A "Greatest Hits" Albums Collection For Your Kids

Goto page Previous  123456  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
Bobby,

I checked out your list. I'm gonna check out this album that I didn't know existed...


Dreamland by Joni Mitchell

...to see if I prefer it to


Hits by Joni Mitchell

Some artists, and Joni might be one, seem ill-served by the concept of a greatest hits album.


Exactly. I like the songs on Dreamland better even though only a few were we're even singles. Her Hits album is good but doesn't seem very special to me. She doesn't really have a super- great best of. That's why I chose Dreamland.
  • Quote
Here's a rough recording of my little girl, my wife and I learning Joni's "The Circle Game" last Christmas. It's already part of her memory, which I love.

https://soundcloud.com/rkmansley/song-diary-1-learning-the
  • Quote
Bobby,

Dreamland has some representation of Hejira (my fave album), and Hits has none. Dreamland also had 'The a Jungle Line from Hissing of Summer Lawns (probably my fave on that album). Dreamland for the win!
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
Here's a rough recording of my little girl, my wife and I learning Joni's "The Circle Game" last Christmas. It's already part of her memory, which I love.

https://soundcloud.com/rkmansley/song-diary-1-learning-the


That was cool. I heart-ed it and left a comment. Who's the adult singing ? is that your wife? She's a good singer.
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
I didn't realise that. Would they be as well known as Crowded House or Neil Finn's solo material?


Don't Dream It's Over was a bigger hit then the other ones. So crowded house is more well-known to Americans. And now that I think about it I probably heard the split-enz songs on a Canadian station. I live on the border and when I was younger I listened to the Toronto stations. Although I know that I got you was an actual top 40 hit in America and the other two we're probably Canadian hits.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:
Here's a rough recording of my little girl, my wife and I learning Joni's "The Circle Game" last Christmas. It's already part of her memory, which I love.

https://soundcloud.com/rkmansley/song-diary-1-learning-the


That was cool. I heart-ed it and left a comment. Who's the adult singing ? is that your wife? She's a good singer.


Cheers! Now I need to check out Buffy Saint Marie. The adult is my wife.
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:
Here's a rough recording of my little girl, my wife and I learning Joni's "The Circle Game" last Christmas. It's already part of her memory, which I love.

https://soundcloud.com/rkmansley/song-diary-1-learning-the


That was cool. I heart-ed it and left a comment. Who's the adult singing ? is that your wife? She's a good singer.


Cheers! Now I need to check out Buffy Saint Marie. The adult is my wife.


The Buffy sainte-marie cover is absolutely Wild. You'll never forget it.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:
Here's a rough recording of my little girl, my wife and I learning Joni's "The Circle Game" last Christmas. It's already part of her memory, which I love.

https://soundcloud.com/rkmansley/song-diary-1-learning-the


That was cool. I heart-ed it and left a comment. Who's the adult singing ? is that your wife? She's a good singer.


Cheers! Now I need to check out Buffy Saint Marie. The adult is my wife.


The Buffy sainte-marie cover is absolutely Wild. You'll never forget it.


Oh man, it's awful! That vibrato. That tempo. Make it stop.
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:
Here's a rough recording of my little girl, my wife and I learning Joni's "The Circle Game" last Christmas. It's already part of her memory, which I love.

https://soundcloud.com/rkmansley/song-diary-1-learning-the


That was cool. I heart-ed it and left a comment. Who's the adult singing ? is that your wife? She's a good singer.


Cheers! Now I need to check out Buffy Saint Marie. The adult is my wife.


The Buffy sainte-marie cover is absolutely Wild. You'll never forget it.


Oh man, it's awful! That vibrato. That tempo. Make it stop.


Lmao. I told you. You'd never forget it. Ha ha ha. I'm trying to remember the other folk guy who did it. I think it was Tom Rush. it's pretty nice if I remember correctly. He was a popular folk singer in the sixties and he has a pretty good voice.
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
While I agree - it's a fantastic list, I am missing something from the 2000s. Maybe even a bit more from the 90s?

2010s... IDK. I'm having a hard time falling in love hard with any new artists. There's some cool ones, don't get me wrong, but they just aren't on that same level... dunno. Probably me.

Does anyone find an artist who debuted in 2010 or later is on par with top 50 artists of all time? I mean maybe Kendrick? He's the only one in the top 50 of this site who almost debuted past 2010, and even he isn't a favorite of mine. Total quality and totally deserves that spot in the top 50, absolutely. He lacks a pop flavor I like from the likes of Dr. Dre, OutKast, or Kanye, and for outside of rap, those who are listed in the top 50. But then again, that's one of his biggest strengths, right?

IDK - thoughts on new music - music from the 2000s/90s which you'd have your kids listen to?
I'd also add some Jazz and Classical to that list.

Here's my list I'd add to yours: (best of type stuff too)
The White Stripes
Nirvana
Beck
Smashing Pumpkins
Weezer
RHCP
Foo Fighters
Arcade Fire
Muse?
Coldplay?

From your eras I would add to:
R.E.M.
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Motown
And then like a rockin' 50s mix
Maybe only take out a couple

Classical:
Beethoven
Mozart
Bach
Vivaldi
Tchaikovsky
Handel
Copland

Jazz:
Armstrong
Prima
Billie Holiday

Mind you my kid is a baby and I haven't really thought about it probably as much as you.


Yeah, I'm having trouble finding artists from the new millennium, and from the 90's to some degree. Part of the problem is that out of the artists that I like, they haven't released a greatest hits. You would think that someone like Coldplay would have a greatest hits album, but no. I guess in the download era, people just buy the single songs they like, which negates the need.

Foo Fighters, who are really the quintessential modern radio rock band have one. I'm listening now. All killer, no filler (although it's from 2009, so nothing from Wasting Light 2011, which is perhaps one of their stronger albums).
Mental Note: f-bomb on Word Forward (mind you, James Taylor drops "chicken-choking, motherf%#king" on his greatest hits)


Greatest Hits by Foo Fighters


Last edited by rkm on 09/21/2017 18:52; edited 1 time in total

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123456  Next
Page 5 of 6


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
The Greatest Greatest Hits Albums rkm Music
[ Poll ] Greatest Hits Albums: Your Opinion Guest Music
Suggestion: Exclude Greatest Hits Alb... drivebytornado Suggestions
Greatest Hits albums EveryCheapHood Suggestions
Youโ€™ve only got 5 greatest hits alb... rkm Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.