So far my AOTY. Really cool sci-fi death metal with an old school feel to the guitars and some electronics to enhance the sci-fi experience. Not groundbreaking, but just a solid album. _________________ ...and for dessert!
This new Squid is... wow. The best year for post punk since early 00s, maybe even since the 80s and it's still early May. Also my most anticipated post punk album drops on the 28th (Black Midi). Those Brits know what's up.
Not to sound like a parrot, but this is a bizarrely strong year for post-punk. I'm only halfway through the record, but this is excellent. If it keeps up this quality through the second half, I mean... I think five of the best post-punk records this century have been released in the past 4.5 months. It's insane.
Good on these guys though. Great sound throughout. Not thrilled with the cover, looks more like a single or techno EP or something, but I'm assuming it'll grow on me.
And I had no idea there was a new (albeit short) DOOM project coming out. Going to hit play on that soon.
What 5 albums are you reffering to? I guess Squid and Black Country, New Road ones are guaranteed picks, but I'm curious about the rest, since I've found some of the hyped post-punk albums from this year to be a bit underwhelming. _________________ All time
This new Squid is... wow. The best year for post punk since early 00s, maybe even since the 80s and it's still early May. Also my most anticipated post punk album drops on the 28th (Black Midi). Those Brits know what's up.
Not to sound like a parrot, but this is a bizarrely strong year for post-punk. I'm only halfway through the record, but this is excellent. If it keeps up this quality through the second half, I mean... I think five of the best post-punk records this century have been released in the past 4.5 months. It's insane.
Good on these guys though. Great sound throughout. Not thrilled with the cover, looks more like a single or techno EP or something, but I'm assuming it'll grow on me.
And I had no idea there was a new (albeit short) DOOM project coming out. Going to hit play on that soon.
What 5 albums are you reffering to? I guess Squid and Black Country, New Road ones are guaranteed picks, but I'm curious about the rest, since I've found some of the hyped post-punk albums from this year to be a bit underwhelming.
The two mentioned as well as the outputs from Shame, Dry Cleaning and Viagra Boys (haven't heard the new Iceage just yet, but apparently that's pretty decent too). Squid and Black Country, New Road are a fair arm outfront, but regardless. I think I only dug maybe 10 post-punk records from the entirety of the 2010s, so it just feels notable. Might be a resurgence. _________________ Doubles & Conch
I was thinking BCNR, Squid, Lice, Shame. There's a few others which I didn't enjoy as much as those 4 (Dry Cleaning, Viagra Boys) as well as the new Iceage and Death From Above 1979, both of which I've not heard yet. So pretty much exactly what Hayden said ๐ _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
https://igorbozanic.bandcamp.com/album/runo
Intimate acoustic folk singer-songwriter debut. From Banja Luka, Republika Srpska. Not sure how much you'd be missing by not understanding it. I thought it was incredibly beautiful at times (esp. Jagnje and Mila)
https://igorbozanic.bandcamp.com/album/runo
Intimate acoustic folk singer-songwriter debut. From Banja Luka, Republika Srpska. Not sure how much you'd be missing by not understanding it. I thought it was incredibly beautiful at times (esp. Jagnje and Mila)
Cool. Going in the queue. Looks like a pleasant listen.
Plenty of new stuff out today. Giving the new Sons of Kemet a spin as I type this. So far so good, but I feel they put vocals on the tracks with noticeably weaker instrumentals. The tracks with no guests sound a lot punchier... (edit: maybe the vocals distract a bit too much? not sure). Pick Up Your Burning Cross is solid though. I imagine they'd put on a stellar live show. _________________ Doubles & Conch
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
BCNR>Dry Cleaning>>Shame>Iceage>Squid>Lice>>Viagra Boys
all are between masterpiece and good
-------------
Oh and I gotta drop a recommendation, since last night I have been listening to this italian musician's album on repeat. That is saying something (for me) because its a 110 minute beast of a post-industrial/Neo-Psychedelic album which is quite eerie, emotional and just...incredible. That sentence turned into something other than what I wanted. Started out by wanting to point out how its nearly 2 hours and then turned into a gush. It deserves it. Highly HIGHLY recommend this album to the moon and back savage garden style.
the music, as it progresses, fits with the quite creepy and disarming front cover quite brilliantly.
---- I had a small queue of albums I wanted to hear last night (this was not one as I had never heard of him or it) including the new J Cole, St. Vincent, and Sons of Kemet. I also was planning on booting up the Mass Effect Trilogy remaster which dropped at the exact same time. But then I started this and I just listened to this and haven't listened to (or played) any of those at all. _________________ -Ryan
This new Squid is... wow. The best year for post punk since early 00s, maybe even since the 80s and it's still early May. Also my most anticipated post punk album drops on the 28th (Black Midi). Those Brits know what's up.
Not to sound like a parrot, but this is a bizarrely strong year for post-punk. I'm only halfway through the record, but this is excellent. If it keeps up this quality through the second half, I mean... I think five of the best post-punk records this century have been released in the past 4.5 months. It's insane.
Good on these guys though. Great sound throughout. Not thrilled with the cover, looks more like a single or techno EP or something, but I'm assuming it'll grow on me.
And I had no idea there was a new (albeit short) DOOM project coming out. Going to hit play on that soon.
What 5 albums are you reffering to? I guess Squid and Black Country, New Road ones are guaranteed picks, but I'm curious about the rest, since I've found some of the hyped post-punk albums from this year to be a bit underwhelming.
The two mentioned as well as the outputs from Shame, Dry Cleaning and Viagra Boys (haven't heard the new Iceage just yet, but apparently that's pretty decent too). Squid and Black Country, New Road are a fair arm outfront, but regardless. I think I only dug maybe 10 post-punk records from the entirety of the 2010s, so it just feels notable. Might be a resurgence.
That's why I asked. I loved BCNR and found it extremely intersting and fascinating. However, both the Shame and Dry Cleaning albums have left me completely underwhelmed and couldn't even come close to BCNR (or to being counted among the best post-punk albums since the 80's) _________________ All time
That's why I asked. I loved BCNR and found it extremely intersting and fascinating. However, both the Shame and Dry Cleaning albums have left me completely underwhelmed and couldn't even come close to BCNR (or to being counted among the best post-punk albums since the 80's)
Just want to clarify I didn't say 'since the 80s'. By 'this century' I meant 2000 onward.
EDIT: Just realized Ledzep said 80s. I got the convos mushed.
Quote:
BCNR>Dry Cleaning>>Shame>Iceage>Squid>Lice>>Viagra Boys
Fair. (Haven't heard the new Iceage yet though). _________________ Doubles & Conch
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum