2021 Music

Goto page Previous  123 ... 404142 ... 606162  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
KitchenSink wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:

Dagara - Gyil Music Of Ghana's Upper West Region by Dagar Gyil Ensemble Of Lawra

This is now #1 in my 2021 chart, topping Parrenin. Mindblowing stuff from Ghana on the gyil, an instrument I'd never heard about before. Trancey af. Hayden, you might like this, and I can imagine a bunch of BEAers might as well (Repo ?)

looks extremely up my alley. downloading now :)

and once again Norman comes through with the gold
_________________
A Variety of Artists
  • Quote
New Cerebral Rot album is absurdly, impossibly heavy โ€ฆ and also great.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
KitchenSink wrote:
KitchenSink wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:

Dagara - Gyil Music Of Ghana's Upper West Region by Dagar Gyil Ensemble Of Lawra

This is now #1 in my 2021 chart, topping Parrenin. Mindblowing stuff from Ghana on the gyil, an instrument I'd never heard about before. Trancey af. Hayden, you might like this, and I can imagine a bunch of BEAers might as well (Repo ?)

looks extremely up my alley. downloading now :)

and once again Norman comes through with the gold

Ha! Glad you liked it!
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
Oh man, on a day when the new Tyler, Modest Mouse and Mountain Goats drop, the album I was the most excited about was new Spellling. And it did not disappoint at all. She's put together an incredible collection of art pop songs. Noticeably less electronic and prog pop than Mazy Fly. That's not necessarily what I expected or wanted, but it works so well.



I agree 100% with you on the new Spellling album. I was expecting a lot more people to be talking about it because it is breathtaking. One of my favorites of the year for sure.


The Turning Wheel by Spellling
  • Quote
I gave a spin to the new SAULT album. It's not bad but rather forgettable in my opinion.


For those of you who like Dry Cleaning, I really enjoyed this song:

Link
  • Quote
Hopping in because I haven't posted in a while. Here are some albums recently that have rocked my socks. (Also can we talk about how big of a day June 25th was for album drops???????)


I Know I'm Funny Haha by Faye Webster

Incredible album. Blew me away beginning to end. Her lyrics are top notch and her style is distinct. Each album shows serious maturation in craft. She's too talented. Highlights are "Cheers" and "I Dream With a Baseball Player"


Blue Weekend by Wolf Alice

Insane production on this record. Really taking Wolf Alice to the next level after their Mercury Prize. I also love the concept approach here, focusing the album on the narrative of her breakup. Lyrics are great. Highlights are "No Hard Feelings," "Lipstick On The Glass," and "Delicious Things"


Home Video by Lucy Dacus

Dacus' best album so far. Concept record also, looking back at specific moments of her past and examining it all like a film. Great music, great lyricism. "Thumbs" is a career highlight to be. My favorite is "Going Going Gone," a complex and beautiful ballad with a chorus of all your favorite people (Phoebe Bridgers, Mitski, Julien Baker, etc)


Sincerely, E by Elizabeth And The Catapult

This came out a while ago, but just listened recently. Far and away her best record yet. This is a pandemic record that needs to be heard. Personal songs examining loneliness and diving into the depths of existentialism that the pandemic brought. Phenomenal songwriting. Extra relevant for us New Yorkers.
  • Quote

Bright Green Field by Squid

And I know I'm late to the game, but this album fucking rocks. Best post-punk record of 2021 IMO. Is post-punk the next big genre? Me thinks it might be a big one this decade with this British revolution....
  • Quote
couple recent things I've been enjoying


Own โ„ƒ by Jap Kasai
really fun footwork album heavily built around samples of Japanese traditional music



Wolfgang Rihm / Giaches De Wert: In Umbra Mortis by Cappella Amsterdam / Daniel Reuss
very intriguing religious choral/polyphonic chant music that finds points of connection between 2 composers born 400 years apart, treating respective compositions of the two like parts of the same whole, to very convincing & engaging effect



Let The Free Be Men by Rodrigo Amado / Joe McPhee / Kent Kessler / Chris Corsano
just really good free jazz, McPhee's sax here sounds intermittently like a tornado which is obviously great



Renewal by ๅฟต็ฅ– [Lim Tzo]
microhouse done in the Romanian minimalist style (by a Chinese Belgian guy) that perfectly hits that sweet spot between club bangers and afterparty vibing. is tasty
_________________
A Variety of Artists


Last edited by KitchenSink on 07/10/2021 04:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Just realized Fantano gave Spellling a 10/10. I'm not sure if I should feel cool or uncool for loving the album before Fantano crowd ๐Ÿ˜Ž
In all seriousness I'm still debating whether it's the best, 2nd best or 3rd best album I've heard this year, give it a try if you haven't, especially if you're a Kate Bush enthusiast.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:
New Cerebral Rot album is absurdly, impossibly heavy โ€ฆ and also great.


Listened to this not too long ago and I agree. Excellent death metal for those who love the OSDM sound.
_________________
...and for dessert!

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 404142 ... 606162  Next
Page 41 of 62


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
An Idiot Listens to Western Music: Co... RoundTheBend Music Diaries
[ Poll ] 2021-2022 NHL Season cestuneblague Lounge
[ Poll ] Get To Know A Top 10: December 2021 T... baystateoftheart Music
Best Films of 2021 [List] Hayden Movies & TV

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.