for 69 my biggest recommendation for you would be the Catherine Ribeiro + 2bis album for some very powerful songs. But also the Golden Rain compilation for some gamelan. And if you're interested in some of the wilder electronic music of the time, Luc Ferrari's Heterozygotes is a classic piece, and the Andre Almuro album and Ruth White - Flowers Of Evil are also incredible.
FischmanRockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMasterProfile Land of Enchantment
For '69, trying to avoid the usual mega-names like Beatles/Stones/Zep and trying to stick with things that are still at least related to your top selections so far, I offer the following:
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (okay, so he's a mega-name, but I can't not mention it!)
Joe Henderson - Power to the People (one of the greatest jazz saxophone albums of all time, dripping with the social attitude of the day)
Johnny Winter - Johnny Winter. This guy was the blues rock phenomenon long before Stevie Ray Vaughan showed up.
Fairport Convention - Unhalfbriciking. Not exactly obscure, but not mega either. But well worth considering either way.
The Nice - Nice. Great example of early neo-classical progressive rock. Big with intense music fans but completely unknown otherwise.
Sun Ra - Atlantis
Valhalla - Valhalla. Here's a relatively obscure one. They only released this one album, but it is a great example of organ-heavy hard rock.
FischmanRockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMasterProfile Land of Enchantment
Blackfoot - Strikes. Had two minor and now largely forgotten hits. Highway Song is a great hard southern rock anthem in the vein of Skynyrd's Free Bird.
Bruford - One of a Kind. Absolutely killer fusion album from Yes' drummer. Incredible guitar work from the incomparable Allan Holdsworth.
Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings. Progressive masterpiece from Genesis' guitarist.
FischmanRockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMasterProfile Land of Enchantment
The Cult - Sonic Temple. Not exactly obscure, but a great alt-roc/alt-metal release that deserves more ink.
Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry. A progressive metal masterpiece. Through Different Eyes and At Fate's Hands are two of the greatest songs ever to come out of the genre and the rest of the album is almost as solid.
Little America - Fairgrounds. Now here's an obscure, short-lived band (this is the second of their only two albums). A wonderful blend of folky/Americana vibe with a sort of indie vibe before indie was a thing.
I'm finding this incredibly charming, since I started cheking out album from this site the same way you do. I joined in 2015 so I first explored 2015, then 2005, 1995...and so on.
For 1969 I would firstly recommend The Stooges self titled debut, which might be your cup of tea judgint by your overall chart.
After that, you might check out my relatively fresh 1969 chart.
I know Starsailor though I think I was a little harsh in my reception, may have to revisit that alongside this one.
ah... well, if you didn't like starsailor ... but definitely give it a spin. tim buckley tends to get a bit overlooked, but he's one of the more talented songwriters from that era.
moondog is this quirky sort of character ... sort of an enigma, and this record is pure eccentric genius madman. if i ever get around to making a 1969 chart, it's probably a toss up between moondogger and tim buck for album of the year [edit: i just looked at my collection from 1969 and that's not true, so i'm amending this:] miles davis, can and ennio morricone absolutely own 1969, but moondog and tim buckley round out the top five releases for me from what i've heard. _________________ follow me on the bandcamp.
Also, add 1959 to the list By all means it was a much better year for music that '89
I mean it has the Jazz, some of the best ever recorded, and some regionally interesting things, but I wouldn't say it's better by leagues. There's just more to choose from in '89.
I think there are some real nice moments on this one. Kind of one of the last albums of 60s pop rock for the decade as the hippies and psychedelics took over.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum