My discoveries per year
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #981
- Posted: 02/08/2021 20:19
- Post subject: Round 5: 1986
|
And immediately thereafter: 1986 and two Australian albums:
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
In The Pines by The Triffids
The Triffids have released two albums this year: one of my all-time favorites, Born Sandy Devotional, and this one: In The Pines. It's not that there's not any good tracks on it: the title track, Kathy Knows, Keep Your Eyes On The Hole and the title track of that other album I mentioned (yes: Born Sandy Devotional) are great additions to the songbook of this fantastic Australian band. But the other tracks are a bit subpar and they would get better on their other albums. So only a small jump from the 37th to 31st rank.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Weird Love by The Scientists
A mixture of The Cramps and pubrock but this album transcends those descriptions a bit because, while the songs are not really remarkable the band added something special to each and every of the 12 tracks to make me like them a bit more. So overall an album I enjoyed and ok for the 12th rank of the year.
|
|
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #982
- Posted: 02/08/2021 21:26
- Post subject: Round 5: 1987
|
My third entry in a few hours: 2 albums of 1987.
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Tango In The Night by Fleetwood Mac
Nothing can beat Rumours also not this album. Big Love, Seven Wonders, the title track and Isn't It Midnight are great but that about covers it. Not a bad album but not a great one either and moves from the 54th tot the 44th rank.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
A Cuppa Tea And A Lie Down by Able Tasmans
On of the many bands coming out of the NZ Flying Nun label and there are indeed a lot of resemblances to bands like The Chills but this feels as a very lightweight version of that band, like a choir boys band going psychedelic: not really my thing.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #983
- Posted: 02/09/2021 21:45
- Post subject: Round 5: 1988
|
My choices for 2 albums of 1988:
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Lincoln by They Might Be Giants
I very much like Flood and a few tracks here like Ana Ng remind me of that album are very good. But a fairly important number of tracks are not as good so definitely not their best album in my view. But still rises from 39th tot 32nd rank of the year.
An album on my wishlist:
World Without End by The Mighty Lemon Drops
The perfect marriage between Midnight Oil (the style and the voice of the singer) and Echo & The Bunnymen (the style) and I liked it very much and ok for the 15th rank of the year.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #984
- Posted: 02/11/2021 20:55
- Post subject: Round 5: 1989
|
These are the albums I listened to of 1989:
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
The Sensual World by Kate Bush
Not really a lot of hits here but some really good Kate Bush tracks Love And Anger, Deep Understanding and Between A Man And A Woman. Nothing like her first albums but still a good one and it goes from the 47th to the 33rd rank.
An album on my wishlist:
Chasing Promises by Breathless
It's already the second album by this band I have listened to and I like their sound and their songs. It's a bit goth, it's a bit postpunk but it's very good. Immediately goes to the 15th rank of 1989.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #985
- Posted: 02/14/2021 19:32
- Post subject: Round 5: 1990
|
These are my 2 choices for albums of 1990:
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Ten Spot by Shudder To Think
I have in fact a twin album toghether with Funeral At The Movies. This is one of their first and while you could never describe Shudder To Think as polished, this is one of their most unpolished and that cost them a few points. But it's still a great album and it moves from the 54th to the 37th spot.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Every Brilliant Eye by Died Pretty
Great album by a band I didn't really know yet, especially The Underbelly. It immediately goes to the 27th rank.
|
|
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #986
- Posted: 02/15/2021 21:54
- Post subject: Round 5: 1991
|
These are my two choices for albums of 1991:
An Album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Peggy Suicide by Julian Cope
In fact a much better overall album than I had in my head. There's many tracks which really deserve their place in everybody's collection and I very much like him here and the album jumps from the 80th to the 44th rank.
