An Idiot Listens to 2017

Goto page Previous  123 ... 8910, 111213  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Also curious if the Arca thing was Bjรถrk fans or really was an independent thing? I mean for notoriety sake. I guess it's cool Arca did Bjรถrk?
  • Quote

Aromanticism by Moses Sumney

This has some serious depth to it that I don't think I'm catching on the first listen. Quite the amazing work.
  • Quote
I don't know who suggested this album, but I'm very thankful to have listened to it. Some of it either is grower material or perhaps they could have shortened the album. There's a part of me that wants to put them with Arcade Fire (good) and a part of me that wants to put them with The Airborne Toxic Event (less good to almost meh, probably won't listen to that often).


Go Farther In Lightness by Gang Of Youths


So I listened to this and first time around I kinda didn't like it... it was like the musical version of The New Girl or something... idk, you know the "cute" music. But somehow it grew on me a little past that, like when sometimes my wife is watching the New Girl and I get sucked in for 10 minutes and then realize it's garbage. But I'm not saying this is garbage more that show... idk. It might grow on me, it had some moments.

Even if it played with kind of boring things, it also had some uniqueness to the guitar parts - super subtle, but slightly interesting nonetheless. The quirky lyrics maybe made me laugh (something about intercontinental friends and continental breakfast).


Lotta Sea Lice by Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile


Now on to this... seems like some good rapping and complex music over it, but I've yet to "like it". In other words, clear quality music, but I don't think I like it:

Brick Body Kids Still Daydream by Open Mike Eagle
  • Quote
I wanna say this about Kendrick, but not sure if I'm putting them in the same box...

Seems like a new genre - unique musical feel here. It's like more cerebral and experimental... idk. I'm an idiot but I feel a pattern/feel here that seems like a "new" movement in music not sure if defined? Maybe Acid Rap is in with is? idk. I realize they aren't all the same (particularly, Moses), but still... it seems interesting. Don't know what to think about it, what to like about it...help? haha. So far it's been harder to understand (Kendrick took probably 2 years and it helps Damn. is his most cohesive effort (more than a mixtape, imo)... musically, not conceptually of course as previous efforts had great conceptual cohesiveness.


Aromanticism by Moses Sumney


Brick Body Kids Still Daydream by Open Mike Eagle


Flower Boy by Tyler, The Creator
  • Quote

Shade by Living Colour

I imagine I'd really like this record. Riff rock. Solid vocals and the whole bit. But idk... something felt stale, even if the vocals and guitars were strong. Syncopated. idk... lots of elements of music I like, but somehow stale...
  • Quote
3 songs in and loving it...


Visions Of A Life by Wolf Alice
  • Quote

Link


My sister shared this with me.

It's alright.
  • Quote
I liked the attitude of Energy when I first heard it, but when I got the album the energy kind of fell flat. Still alright quasi punk rock here though.

Dada by B Boys

Another one I at first glace was taken by. The spaghetti of guitar work (a good thing) and overall feel of the lyrics/vocals/tone of music. It was kind of refreshing as I hadn't heard something like this in a while, but about 6 songs in I was bored. Not a lot of dynamics on the album.

A Hairshirt Of Purpose by Pile


Me oh my, crawfish pie! This album is absolutely fantastic. I'd put it on par with Fiona's Idler Wheel album. Each track is unique and intriguing. Easily going into my top 20 of 2017 (probably... heha)

Semper Femina by Laura Marling


I was also quite taken by this album there were maybe two dry moments, and there was a second or two where I felt like I was listening to a injected molded plastic pop album, but those moments were brief. Overall pretty fantastic.

What Now? by Sylvan Esso

This reminded me a bit of the Lotta Sea Lice album. Not musically, but the feel of it.

City Music by Kevin Morby
  • Quote
Well I finally finished my 1000 song journey of 2017 (I think I did a bit more because it wasn't until later I realized Google Music - something I'm trying out - only allows 1000 songs on their play lists).
  • Quote
I couldn't get into this one... idk. Maybe it's the genre or the execution or I'm just not into it or maybe I just need to listen to it again (some of my favorite albums I didn't like at first).

Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples

I wasn't into this at all and I don't think it was like the album above. Ok pop single is totally different than the rest of the album (imo) and it just doesn't jive.

Woodstock by Portugal. The Man

My first impression was this is a knock off of a knock off of a knock off and wasn't that interested, and then I kept listening and was like - huh... this guy actually plays with some of those vintage musical ideas more than any other vintage musician and he actually writes pretty good pop tunes. By the end of the album I was a believer.

Undivided Heart & Soul by JD McPherson

This was like, wow at first. Even classic soul albums drag a bit at times. Totally fits in with an aesthetic I love. I didn't know anything about her, so I looked her up and just like Charles Bradley, they were life long musicians, but didn't really release a record until Daptone picked em up. Kind of really interesting if you ask me. Besides his single going up in flames, I actually like Sharon's record better.


Soul Of A Woman by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

This album at first wasn't really interesting, and then I picked up on something. She's like a 50's crooner, which is interesting because usually that's a dude, right. I just imagined 50's high school dances the whole time I was listening to this and it turned it into something else. I likely am wrong with my assessment, but that's my reading of it. I want hear her cover Earth Angel or Mr. Blue or something.


Please Be Mine by Molly Burch

I heard she's from the Middle East somewhere, so I was like, wow, she really is hitting this style on the head. I think she does it even better than the real thing. Never was a fan of 70s soft rock, yet this made me want to listen.

Bedouine by Bedouine

I think I'm just too old for this... haha. To be honest I haven't thought someone was musically full of themselves in a long time. I realize that's a negative interpretation which likely isn't true, but I feel like this is musically pushing boundaries just to be cool and not for a humanity reason to do so if that makes any sense. It's the first time I really thought an artist was pretentious. And again I'm likely wrong. There were some times when I almost bought it and to be honest - it is impressive.

Needle Paw by Nai Palm

This didn't leave any impression on me whatsoever:
This Is The Kit

I didn't finish this album. I got 4 songs in - got interrupted and didn't feel like coming back. Convince me I'm wrong.

Witness by Benjamin Booker

Same with this one. Not appealing at all, but I know I'm not giving it a chance either. Convince me I'm wrong.

Orc by Thee Oh Sees

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 8910, 111213  Next
Page 9 of 13


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
An Idiot Listens to Western Music: Co... RoundTheBend Music Diaries
Your own top 2017 albums & overal... Nyoink77 Music
How many listens is enough? pearljammer13 Music
Listmeister listens -- Electric Ligh... Listmeister Music Diaries
Grogg listens to music grogg Music Diaries

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.