It always surprises me to see how far-reaching shoegaze was in a relatively short period of time. This is a pleasant listen from start to finish with dreamy tracks that are not ground-breaking in any way, but make for a well-paced and well-made album. I'll probably give this another listen to see if it might be better than other similar albums.
19. Cari Lekebusch- Det Jag Vet (1999)
21. Darren Price- Under the Flightpath (1997)
25. Orlando Voorn- Ignitor (2007)
26. Portion Reform- The Supreme Negative (1998)
28. Terrace- Round Up (1992)
29. Terrence Dixon- From the Far Future (2000)
30. Unit Moebius- Work (1997)
Luxury Problems by Andy Stott
Always wanted to listen to Andy Stott, but never got round to it. This is some seriously good techno and related stuff. It starts pretty slow and predictable, the first song is decent but from the second track on it's a blast. Trance-like vocals are an unusual fit to a fairly weird and experimental background on Lost and Found, but the song is just great. Same can be said about most of the tracks here. I'm sure that at least 2-3 times during the second listen I thought "well this is everything I want from a dub techno album". Engaging, diverse, great songwriting, slow, groovy and repetitive when it needs to be. There were times when it did slightly drag though, and the opener is not my favourite like I've already stated. Highlights: Hatch The Plan, Lost and Found, Luxury Problems, Up The Box. Solid 8/10
(2)
Brave Murder Day is among the top goth metal albums, and probably Katatonia's best work. Here's a meme I stumbled upon today.
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
(3)
RYM metal top 100 / SquishypuffDave's Top 100 Greatest Albums / Xxnu99etxX Top 100 Greatest Albums
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Demilich - Nespithe
15. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
21. VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision
24. Gum Takes Tooth - Mirrors Fold
27. Geinoh Yamashirogumi - ่ผชๅปปไบค้ฟๆฅฝ [Ecophony Rinne]
29. Oren Ambarchi - Grapes From The Estate
3) Giles Corey - Giles Corey
4) Unwound - New Plastic Ideas _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
My third Red Hot Chili Peppers album, all through this game, and it may be the best yet. It certainly helps that the bad rap rock and mediocre funk rock have been scaled way back in favor of poppier fare, although it's a shame that there are some remnants. This is also a stronger batch of songwriting, with some good hooks and solid vocals. Unfortunately, the album is overlong and RHCP is still not really my thing. Instead of a low 3 like the others, I'll give this one a high 3/5.
~~~~~
2. Again, I'm going to give you the only one I've heard, which I enjoyed:
61. The Stone Roses: 2. Second Coming
62. Stevie Wonder: 5. Hotter Than July
63. Bon Iver: 5. iTunes Session
64. Michael Jackson: 4. Dangerous
65. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: 1. The Boatman's Call
66. Animal Collective: 6. Centipede Hz
67. Rush: 2. 2112
68. LCD Soundsystem: 4. LCD Soundsystem
69. Godspeed You! Black Emperor: 4. 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
70. Joni Mitchell: 11. Night Ride Home _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
An excellent metal album that deftly blends the sadboy Gothic Rock of The Cure with the pummeling riffs of I don't know, Candlemass or something Doomy. Doesn't sound like it would work, but it sure as hell does. I would have preferred for the vocals to have been sung more rather than growled.
Baystate, I think By The Way could be one of RHCP's best if there were 4 or 5 tracks omitted. Some of their more understated and thoughtful work, although that's mostly because of John Frusciante.
Anyways, I'd listen to Godspeed. Both of the 20 minute tracks on the album are up to par with some of their best. They sounded great live.
