Best Year For Music- Semifinals- Part 1: 60's, 70's, & 8

Goto page Previous  12345  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which Year Was Best? The Semi-Finals
1966:
4%
 4%  [2]
1967:
24%
 24%  [12]
1969:
26%
 26%  [13]
1970:
0%
 0%  [0]
1971:
28%
 28%  [14]
1977:
10%
 10%  [5]
1980:
0%
 0%  [0]
1984:
6%
 6%  [3]
1989:
2%
 2%  [1]
Total Votes : 50

  • Quote
PurpleHazel wrote:
I didn't get around to saying this in the 70s thread, but what also makes 1971 so dominant for me is that it was such an incredible year for R&B as well as rock. Arguably the two greatest R&B albums of all time (and certainly the most influential) came out then: What's Going On and There's A Riot Going On. Throw in Maggot Brain and Pieces of a Man and it's the best year for R&B of all time. Not too shabby for a year considered one of rock's best.

Great year for jazz-rock too: The Inner-Mounting Flame, the first Weather Report album (S/T) and (A Tribute to) Jack Johnson.


Bingo! Rock, Fusion, R&B, all peaked right then and there. A perfect musical storm.
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
[quot e="AAL2014"]
When you say Miles Davis is the co-MVP of American music, who is the other co-MVP?


Fred Durst, duh.


It saddens me nobody laughed at this. So I will. ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ :lol:



I caught it but failed to respond. I laughed but immediately thought of his face with the red backwards ball cap and the beard (which Lars Ulrich later sported) on Mount Rushmore along with JB, Miles, and Dylan and cringed a little.


๐Ÿคฃ

Wait... is JB, Justin Bieber?[/quote]

Of course! ๐Ÿคฃ

James Brown. Fuck even Jackson Browne. Or Jeff Beck although he isn't even American. Yikes perhaps even James Blunt before Justin Bieber. Toss up on that one.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
[quote= "sethmadsen"][quot e="AAL2014"]
When you say Miles Davis is the co-MVP of American music, who is the other co-MVP?


Fred Durst, duh.


It saddens me nobody laughed at this. So I will. ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ :lol:



I caught it but failed to respond. I laughed but immediately thought of his face with the red backwards ball cap and the beard (which Lars Ulrich later sported) on Mount Rushmore along with JB, Miles, and Dylan and cringed a little.


๐Ÿคฃ

Wait... is JB, Justin Bieber?[/quote]

Of course! ๐Ÿคฃ

James Brown. Fuck even Jackson Browne. Or Jeff Beck although he isn't even American. Yikes perhaps even James Blunt before Justin Bieber. Toss up on that one.[/quote]


๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ
  • Quote
manurock wrote:
Thanks AAL for all the work in organizing this exciting competition. I would have also made a semifinal with 3 decades per post as you have done. I am glad to see, so far, that the 70's and 60's are beating the 80's, something I deeply think (speaking generally, of course).

Looking at my overall chart, out of the surviving years, I am going to choose 1969 because I have 4 fantastic classic albums from different rock genres in the top 50: In the Court of the Crimson King (landmark of progressive rock), Everybody knows this is nowhere (country rock/hard rock), Abbey Road (innovative pop rock) and Led Zeppelin II (hard rock/blues rock).


It's been my pleasure, I've had a ton of fun and learned a lot with many great recommendations! I do agree with you as well in that the 60's and 70's resonate more with me.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote
The only thing that surprises me here is the poor showing for 1980. I found it to be a great year for albums and easily the best year of the 80s. But I can't argue with all the other front-runners. All were awesome years.

Actually, 0 votes for 1970 is quite surprising too. Considering how good it was.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
The only thing that surprises me here is the poor showing for 1980. I found it to be a great year for albums and easily the best year of the 80s. But I can't argue with all the other front-runners. All were awesome years.

Actually, 0 votes for 1970 is quite surprising too. Considering how good it was.


Yup, I'm very surprised at the lack of 1980 votes. I didn't think it would have as many as 71 or 67 at this point but I thought it would have done well. But I've seen a few crazy comebacks in these polls so far. 1984 I believe being one of them coming from 4 or 5 votes back to move on so who knows what will happen.

Still a few more days to vote before the second half of the semifinals featuring the 90s, 00s, and 10s.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote
'77. Not just the year punk broke, but a great year for jazz too


Chicago Slow Dance by George Lewis


Solo Concert by Leroy Jenkins


Tromboneliness by Albert Mangelsdorff


By Myself by Abdul Wadud


Shadowgraph by George Lewis


Statements V-XI For Double Bass & Violone by Barry Guy


Company 4 by Company

And many other greats that don't appear in my overall
  • Quote
Tomorrow will be the last day to vote before we get the finalists for the most recent 3 decades. Since 4 will move on, the 4th finalist is still up in the air.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
The only thing that surprises me here is the poor showing for 1980. I found it to be a great year for albums and easily the best year of the 80s. But I can't argue with all the other front-runners. All were awesome years.

Actually, 0 votes for 1970 is quite surprising too. Considering how good it was.


Maybe it's like people not voting for Bernie Sanders, because they see it as a wasted vote. Instead, they vote for the year they think is going to win, rather than the year they like the most.
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
The only thing that surprises me here is the poor showing for 1980. I found it to be a great year for albums and easily the best year of the 80s. But I can't argue with all the other front-runners. All were awesome years.

Actually, 0 votes for 1970 is quite surprising too. Considering how good it was.


Maybe it's like people not voting for Bernie Sanders, because they see it as a wasted vote. Instead, they vote for the year they think is going to win, rather than the year they like the most.


Too soon, bro. Too soon.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345  Next
Page 4 of 5


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
[ Poll ] Best Year For Music-Semifinals: Part ... AAL2014 Music
[ Poll ] Best Year For Music- Round 1-Part 3: ... AAL2014 Music
[ Poll ] Best Year For Music- Round 1-Part 6: ... AAL2014 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.