Grunge vs Britpop

Goto page Previous  123, ... 131415  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Britpop or Grunge?
Britpop:
49%
 49%  [28]
Grunge:
50%
 50%  [29]
Total Votes : 57

  • Quote
drakonium wrote:
Yann wrote:
Pulp is quite the opposite of grunge in terms of sound. Very tight a sound, almost irritating.
Blur had a much more supple (not sure of the word) sound, and they eventually integrated grunge sound in their eponymous album

PS: impressed by your english, sounds like native speaker :)

Well I meant that Pulp's record is my favorite record considering both grunge and Britpop records, but it's definitely not grunge indeed ๐Ÿ˜„ Though if we're talking about irritating, a song such as Girls & Boys (and I love this song) is to me, more or less, the definition of irritating.

Thanks for the PS haha, tbh it's not always been like that ; I learned most of it here on the forums (and I mean it seriously!). I'm not nearly as confident when I'm speaking though, because there's much less room for thinking about the order of the words or the right one to use (and let's not even talk about the accent...). It's also how you learn it at shcool : through writing, much more than through speaking. I really need to spend some time in an English-speaking country to fluidify things. Mais tu n'es pas en reste non plus, ton anglais aussi est nickel ๐Ÿ˜‰


Yes, BEA is definitely a good English school (because we end up writing quite often, because the subject is of interest to us all). As for English language, grammar is the easiest part, and the rest is what makes a good level, i.e: richness of vocabulary, variety of idiomatic expressions (as for any language), use of phrasal verbs..., etc. Very difficult to reach. And speaking is even more difficult, I agree. You should see me mumbling, waiting for words to come out.. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Quote
DanielNunes93 wrote:
Everything is better than britpop!


So much truth.

Britpop, to me, is the absolutely worst genre ever.

But I like Blur at times...

AT TIMES.
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
So much truth.

Britpop, to me, is the absolutely worst genre ever.

But I like Blur at times...

AT TIMES.

That's a pretty bold statement haha. How can someone who loves U2, Coldplay and The Beatles so much dislike Britpop so hard? I mean, what game-changing differences may make Coldplay's pop-rock some of the best ever while making Pulp's belong to the "worst genre ever"? Or did I take you too literally?
  • Quote
I never did see how grunge was anything but just regular old Hard Rock. It was just guitar rock, that's all. Not that I didn't like any of it, because I did. Britpop was a bit more entertaining, so I voted Britpop.
  • Quote
As for britpop, my favourite album would be this, which happened before the term britpop.


The La's by The La's
  • Quote
As for grunge, my favourite album would be this, which isn't really all that grungy.


Superunknown by Soundgarden

But I also still like this and a lot Pearl Jam's catalog, so I'm voting grunge.


Ten by Pearl Jam
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
I never did see how grunge was anything but just regular old Hard Rock. It was just guitar rock, that's all. Not that I didn't like any of it, because I did. Britpop was a bit more entertaining, so I voted Britpop.

This. Other than nirvana I wasnt that fussed. Pearl Jam just sound like any other other hard rock shit. Britpop was my thing for a while, I was the right age. There was some great music in britpop, unfortunately not a massive amount album wise but singles wise there was. I'd rather listen to Menswear than Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. This is a very good album britpop wise if you don't know it...
Love And Other Demons by Strangelove
  • Quote
I abstained; I like both as much. Maybe a little more Britpop because Oasis' hymns and Pulp's Different Class touch me more than any Grunge but then I appreciate how Grunge got into the mainstream (MTV!) while being so different to the pop-rock most people were used to, and I highly respect musicians like Eddie Vedder.
  • Quote
manurock wrote:
I abstained; I like both as much. Maybe a little more Britpop because Oasis' hymns and Pulp's Different Class touch me more than any Grunge but then I appreciate how Grunge got into the mainstream (MTV!) while being so different to the pop-rock most people were used to, and I highly respect musicians like Eddie Vedder.


Do you mean urban hymns? That was the verve.
  • Quote
Thereโ€™s a lot of good Britpop albums in-between the sea of mediocrity that came after The Stone Rosesโ€™ debut. I can, however, say with confidence that Grunge simply had a wider catalog of better albums โ€“ but maybe thatโ€™s because Grunge was even more oversaturated in terms of releases than Britpop was. Vote for Grunge. But love for both. Anyone who says Britpop is a dumpster fire hasn't listened to anything but the tip of the iceberg.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123, ... 131415  Next
Page 2 of 15


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] Rec me some Britpop! Guest Music
Britpop JohnnyRocketFingers Music
Britpop Calling theblueboy Music Diaries
Could there be a second wave of grunge? RepoMan Music
Nu metal/post-grunge fans? Smithy98 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.