You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 222223224 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
(1)

Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up by Oceansize
Wow this actually surprised me. It's not surprising as an album per se, it's surprising that Oliver (guy from deepcuts) enjoys this kind of music. It's some kind of modern progressive/alternative rock with some heavier riffs, think newer Mastodon or more adventurous Alter Bridge, but British and not as heavy overall. And also with a unique sound (I'd never mistake Oceansize for any modern band that I've heard). This is the band's fourth and final album from 2010, it's rated last on BEA and by far the lowest on RYM, so I guess it's not the best introduction. Vocals were a bit weak, songs were all nice, but nothing stood out too much except a bit more post-rock parts than in most modern prog. It's competent, songwriting is solid but not great, and as a whole it's not too derivative, but it's not too exciting either. Or again, maybe that's just me not being in the mood for this kind of music rn. Will have to listen to it again sometime, for now it's 6.5/10

(2)
The Purist. I guess it's for Lana Del Rey fans.

(3)
RYM metal top 100 & SquishypuffDave Top 100 Greatest Albums

Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Demilich - Nespithe
Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations
Coroner - Mental Vortex
1. Deerhoof - The Runners Four
6. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
7. Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
13. Fever Ray - Fever Ray
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote

The Purist by Byron Stingily

Look at this man. He certainly does look pure, doesn't he? And this album is pure. Pure unadulterated house cheese of the highest and most delicious order. I want to live inside the sterile and squeaky clean walls of these late 90s synths. Wrapped up and safe in the highest of high falsetto of Mr. Stingily. This is all that I want from this kind of music. Something upbeat, happy, and danceable. He also covers Sylvester's 1978 disco hit, "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)" which has never sounded better. Give this a listen if you just need a break from the slog of the day to day and need a quick pick me up.

On a completely different note, Coroner-Mental Vortex is a great album.

The Northern Hymn - Kammarheit
Javiera Mena - Mena
Triston Palmer - Showcase
Michael Tippett: The Knot Garden
Lou Karsh- Phantom Structures

FACT Magazine: The 30 Greatest Techno Albums You've Never Heard

1. Bandulu- Guidance
3. Cristian Vogel- Specific Momentic
4. Dan Curtin- The Silicon Dawn
5. Experimental Audio Research- The Kรถner Experiment
6. Hallucinator- Landlocked
  • Quote

Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun by Dead Can Dance

This is the first Dead Can Dance album I've listened to. At the time, from what I heard, I think they were a bit too slow for me to explore further, I was more into the rockier, or poppier gothic music. But now I appreciate the atmosphere created here, the sound they produce, and the world it takes me into. At first I thought the vocals were great, and then we reached the songs with a female vocalist, and wow!, they were superb. Especially on the excellent Cantara, the standout of the album for me. Really enjoyed this album, 8/10, and 21/36 for 1987.


Triston Palmer - Showcase for you next, Rocka. This one?


Show Case (In A Roots Radics Drum & Bass) by Triston Palma


Top 54 Music Albums of the 1980s by Jameth (4 picks remaining)

1. Shahen-Shah by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
2. Les Dragons by Ninki-Nanka
3. Ali Farka Toure (Ten Songs From The Legendary Singer From Mali) by Ali Farka Tourรฉ
9. Discipline by King Crimson
12. Sandinista! by The Clash
13. Sumaj Llajta by Luzmila Carpio
20. Yasimika by Djeli Moussa Diawara
23. Moving Pictures by Rush
25. Wassolon - Percussions Malinke by Mamady Keรฏta & Sewa Kan
26. Heaven Up Here by Echo & The Bunnymen
  • Quote
1.


Favourite Worst Nightmare by Arctic Monkeys

As I learned when listening to their debut for this game, while I respect their work, I'm not a big fan of Arctic Monkeys and their lad schtick. This follow-up doesn't change that, but I do find the sonic palette significantly more appealing due to the increased contribution of post-punk. The songwriting may have gotten an upgrade too, although I'm not sure about that statement, and I don't care to listen to both albums enough to make a conclusion. In any case, this is pretty good, definitely superior to its predecessor, and a high 3/5.

~~~~~

2. I love this album:


Yasimika by Djeli Moussa Diawara

~~~~~

3. BEA Overall Chart

199. AM - Arctic Monkeys
231. Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek & The Dominos
234. Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits
238. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
258. Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull
261. Hotel California - Eagles
265. Machine Head - Deep Purple
271. Band On The Run - Paul McCartney & Wings
275. Room On Fire - The Strokes
276. The Stranger - Billy Joel
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
// 1


Volcanic Rock by Buffalo

Meatheaded doo-doo. At least I learned my lesson from Atomic Rooster the other day, and skipped Buffalo's debut.

// 2

I'll spare you the pain of listening to Layla for an hour and a half.


Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings

// 3

RYM Heavy Psych Chart (last pick):

1. T2 /--/ It'll All Work Out In Boomland
3. Captain Beyond /--/ Captain Beyond
4. Stray /--/ Stray
8. Jericho /--/ Jericho
11. Grand Funk /--/ Grand Funk
14. Mountain /--/ Nantucket Sleighride
15. Dark /--/ Round The Edges
16. Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats /--/ Blood Lust (might have heard this before, not sure)
17. Mountain /--/ Climbing!
18. Truth And Janey /--/ No Rest For The Wicked
_________________
Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
  • Quote

Show Case (In A Roots Radics Drum & Bass) by Triston Palma

Heh, looks like I had a typo for his name. I won't make that mistake again, because this is some excellent stuff. Could listen to this kind of reggae thing for hours.

A couple of interesting picks left on there Jameth, but I'm going with Truth & Janey, because they're a Midwest Hard Rock band. Couple of good songs on that album.

The Northern Hymn - Kammarheit
Javiera Mena - Mena
Michael Tippett: The Knot Garden
Lou Karsh- Phantom Structures

FACT Magazine: The 30 Greatest Techno Albums You've Never Heard

1. Bandulu- Guidance
3. Cristian Vogel- Specific Momentic
4. Dan Curtin- The Silicon Dawn
5. Experimental Audio Research- The Kรถner Experiment
6. Hallucinator- Landlocked
7. Ian O'Brien- Desert Scores
  • Quote

Yasimika by Djeli Moussa Diawara

Very pleasant, peaceful, music from Guinea. The music drew me in with it's soothing repetition, while at the same time there was some really interesting instrumentation to listen to, from instruments I may not have heard before (kora and balofon), so that was cool enjoying their sounds. Overall, a nice relaxed, chilled, lazy afternoon listen. 8/10, and 11/22 for 1983.


Let's go with The Northern Hymn - Kammarheit next


Top 54 Music Albums of the 1980s by Jameth (3 picks remaining)

1. Shahen-Shah by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
2. Les Dragons by Ninki-Nanka
3. Ali Farka Toure (Ten Songs From The Legendary Singer From Mali) by Ali Farka Tourรฉ
9. Discipline by King Crimson
12. Sandinista! by The Clash
13. Sumaj Llajta by Luzmila Carpio
23. Moving Pictures by Rush
25. Wassolon - Percussions Malinke by Mamady Keรฏta & Sewa Kan
26. Heaven Up Here by Echo & The Bunnymen
30. The Serpent's Egg by Dead Can Dance
  • Quote

Link


I've heard better Dark Ambient. Not engaging.

Purple, it's tough to choose between two Prog classics. Discipline or Moving Pictures. I think they're both great, but go with Discipline for now.

Javiera Mena - Mena
Michael Tippett: The Knot Garden
Lou Karsh- Phantom Structures

FACT Magazine: The 30 Greatest Techno Albums You've Never Heard

1. Bandulu- Guidance (1993)
3. Cristian Vogel- Specific Momentic (1996)
4. Dan Curtin- The Silicon Dawn (1994)
5. Experimental Audio Research- The Kรถner Experiment (1997)
6. Hallucinator- Landlocked (1999)
7. Ian O'Brien- Desert Scores (1997)
8. Insync vs. Mysteron- Android Architect (1997)
  • Quote
1.


Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings

It's odd that it's taken me so long to hear a Paul McCartney album that's not a Beatles album. And I guess I've been missing out, because I loved this. Strong songwriting, great melodies, great harmonies. Wings rock a good amount. Not every track hits, and it's rather front-loaded, but overall this was an ideal upbeat companion for a walk in the sun. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Take it from the top, Chief.

~~~~~

3. BEA Overall Chart

199. AM - Arctic Monkeys
231. Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek & The Dominos
234. Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits
235. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
258. Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull
261. Hotel California - Eagles
267. Machine Head - Deep Purple
277. Room On Fire - The Strokes
278. The Stranger - Billy Joel
281. Crime Of The Century - Supertramp
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Mena by Javiera Mena

Simple and effective synth-pop that at times reminds of La Roux or other similar artists. Not bad at all, but it needs a little more punch.

Baystate I'll say to listen to Dire Straits. And, if you want to avoid "Money For Nothing", because of it's homophobic slur, then you could just listen to Weird Al.


Link

Michael Tippett: The Knot Garden
Lou Karsh- Phantom Structures

FACT Magazine: The 30 Greatest Techno Albums You've Never Heard

1. Bandulu- Guidance (1993)
3. Cristian Vogel- Specific Momentic (1996)
4. Dan Curtin- The Silicon Dawn (1994)
5. Experimental Audio Research- The Kรถner Experiment (1997)
6. Hallucinator- Landlocked (1999)
7. Ian O'Brien- Desert Scores (1997)
8. Insync vs. Mysteron- Android Architect (1997)
9. Monrella- Studio 1-7 (2002)

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 222223224 ... 444445446  Next
Page 223 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.