You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 313314315 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
(1)

Paix by Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes
French experimental folk album, and it's every bit as good as that sounds. 4 songs, the first one is a lovely moody instrumental, the second one is a catchy, breezy chamber folk/pop number. Both casual 3 minute songs. The third track (title track) is where it gets tricky. Paix is 16 minutes long, while the last track, Un jour... la mort is 25 minutes long. So Paix starts with repetitive percussion (Discogs says the instrument is Percuphone) and palm muted guitar riff in the background, while the foreground is dominated by an extremely proggy keyboard solo. Something straight out of Rick Wakeman songbook. The vocals (more like naration) start after a long 7 minute intro, and various space rock-inspired sounds dominate the song until the end. Quite a journey, I managed to find translated lyrics too. The last track was even more of a "space" vibe than that. 8 minutes of cool space ambient, almost beat Tangerine Dream lol. And then another 2 of half sung, half narrated music. Then the form suddenly changes, it's like a totally different song. Percuphone (I presume) returns with another one of sung/narrated parts. There's a bit of everything until the end of part 2: a squealing guitar, loads of ethereal keyboards, very strong vocals. The third part is the last 6 minutes, keyboards are still there but the jangly guitar steals the show. Beautiful chord progression, great bass melody and the strongest vocals on the whole thing are left for the final 3 minutes. Out with a bang. Overall this was a lot more prog and even electronic than I expected, I thought Catherine Ribeiro was primarily a folk musician. This one ventures into prog rock, psychedelic folk and space rock territory. Fantastic stuff with serious "grower" potential, I have a feeling it'll be a summer evening special this year. 8.5/10

(2)
Gillian Welch next, Bay

(3)
Midori - Aratamemashite, hajimemashite, Midori desu.
Charlie Morrow - America Lament
Meridian Brothers - Desesperanza
MIKE - Weight of the World
Laurie Anderson - Bright Red
Still Corners - The Last Exit
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Gatecreeper - An Unexpected Reality
Henry Flynt - You Are My Everloving / Celestial Power
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Music For Nine Post Cards
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
(1)


For a metal album, I think on a music level this might be my favorite. Even compared to Death or Sepultura on an aesthetic level this is just has this wow level. Has some jazzy elements as well as these electronic flourishes. But oddly enough what I see as the Achilles heel of the album is the vocals. There is something about it being somewhat buried or the effect that feels a bit of a turn off. But never hated it. So who knows. Maybe this will get better. Grade:90

(2)
Led listen to MIKE

(3)
BEA's Top 110 of 1993
(95) Elements Of Crime-Weibes Papier
(102) Candlebox-Selftitled
(103) The Wildhearts-Earth Vs. The Wildhearts
(109) Paul McCartney-Off The Ground
(110) Porcupine Tree-Up The Downstair

BEA's Top 100 of 1977
(2) Pink Floyd-Animals
(3) Television-Marquee Moon
(5) Sex Pistols-Never Mind The Bollocks
(6) Steely Dan-Aja (R)
(7) The Clash-Self Titled
  • Quote
1.


Carnage by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

This note, again, is lazily taken from my little chart thing. In here I think I may overstate my opinion on Cave’s voice. It’s... fine. It’s okay. Don’t wanna seem like I hate it. Just doesn’t really move the enjoyment of the music up or down.

“ (Amazing, deep, dark production dominates this album and steals the show. Cave’s voice and lyrics continue to fail to win me over.)

Of all the all time great singer/songwriters and all those legendary musicals icons from the west that I have tried to get into, perhaps none has alluded that moment of “EUREKA!” as much as Nick Cave. He has sooooo many famous and well respected albums yet never have I really felt more than an appreciation for his music. The album that came closest to making me a fan was The Boatman’s Call. Quite a well made album, for sure. But it still never closed the gap between arms-length-admiration to true emotional and personal liking or investment.

And then this year Carnage came out. I saw all the love and praise for Cave and to a lesser degree Ellis, and I felt both excitement to check it out and a certain back off or delay as well. Cuz I had a feeling I would not love the album and maybe even dislike it.

But I can say that after a couple listens I DO NOT dislike it. I like it. It’s beautiful. The production is so BIG and so embracing, the arrangements are so deeply felt and sad.

The same things which kept me an arms length away from adoring all other Cave albums, however, still exist here. And for some other people these things may very well be the reason they love Cave’s work. It comes down to the vocals and the lyrics. The vocals are unique and iconic but never have I loved or even particularly liked them. That somewhat gothic croon, the drama and the near-theatricality of his delivery, the way every word is clearly voiced. Not a fan. It’s not bad, but for me to really get into an artist who puts so much emphasis on his voice, I need to, well, love the voice.

As for the lyrics, sometimes they are deep and moving. But most of the time they seemed quite shallow. Probably it’s just me who is shallow and not picking up on the nuances. But either way, I have not, as of now, latched on to the lyrical content here.

Overall, the production and the grandeur of the atmosphere steals the show. I love that aspect. And I would say this is a good album. Just not AOTY contention for me personally. ”


2.

@Luigii, First off thank you for nominating arguably my fave album. (Certainly on the short list.).

I nominate for you...


Up The Downstair by Porcupine Tree let’s wrap up 1993. Woooohoooo!!!

------------------------

3.


top 10 2021 albums that I want to hear. They are the top albums on my self-made list of albums I’ve been circling.

1. To See the Next Part of the Dream by 파란노을 [Parannoul]
2. The Cyclic Reckoning by Suffering Hour
3. As Days Get Dark by Arab Strap
4. I Became Birds by Home is Where
5. 1집 by Slant
6. Modern Grotesque by Dreamwell
7. Isabella James by Isabella James
8. Youth Novel by Youth Novel
9. Flock by Jane Weaver
10. Smiling With No Teeth - Genesis Owusu
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
1.

Vocalcity by Luomo
I can see why you dig this. Easily best house album I've heard. First 3 tracks I was really into. The fourth was kinda a major lull and sadly was wishing I was done. Still consider this a win though because House isn't my thing typically, but this was really intriguing. Also, I'm 90% sure you are a secret curator of setlists for W hotels.

2. From the top Mercury: To See the Next Part of the Dream by 파란노을 [Parannoul]

3. Luigii Top 100 (9 Picks Left)
2. Sawayama by Rina Sawayama
6. Chiastic Slide by Autechre
7. The Velocity Of Love by Suzanne Ciani
8. Celestial Vibration by Edward Larry Gordon
10. Breezin' by George Benson
12. Plexure by John Oswald
13. Love Deluxe by Sade
14. Older by George Michael
15. The Ascension by Sufjan Stevens
18. Tri Repetae by Autechre
  • Quote
Luigii wrote:
For a metal album, I think on a music level this might be my favorite. Even compared to Death or Sepultura on an aesthetic level this is just has this wow level. Has some jazzy elements as well as these electronic flourishes. But oddly enough what I see as the Achilles heel of the album is the vocals. There is something about it being somewhat buried or the effect that feels a bit of a turn off. But never hated it. So who knows. Maybe this will get better. Grade:90

Focus has always been too silly for me to truly love it (those modulated vocals ugh), but it's a certified classic for a reason. Impressive album anyway you look at it, glad you liked it.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
(1)

Weight Of The World by MIKE
My first full MIKE LP. I've heard BLP2020: King of the Night last year and wasn't very impressed. Happy to report that Weight of the World was much better. Extremely trippy, Earl Sweatshirt inspired experimental hip hop. Even his voice is somewhat close to Earl's, and this was my biggest complaint as well. Earl and MIKE seem to be doing experiments in a similar style, explore similar introspective themes and yet Sweatshirt's overall package and songwriting are much superior. Not that this was bad, but it didn't reach the same highs. It's definitely not unoriginal, but at moments I felt like I could've just been listening to Some Rap Songs instead. The 4 highlights for me were what's home 1/2, no no, weight of the world* and the closer allstar which actually featured Earl.