19. Cari Lekebusch- Det Jag Vet (1999)
21. Darren Price- Under the Flightpath (1997)
25. Orlando Voorn- Ignitor (2007)
26. Portion Reform- The Supreme Negative (1998)
28. Terrace- Round Up (1992)
29. Terrence Dixon- From the Far Future (2000)
30. Unit Moebius- Work (1997)
This was one of the albums left in the top 1,000 I was most excited to hear, and I put it on tonight as I was in the mood for something energetic and rhythmic. This was...not really that. It was much more laid back than I expected, which was fine once I got used to it. I'm not an expert in this type of music at all, but it was much less conventionally "jazzy" than I expected, with a lot of traditional Cuban musical styles. I like the story behind the album a lot - it's an ensemble of veteran Cuban musicians getting the chance to record something, some of them years after they had retired. It's a cool introduction to some of these styles and I hope to explore the genres here more.
One of my favorite doom metal albums. Huge, towering riffs. Also one of my favorite album covers, I love Goya's work.
BEA's Top 1,000 albums:
601. A New World Record by Electric Light Orchestra
657. Songs For Swingin' Lovers! by Frank Sinatra
673. Time by Electric Light Orchestra
687. Love Over Gold by Dire Straits
699. Toys in the Attic by Aerosmith
705. The Final Cut by Pink Floyd
721. O by Damien Rice
739. "Awaken, My Love!" by Childish Gambino
744. Ceremonials by Florence + The Machine
750. The Notorious Byrd Brothers by The Byrds _________________ And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
Fantastic album. Thoroughly enjoyed this. The classic hits always put me in a good mood, and the rest of the album did the same. I can see it's far reaching influence on a lot of music I love. 9/10
"Awaken, My Love!" by Childish Gambino next. It has grown on me over time and I wouldn't be surprised to see it improve it's ranking on my charts next listen.
2. Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus
3. Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet
5. In The Wee Small Hours by Frank Sinatra
6. Elvis Presley by Elvis Presley
7. The Shape Of Jazz To Come by Ornette Coleman
10. Songs For Swingin' Lovers! by Frank Sinatra
11. Brilliant Corners by Thelonious Monk
12. Lady In Satin by Billie Holiday
13. Chuck Berry Is On Top by Chuck Berry
15. Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley
New Plastic Ideas by Unwound
I liked this one a lot, but not as much as Leaves Turn Inside You. It wasn't as diverse and incredible on all fronts, however it was a much better post-hardcore record. I'm not sure if Leaves... could even be called post-hardcore since it's all over the place. This one is much more stable and easier to classify. But I love me some post-hardcore even if I was never too deep into the genre (that's why I picked this chart), so it's a solid 8/10.
As a side note, I'm on an incredible hot streak with this game, cannot remember when was the last time I listened to average or bad record here. 8+ ratings all around, love it ๐
(2)
Uh. Hmm. Ah. Um. A lot of fantastic stuff here, and I'd love to pick Ornette Coleman or Monk, but go for Mingus.
(3)
RYM metal top 100 / SquishypuffDave's Top 100 Greatest Albums / Xxnu99etxX Top 100 Greatest Albums
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Demilich - Nespithe
15. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
21. VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision
24. Gum Takes Tooth - Mirrors Fold
27. Geinoh Yamashirogumi - ่ผชๅปปไบค้ฟๆฅฝ [Ecophony Rinne]
29. Oren Ambarchi - Grapes From The Estate
3) Giles Corey - Giles Corey
5) Songs: Ohia - Ghost Tropic (I've heard this one, not sure what it's doing here but oh well) _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
I wish it were more bizarre ๐ I was hoping for something a little more experimental than what this is, but what it is is a well-made doom metal album with some heavy and rockin' riffage. The dude on the back cover wearing the Sabbath shirt is apropos. They definitely have an old-school approach. Still a good album, but not quite what I was hoping it was going to be.
Giles Corey is from one of the dudes from Have a Nice Life. In case you didn't know, Giles Corey himself was one of the people killed during the Salem Witch Trials by being pressed to death with a boulder.
19. Cari Lekebusch- Det Jag Vet (1999)
21. Darren Price- Under the Flightpath (1997)
25. Orlando Voorn- Ignitor (2007)
26. Portion Reform- The Supreme Negative (1998)
28. Terrace- Round Up (1992)
29. Terrence Dixon- From the Far Future (2000)
30. Unit Moebius- Work (1997)
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum