation to a greater degree than Chuck Berry.

"Deep down Louisiana close to New Orleans /
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens /
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood /
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode"

For me, it was like a magical place to hear about this description of rural America. It's like Zora Neale Hurston territory -- an amazing bit of writing for the '50s and something that left a powerful impression with me, who was just beginning to play guitar.

- Paul Simon

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] [Closed] Best Ever Guitarist: Chuck B... RockyRaccoon Tournaments
The Great Twenty-Eight by Chuck Berry Guest Music
[ Poll ] [Closed] Best Ever Guitarist: Chuck B... RockyRaccoon Tournaments
[ Poll ] BER Round 1: stic.man vs. Chuck D [CLSD] Guest Tournaments
R.I.P. - Chuck Brown Captain_Dude Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.