"I am old and I'm pickin' apart
I expose what I did in the dark
Might've folded, but didn't depart
Out and cold, I be itchin' the scars
When I rolled, I was feelin' for something that heal
But I know every bit of it harsh
Turned my soul to a militant march"

A relatively high 7.5/10

(2)
Some pretty cool stuff there (as expected), but go with Tri Repetae

(3)
Midori - Aratamemashite, hajimemashite, Midori desu.
Charlie Morrow - America Lament
Meridian Brothers - Desesperanza
Laurie Anderson - Bright Red
Still Corners - The Last Exit
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Gatecreeper - An Unexpected Reality
Henry Flynt - You Are My Everloving / Celestial Power
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Music For Nine Post Cards
The Coasters - The Coasters
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
(1)

Weight Of The World by MIKE
My first full MIKE LP. I've heard BLP2020: King of the Night last year and wasn't very impressed. Happy to report that Weight of the World was much better. Extremely trippy, Earl Sweatshirt inspired experimental hip hop. Even his voice is somewhat close to Earl's, and this was my biggest complaint as well. Earl and MIKE seem to be doing experiments in a similar style, explore similar introspective themes and yet Sweatshirt's overall package and songwriting are much superior. Not that this was bad, but it didn't reach the same highs. It's definitely not unoriginal, but at moments I felt like I could've just been listening to Some Rap Songs instead. The 4 highlights for me were what's home 1/2, no no, weight of the world* and the closer allstar which actually featured Earl.

"I am old and I'm pickin' apart
I expose what I did in the dark
Might've folded, but didn't depart
Out and cold, I be itchin' the scars
When I rolled, I was feelin' for something that heal
But I know every bit of it harsh
Turned my soul to a militant march"

A relatively high 7.5/10



MIKE was making music in this style well before Some Rap Songs. So it would be more accurate to call Earl Sweatshirt’s recent releases MIKE-inspired. I do agree that this isn’t as good as Some Rap Songs, but it’s also not MIKE’s best record.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
1.

Drunk Tank Pink by Shame

Sadly, not much to say about this, it's one of those albums where one part annoys you so much that it ruins the whole listening experience. I see it's being labelled as post-punk, but I can't get past the punk aspects of it -yes, you know which ones I mean, those that had no business surviving the 70's, and unfortunately there's a ton of them-, I really didn't think music like this would have a place in 2021, this is like moving backwards - and in this case I don't mean that in a positive way. One of the most disappointing listens in quite some time.

2
I nominate

Laurie Anderson - Bright Red

3.
Best 2021 albums based on BEA rankings
1. J.T. - Steve Earle & The Dukes
2. Magic Mirror - Pearl Charles
3. South Loop Summer - Hospital Bracelet
4. Tyron - Slowthai
5. The Last Exit - Still Corners
6. On All Fours - Goat Girl
7. SHYGA! The Sunlight Mound - Psychedelic Porn Crumpets
8. Not Your Muse - Celeste
9. Carnage - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
10. An Overview On Phenomenal Nature - Cassandra Jenkins
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
[MIKE was making music in this style well before Some Rap Songs. So it would be more accurate to call Earl Sweatshirt’s recent releases MIKE-inspired. I do agree that this isn’t as good as Some Rap Songs, but it’s also not MIKE’s best record.

Yeah I know, but Earl was a proto psychedelic experimental 2010s rap producer imo. All of his earlier work was leading up to that sound. Or at least I don't know of anyone before him. MIKE took it to the extreme around 2015/16, and then Earl did Some Rap Songs. Around the same time a lot of rappers started doing the same thing, from Lojii to Devon Hendryx. At least that's the timeline in my mind, maybe I'm forgetting someone.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
You don’t like punk, like old school 70s punk rock, Kokkinos? I suppose that may account for your dislike of Wire. Are there any punk rock albums just straight punk albums you love?
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 313314315 ... 444445446  Next
Page 314 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.