20&18 in review

Goto page Previous  1234  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: 2018 was...
totally lit, fellow kids:
20%
 20%  [5]
it's a bird, it's a plane, it's... TARIFF MAN:
0%
 0%  [0]
self-important word vomit that comes across like bad GCSE poetry:
4%
 4%  [1]
Hayden rhymes with Canadian:
8%
 8%  [2]
Saint Theresa, MAY I interject?:
8%
 8%  [2]
"insuperior":
8%
 8%  [2]
20 minutes of heaven:
0%
 0%  [0]
Just another Cis-Het white man reviewing 2018:
8%
 8%  [2]
Do you think there will be more movies based on comic books next year?:
4%
 4%  [1]
You think that's Improvised Music:
4%
 4%  [1]
GODDDABBIT SKY WHERE IS MASOCHISM>>?!!!!:
4%
 4%  [1]
Adpocalypse:
4%
 4%  [1]
Best Track: the one with the trap snares:
4%
 4%  [1]
Amazon Go Away:
4%
 4%  [1]
BAWPs love 2018:
4%
 4%  [1]
Rock those Low-Cut Jeans like it's 2005:
0%
 0%  [0]
ChiefRockaNewsFeed:
4%
 4%  [1]
I Was in the 212, and then Grimes and Elon came and pooe'd on you:
4%
 4%  [1]
Are the Regrettes L... nvm:
0%
 0%  [0]
Oh well, we can always just blame Benpaco:
8%
 8%  [2]
Total Votes : 25

  • Quote
StreetSpirit wrote:
There was only one major post in this thread in all of 2018:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10464

That needs to change. Somebody please give us all songs from recent years, or baseball players, or something.


Oh I forgot about that.

Also I didn't know it existed for a while.

Also some awesome lists.

Also I'll second or third or whatever that the poll options are fantastic.
  • Quote
Many people are calling this year one of the best of the decade, but I feel it was second to worst. Like no year before, I heavily disagree with the canon (some of them, like Daughters, Earl Sweatshirt, Beach House and Car Seat Headrest, I found trully awful).
I barely made it to 100 and it was kind of painful, I don't know how some find time and energy to listen to hundreds of releases. This is the year I cut ties with indie-related genres, I just find most of the new stuff boring.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
They aren't groundbreaking by any means, but they are pleasant to listen to.


Aztlรกn by Zoรฉ
Hayden wrote:
I'll put the Zoรฉ record in my queue

Zoรฉ are getting blander with each release, this time they tried incorporating Meso-American imaginery to their washed-out sound but it came off as superficial. In contrast, an album who's celebrated for doing it right is:

Moctezuma by Porter

And if you want Latin American indie from this year, this one is getting all the praises:

Lance by Niรฑos Del Cerro
  • Quote
https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20935

Here's a thread for 2018 spotify playlist recaps if anyone is interested in posting a few songs they were into in 2018.
  • Quote
After reviewing and updating my charts, I have it as #7 out of the 9 years of the decade. But that's not a bad thing at all as I think it's been a pretty darn good decade, easily better than either of the two that preceded it.
  • Quote
Fischman wrote:
After reviewing and updating my charts, I have it as #7 out of the 9 years of the decade. But that's not a bad thing at all as I think it's been a pretty darn good decade, easily better than either of the two that preceded it.


I'd love to see that list.
  • Quote
Fischman wrote:
After reviewing and updating my charts, I have it as #7 out of the 9 years of the decade. But that's not a bad thing at all as I think it's been a pretty darn good decade, easily better than either of the two that preceded it.

that's an interesting way of doing it... for me, i think i'd something like:

1. 2015 (268)
2. 2017 (278)
3. 2018 (218)
4. 2014 (424)
5. 2016 (161)
6. 2010 (116)
7. 2011 (132)
8. 2012 (140)
9. 2013 (140)

keep in mind though, the results skew in favor of the latter half of the decade in part because i listened to way more albums from the more recent years (noted in parenthesis). the correlation is not quite one-to-one, but it's pretty significant. also, as you'd expect, this doesn't account for all the obscure albums i listened to that aren't in the database, but even those generally favor 2014-2019.
_________________
follow me on the bandcamp.
  • Quote
Here's my 80 albums of 2018 that I think are all great (though I've left off things like the Tyshawn Sorey album because I need to spend more time with it or hip hop because you should be hearing about that from someone who knows what they're talking about)



and here are some charts to tell you about how I listened to music this year







  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
I'd love to see that list.

Upon further review, I've bumped 2018 up to 6/9.

It's worth noting that my assessment is will have almost nothing in common with either popular or current critical analysis as I have no love for hip hop or modern pop, so the current dominant musical genres are absent from my year by year look at the decade.

1. 2012
I have this at the top just by a squeaker, and then as much for the diversity of great albums as for the actual level of greatness of those albums. There's also some sentimental attachment to this year with old favorites releasing excellent new albums.

2. 2017
This is an absolutely killer year for prog in terms of quantity, quality, and variety. For me, a great, even exciting year, although the relative lack of highly ranked albums from my usual broad array of genres is also a drawback.

3. 2015
This year is to jazz what 2017 is to prog. 8 of my top 10 are jazz, all stellar, and covering the great breadth of the genre. Sadly, not a lot else going on on the upper tier of my chart.

4. 2016
A strong year with a good variety of quality releases including prog, jazz (both new and reissue), straight metal, alt metal, and especially symphonic metal, and some resurgent classic rock.

5. 2014
Another great year in jazz. I assess this year much the same as 2015, just a couple notches lower.

6. 2018
I may be skewing this one a little high because it's the first year in a couple decades thatI've really lived as it's happened rather than going back and getting caught up after the fact. It's been great fun. Good variety, too. First time I've been excited about a new singer/songwriter in a long tome.

7. 2010
A good variety year with blues and solo female artist joining my more oft appreciated genres in the upper echelons. Only my #1 is one for the ages though, so the year still drops relative to the decade.

8. 2011
An odd year for me. The one and only time since the beginning of time I have a country album at the top of my list, although it may still be displaced by one of my favorite symphonic metal albums. After that, things drop off pretty rapidly though.

9. 2013
Plenty of good releases, but no really outstanding ones so the overall result for me is a rather blah feeling year overall. Nothing jumps out and says "what a great year for music!"
  • Quote
I'll keep up my newsfeed going into 2019. Here's a great one from usatoday to start off the new year. An article with absolutely no purpose, no rhyme or reason. I just wanted to read something nice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mus...447902002/
  • Quote
2010's year rankings:

1. 2016
2. 2013
3. 2015
4. 2017
5. 2010
6. 2012
7. 2018
8. 2014
9. 2011
_________________
All time

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1234  Next
Page 3 of 4


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Best Tegan and Sara review ever AlexZangari Music
Why do you review music albums? Guest Music
[ Poll ] Can someone review my list please? tonagamu Lounge
Posting an album review/rating before... ross93 Suggestions
(It's Not War) Just The End Of Love -... Kiki Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.