Britpop Calling

Goto page Previous  123 ... 282930 ... 444546  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Love and other Demons by Strangelove

Credit has to go to Graeme again for this one, as I'd never even heard of this band until a few weeks ago. This is really good-it's got a lot of energy, kind of like the first Suede album, but more emotional and really BIG sounding. To be honest, this is probably the heaviest britpop album I've heard. When they rock out, they really go for it.

The other group they really remind me of is Gene on their second album as the singer's voice is so similar (and therefore very much like Moressey). Also, it seems a similar sort of emotion-romantic loss and yearning type of thing. At times I cant believe this isn't Gene, although I think this is a step up from that band. I think the guitar work is lighter and more ferocious-Strangelove just have more fire power.

Sometimes they veer from quiet to loud in a way that feels a bit ungainly and occasionally I feel the vocals are just a bit too wobbly, but these are pretty minor problems. This isn't quite a "lost britpop classic"-I'm not sure if such an album exists-but it may be as close as we are going to get. I'm surprised at how good it is and when it is good it really soars. Fans of early Suede, Radiohead and Manics should really check this out.

I don't know Strangelove's other two albums but on this evidence I should investigate ๐Ÿ˜„
  • Quote
Michael1981 wrote:

Love and other Demons by Strangelove

Credit has to go to Graeme again for this one, as I'd never even heard of this band until a few weeks ago. This is really good-it's got a lot of energy, kind of like the first Suede album, but more emotional and really BIG sounding. To be honest, this is probably the heaviest britpop album I've heard. When they rock out, they really go for it.

The other group they really remind me of is Gene on their second album as the singer's voice is so similar (and therefore very much like Moressey). Also, it seems a similar sort of emotion-romantic loss and yearning type of thing. At times I cant believe this isn't Gene, although I think this is a step up from that band. I think the guitar work is lighter and more ferocious-Strangelove just have more fire power.

Sometimes they veer from quiet to loud in a way that feels a bit ungainly and occasionally I feel the vocals are just a bit too wobbly, but these are pretty minor problems. This isn't quite a "lost britpop classic"-I'm not sure if such an album exists-but it may be as close as we are going to get. I'm surprised at how good it is and when it is good it really soars. Fans of early Suede, Radiohead and Manics should really check this out.

I don't know Strangelove's other two albums but on this evidence I should investigate :)


I'm listening to a couple of these songs while I'm waiting for the train. As usual I enjoy listening to the guitars and I prefer this guy's singing to most of the other britpop guys. Especially all those Belle and Sebastian imitators. Heh heh. Or else it's the opposite and they tried way too hard sound like rockstars. But I could listen to this without getting turned off.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

Love and other Demons by Strangelove

Credit has to go to Graeme again for this one, as I'd never even heard of this band until a few weeks ago. This is really good-it's got a lot of energy, kind of like the first Suede album, but more emotional and really BIG sounding. To be honest, this is probably the heaviest britpop album I've heard. When they rock out, they really go for it.

The other group they really remind me of is Gene on their second album as the singer's voice is so similar (and therefore very much like Moressey). Also, it seems a similar sort of emotion-romantic loss and yearning type of thing. At times I cant believe this isn't Gene, although I think this is a step up from that band. I think the guitar work is lighter and more ferocious-Strangelove just have more fire power.

Sometimes they veer from quiet to loud in a way that feels a bit ungainly and occasionally I feel the vocals are just a bit too wobbly, but these are pretty minor problems. This isn't quite a "lost britpop classic"-I'm not sure if such an album exists-but it may be as close as we are going to get. I'm surprised at how good it is and when it is good it really soars. Fans of early Suede, Radiohead and Manics should really check this out.

I don't know Strangelove's other two albums but on this evidence I should investigate :)


I'm listening to a couple of these songs while I'm waiting for the train. As usual I enjoy listening to the guitars and I prefer this guy's singing to most of the other britpop guys. Especially all those Belle and Sebastian imitators. Heh heh. Or else it's the opposite and they tried way too hard sound like rockstars. But I could listen to this without getting turned off.


Strangely the last four tracks on the album are the best ones for me. Spiders and Flies is my favourite- it's properly grandiose sounding.

Belle and Sebastian imitators? Oh yeah, there was that whole quiet is the new loud thing. Not much good came from it as I remember hehe.
  • Quote
Michael1981 wrote:
How deep is your love (of Britpop)? Round 2

I can't resist another round-it was so entertaining (in the the wrong ways) the last time!

First up, it's a new entry from Salad. Jimmy Dread advised that this is their best track. Let's see...

Link

Oh, that was much improved. A proper tune in fact! Naughty video ๐Ÿซข

Salad are this week's winners \:D/


First, I like your presentation: little intro, the video, the verdict.

Second: this Salad song is indeed very good, nice discovery for me! UK top 10 material ! (unfortunately only Nยฐ66 in february 1995, the british public were probably replete with Elastica by then..)
And, yes, you are right. the video is most interesting (see at 3:34, the female singer is both vulgar, smart and sexy!)
  • Quote
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

Love and other Demons by Strangelove

Credit has to go to Graeme again for this one, as I'd never even heard of this band until a few weeks ago. This is really good-it's got a lot of energy, kind of like the first Suede album, but more emotional and really BIG sounding. To be honest, this is probably the heaviest britpop album I've heard. When they rock out, they really go for it.

The other group they really remind me of is Gene on their second album as the singer's voice is so similar (and therefore very much like Moressey). Also, it seems a similar sort of emotion-romantic loss and yearning type of thing. At times I cant believe this isn't Gene, although I think this is a step up from that band. I think the guitar work is lighter and more ferocious-Strangelove just have more fire power.

Sometimes they veer from quiet to loud in a way that feels a bit ungainly and occasionally I feel the vocals are just a bit too wobbly, but these are pretty minor problems. This isn't quite a "lost britpop classic"-I'm not sure if such an album exists-but it may be as close as we are going to get. I'm surprised at how good it is and when it is good it really soars. Fans of early Suede, Radiohead and Manics should really check this out.

I don't know Strangelove's other two albums but on this evidence I should investigate :)


I'm listening to a couple of these songs while I'm waiting for the train. As usual I enjoy listening to the guitars and I prefer this guy's singing to most of the other britpop guys. Especially all those Belle and Sebastian imitators. Heh heh. Or else it's the opposite and they tried way too hard sound like rockstars. But I could listen to this without getting turned off.


Strangely the last four tracks on the album are the best ones for me. Spiders and Flies is my favourite- it's properly grandiose sounding.

Belle and Sebastian imitators? Oh yeah, there was that whole quiet is the new loud thing. Not much good came from it as I remember hehe.


Yeah I know. All those singers were too cute by half. LMAO. I really don't see any.point in having cutesy singers in rock bands. Lol
  • Quote
I was looking at a list of Britpop bands for ones that I never heard of, and I read a little bit about each of these. I'm
gonna see what some of them are like. First I'm going to listen to Kinky Machine because it said they were like Mott the Hoople. And I just can't imagine.

So do any of you guys know any of these albums?? Do you like any of them??


Bent by Kinky Machine


The Big 3 by 60 Ft. Dolls


White On Blonde by Texas


Fun? by The Candyskins


Drugstore by Drugstore
  • Quote
I know that you shouldn't pre-judge bands by their names, but all these names sounded pretty awesome to me. Heh heh.
  • Quote
Yann wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
How deep is your love (of Britpop)? Round 2

I can't resist another round-it was so entertaining (in the the wrong ways) the last time!

First up, it's a new entry from Salad. Jimmy Dread advised that this is their best track. Let's see...

Link

Oh, that was much improved. A proper tune in fact! Naughty video ๐Ÿซข

Salad are this week's winners \:D/


First, I like your presentation: little intro, the video, the verdict.

Second: this Salad song is indeed very good, nice discovery for me! UK top 10 material ! (unfortunately only Nยฐ66 in february 1995, the british public were probably replete with Elastica by then..)
And, yes, you are right. the video is most interesting (see at 3:34, the female singer is both vulgar, smart and sexy!)


Thanks for the feedback Yann ๐Ÿ˜„ Yes, If only Salad had more songs like this. It does sound like it should have been a hit. I was mainly worried about whether all the dancers were wearing underwear. I think they were at least but deliberately ambiguous in the video ๐Ÿ™„

The singer is definitely kind of cool ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
I was looking at a list of Britpop bands for ones that I never heard of, and I read a little bit about each of these. I'm
gonna see what some of them are like. First I'm going to listen to Kinky Machine because it said they were like Mott the Hoople. And I just can't imagine.

So do any of you guys know any of these albums?? Do you like any of them??


Bent by Kinky Machine


The Big 3 by 60 Ft. Dolls


White On Blonde by Texas


Fun? by The Candyskins


Drugstore by Drugstore


Where do you find all these bands Bobby? ๐Ÿคฃ

I have not heard of Kinky Machine, but yeah they sound amazing from the name and your description hehe.
Drugstore had that song with Thom Yorke I think? I remember them for something, anyway. Good call, worth checking out.

I used to quite like Texas. Very middle of the road pop rock but they had some good songs. I knew the album they did after that one. Candyskins and 60ft dolls are familiar names but I cant recall their music.

I will google all the above for research purposes and I'm going to stick on that Texas album in a minute. I'll probably save Kinky Machine for the weekend though ๐Ÿคฃ .
  • Quote

What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis

Oh man. My difficult relationship with this band continues. I thought I would like it more than Definitely Maybe and I did-but only slightly ๐Ÿ˜•

I have the same problem with the songs. Mostly tuneful but not really exciting on the whole. I think my main issue is with Liam's vocals though, which I don't really relate to at all and this makes it hard to get into the music. The guitars again seem a bit overdone with the distortion. The cynical part of me thinks that they may have revved up the distortion to disguise the lack of musicianship on display.

I do like some of the quieter moments. She's Electric is quite jaunty and I find it more charming and playful than the rest of the album. My favourite is Cast no Shadow. I find this very pretty, very well produced and Noel Gallagher's backing vocals save the day!! The better known anthems are not really doing ot for me though.

I'm sure there is something I'm just not getting again. I read Noel Gallagher say that Definitely Maybe was about dreaming of being a Rockstar and What's the Story was about living this dream. That makes sense. There must be something in this idea that people related to and found honest and accessible in Oasis' songs.

I guess I'm a bit of a britpop snob as I prefer the bands who were clever and cheeky more than this, which seems to be more "the people's music". I still think this is a decent/good album but it's definitely not one of my favourites.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 282930 ... 444546  Next
Page 29 of 46


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] Grunge vs Britpop LedZep Music
[ Poll ] Rec me some Britpop! Guest Music
Britpop JohnnyRocketFingers Music
Swearing and name-calling Guest Suggestions
[ Poll ] ENDED London Calling Vs. Ramones (ACT) Hayden Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.