It was hard to select an album on my wishlist. This was the first time I was going through my fairly long wishlist and listening to parts of those albums only to find out that I didn't think it was worth it to listen to them fully. So in any case a good exercise to shrink my wishlist a bit (still 1198 albums long), so finally I reverted to safe choice: Status Quo, well knowing that around these years were only good at three things: cheesy ballads, bad covers and rehashing their old songs:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Rock 'Til You Drop by Status Quo
And that's about what they're doing here although they limit the number of covers to a bad version of Bring It On Home and an ok version Let's Work (Stick) Together. The ballads are also not very good but their rehashed songs sound better than on other albums around this time: Like A Zombie, One Man Band and Can't Give You More are all ok. So the album just makes it to my top chart although only at the 70th rank.
Last edited by dihansse on 03/02/2021 20:48; edited 1 time in total
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #987
- Posted: 02/18/2021 20:53
- Post subject: Round 5: 1992
|
Two albums of 1992 I listened to:
An Album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Television by Television
Of course no album can beat Marquee Moon but this album is really not bad and a few tracks like 1880 Or So and No Glamour For Willy do have reminiscences to that magnificent predecessor. So it rises from the 77th to the 66th rank.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Delaware by Drop Nineteens
Not as good as the two tracks in the beginning, Delaware and Winona, promise it to be, but still an ok and noisy album. And enters at the 61st rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #988
- Posted: 02/20/2021 21:38
- Post subject: Round 5: 1993
|
My 2 choices for 1993 albums are:
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Boces by Mercury Rev
Mercury Rev are always a bit weird but on lots of albums I can't really dig their weirdness, but here I can. It's not one of their best known albums but to me it's one of their best especially where they just keep jamming along like on Meth Of A Rockette's Chick and Snorry Mouth. Not everything is a highlight though so the album only goes from the 56th to the 39th rank.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Deluxe by Better Than Ezra
Good and Southern Girl are ok but the rest of the album is a bit too slick for me so finally not for my best albums list of 1993.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #989
- Posted: 02/22/2021 21:40
- Post subject: Round 5: 1994
|
And then came two 1994 albums:
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Head Like A Rock by Ian McNabb
On this album Ian McNabb sometimes sound too much like a preacher (see the long ending track May You Always) but the three opening tracks of which the first two also featuring Crazy Horse (yes thรฉ Crazy Horse) are so good that they make up for that in a great way. The guitars really shine and the songs are really good. So I under-rated this album a bit and it rises from the 81st to the 54th rank of the year.
An album on my wishlist:`
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Calculated by Heavens To Betsy
The first steps of Sleater Kinney's Corin Tucker in rock music and riot grrrl it is. Is it because this is only coming from a two (wo)man band or is it the shrill voices or just the fact that the songs are not really there (except for the fine Ascemen), in any case I didn't really like this album.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #990
- Posted: 02/23/2021 21:35
- Post subject: Round 5: 1995
|
These are the two albums of 1995 I chose to listen to:
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Ball-Hog Or Tugboat? by Mike Watt
J mascis shredding through Funkadelics Maggott Brain is a guitar lover's dream come true. Eddie Vedder crashing through Against The 70's is great and Evan Dando singing Piss Bottle Man sounds great. And on Big Train he even sings himself although he's surrounded by Curt Kirkwood, Eddie Vedder, J Mascis and Nels Clines. The thing that holds the album together is Mike Watt's jazzy weird sound and that doesn't work on all the tracks but there's enough quality here to raise this album from the 66th to the 57th rank.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Spanaway by Seaweed
Not really a band I knew before and it's a bit a mixture between emo, grunge and punk. They're at their best when they sound like Superchunk which succeeds in less than half of the tracks. On the others their sound is a bit juvenile. Nevertheless an ok album that goes to the 47th rank.
Again to show that my scoring system is not really ideal. Mike Watt's album is a bit of a classic but contains a lot of clutter which causes it to be ranked below the Seaweed album which is far from a classic but is a bit more consistent.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
New topic Post reply
|
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
|
| Page 99 of 195 |
|
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
|
|
| |