You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 136137138 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Jameth wrote:
(1)


Superfly by Curtis Mayfield

I've been wanting to check out more R&B, soul, and funk, so this moved me in that direction. It looks like this is generally regarded as funk, but I don't know to what extent it's considered that. It doesn't seem to fit the mold of the harder funk sound by groups like Parliament. Soft funk? Smooth funk? Cool funk?

First, I'll say that I love Mayfield's rich, mellow tenor, and the way he pairs it with politically-charged lyrics has to be a pretty rare combo. It's certainly lush, musically, there's a lot happing in the background. Some of the instrumental tracks, it's really the opposite. Not much happening on "Think". I don't know if there are similar instrumentals on his first two albums, but I feel like these were composed with the film in mind, and not necessarily with an album in mind. They don't really do anything for me.

Overall, I'd say that the music is really good, the lyrics are impactful, but at the same time this isn't something that I would want to sit around the house listening to. Maybe it's because this has a sound that I find akin to disco, I don't know. I know it's unfair to compare this album to something that came after, but I can't push the similarities out of my mind. I think I prefer the 60's for R&B or soul...the stuff from the 70's doesn't seem to have aged nearly as well.


Funk + Chicago soul. It is a soundtrack album, so you'd be correct about the instrumental tracks.

In my view, 70s r&b has aged at least as well as 60s r&b, and while this isn't disco, disco is great.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
1.


Tommy by The Who

This suffers from the same problem as Quadrophenia. There aren't a lot of songs that can stand out on their own. Instead, there's so much focus on plot development. But the plot just isn't that good, instead coming off as bizarre and incoherent. A mess of an album. But it doesn't sound worse than okay, as the musicianship is solid. 2.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Jameth, listen to this next:


Acabou Chorare by Novos Baianos

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler

81. rliberty: 13. Sound Awake - Karnivool
82. grohly: 5. The Midnight Organ Fight - Frightened Rabbit
83. Xxnu99etxX: 5. Giles Corey - Giles Corey
84. marklg: 3. Darwin! - Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
85. Nagaiwolfwood: 5. King For A Day… Fool For A Lifetime - Faith No More
86. replacementlevel: 10. Armchair Apocrypha - Andrew Bird
87. PaperVinnie: 24. Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek & The Dominos
88. alelsupreme: 1. Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 "Pathétique" - Yevgeny Mravinsky / Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra
89. Komorebi-D: 89. Father, Son, Holy Ghost - Girls
90. AvalancheGrips: 9. The Seer - Swans
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Ultramarine by A Primary Industry

"Ethereal Wave, Post-Punk, Shoegaze
Dream Pop, Industrial, Neo-Psychedelia, Funk Rock"

When all of these are on the RYM page, you don't know quite what to expect. This is all awesome stuff, and the fact that so many disparate elements are brought together on this album, and actually work, is an achievement. Definitely could use some more spins from other users on this site.

Baystate, if I remember correctly, you're classical listening is pretty shallow, so Tchaikovsky's 6th is a great place to start.

Liekki- Korppi
Artesia - Llydaw
Alberich - NATO-Uniformen (Crap, the next 4 hour album)
Ajilvsga ‎– The Origin Of The Chaul
RLW - Points Of Reference
The Toy Matinee- Toy Matinee
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - In darkness let me dwell
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
Univers Zero - Heresie
  • Quote
@bay

I bought Tommy right after seeing Almost Famous when I was 15. That movie made it seem like the coolest record ever made, and I felt like a sucker after listening to it. It was tough to get through. "I'm Free" is awesome, at least.

(1)


Acabou Chorare by Novos Baianos

I've only listened to a handful of MPB records and I've loved them all, but this may be the best one I've heard. Most of the tracks are super lovely or super catchy, and often both. It was apparently their intention to play upbeat music to counter the depressing music that was dominant in Brazil. So, it's amazing that they were able to do that, but also maintain a mellow flavor in their sound. I'll need to cull through the lyrics of this album and some other MPB records to better gauge how strongly they differ.

(2)

The Origin Of The Chaul, Chief. I think a track is missing from Youtube, but most of it should be there.

(3)

9. Modern Vampires Of The City // Vampire Weekend
11. Telefone // Noname
12. In A Silent Way // Miles Davis
15. Pieces Of A Man // Gil Scott-Heron
16. Trouble Will Find Me // The National
18. Boxer // The National
19. Curtis // Curtis Mayfield
20. Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica // The Ronettes
21. Donuts // J Dilla
23. The Smile Sessions // The Beach Boys
  • Quote
1.


Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.6 by Leonard Bernstein / New York Philharmonic

Ok I cheated and listened to the most popular recording, which was much easier to find. This was a really nice symphony, but nothing grabbed me. I don't have any insight to add. It's been a long time since I took music appreciation. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. I'm going to give you some more 70s r&b. Maybe this one will be more your speed:


Pieces Of A Man by Gil Scott-Heron

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler

91. Mark6313: 41. The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden
92. btener11: 16. Neon Golden - The Notwist
93. Amirkhosro: 11. Live - Spring Heel Jack
94. Gowi: 9. In The Flat Field - Bauhaus [I already have this one downloaded. So I'm listening to it within the next week or so regardless.]
95. Mattdup279: 5. The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
96. revolver94: 5. Tragedy - Julia Holter
97. craola: 7. The Unforgettable Fire - U2
98. imnotanotter: 23. The Meadowlands - The Wrens
99. louisjwyatt: 11. Speaking In Tongues - Talking Heads
100. MCOTho: 19. The Slim Shady LP - Eminem
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
That A Primary Industry album is really worth listening to for any fan of late 80's post-punk and early noisy shoegaze. They were ahead of everyone else at the time.


Kill For Love by Chromatics

That's ballsy to start your album with a cover of a Neil Young classic. They did a great job with it though, turning it into an atmospheric synthpop dream pop song. It sums up the whole album really. Great production on well crafted songs that seem like they have had a lot of time spent on them to get them just right. I can see why they were used on the new series of Twin Peaks (I remember really enjoying that performance scene even though I didn't know who they were at the time) as it really does have a Lynchian vibe to it. I am not a hosting dinner parties type of person but if I were this is the sort of album I would have playing in the background. 7.5/10 and 16/25 for 2012

You may have been planning to listen to In The Flat Field soon anyway Baystate but it is my favourite album from these options so I'm picking it. I saw Peter Murphy playing it in full last year and loved the experience.


In The Flat Field by Bauhaus

Rocka's 2010's mix (last pick)

Wakin On A Pretty Daze by Kurt Vile
The Terror by The Flaming Lips
Engravings by Forest Swords
Pleasure Suck by The Spirit Of The Beehive
How To Live With A Phantom by Shintaro Sakamoto
Heavy Hearted In Doldrums by Antwon
Just Married by Glocca Morra
Everywhere At The End Of Time by The Caretaker
The Disintegration Loops by William Basinski
Linear S Decoded by Shxcxchcxsh
  • Quote

The Origin Of The Chaul by Ajilvsga

It's weird to listen to a band who's from Tulsa, OK, which is about 2 hours from where I went to college. What's even weirder is that this album is just what I'm looking for in a noise/drone affair. Tracks that are long enough to get lost in, but not repetitive to the point of stagnation. I'm really impressed with this release from it's cover, and it's native-themed track titles, to go with it's frigid atmosphere. As a whole album it's a bit too long for a casual listen, but I can see myself coming back to individual tracks often.

Purple, I want more people to listen to the Shintaro Sakamoto album. I just do.

Liekki- Korppi
Artesia - Llydaw
Alberich - NATO-Uniformen (Crap, the next 4 hour album)
RLW - Points Of Reference
The Toy Matinee- Toy Matinee
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - In darkness let me dwell
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
Univers Zero - Heresie
Moodymann - Black Mahogani
Michael Boothman‎– Waiting For Your Love / What You Won't Do For Love (This is a single, but it's about EP length)
  • Quote

En cas de tempête, ce jardin sera fermé by Coeur De Pirate
foof
  • Quote
ThrowBackGmac wrote:

En cas de tempête, ce jardin sera fermé by Coeur De Pirate
foof


The rules are in the first post if you want to play!
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
ThrowBackGmac wrote:

En cas de tempête, ce jardin sera fermé by Coeur De Pirate
foof


The rules are in the first post if you want to play!


Whoops, I thought this was the original thread. My apologies!

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 136137138 ... 444445446  Next
Page 137 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.