My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  123 ... 140141142 ... 193194195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
But you do agree it doesn't really feel as a Black Sabbath album ?


It does to me actually. It's different, but it still feels like Sabbath to me.
  • Quote
These are two albums of 1984:

First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:

Reckless by Bryan Adams
with Kids Wanna Rock I haven't heard since 14 July 2011 (although I must have heard it on the radio since then) and still a good track.
Of course this is grandpa rock but I am a grandpa (better word is step granddad) so there is still a side of me who really likes this album. I was 6 years in the Summer Of '69 so this song was there nearly all my life and Heaven is also one of those ballads I will always cherish however cheesy it may be. Good old rock 'n roll will never die and this is just what it is so the album goes from the 22nd to the 8th rank

An album on my wishlist:

New Sensations by Lou Reed
Since I'm in my Lou Reed period, it doesn't hurt to chose an album I haven't yet discovered of him although I know a lot of the songs like of course the title track. It's a fairly atypical upbeat album of his and maybe not his very best but it's still very enjoyable with other highlights like My Friend George and Doin' The Things That We Want To. There are some lesser songs but album still lands at the 22nd rank.
  • Quote
Here is 1985:

First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:

Psychocandy by The Jesus And Mary Chain
And that track is Sowing Seeds I have last heard on 15 April 2010 and which is actually a good track.
This is an album I have always underestimated a bit. I still don't think that it's the classic many people think it is but beneath all the fuzz there are indeed some good tracks of which especially the first two tracks need to be mentioned and which also show the two sides of the band. This album increases from the 26th to the 12th rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

Night Time by Killing Joke
This album shows that Killing Joke was not a one hit wonder. Of course Love Like Blood is one of the best tracks here but Kings And Queens is maybe even better. Although they were deeply rooted in the sound of the eighties they had their own sound. A very good album which immediately lands at the 10th rank of the year.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 1986 I listened to:

First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:

Graceland by Paul Simon
I'm sure I heard it on the radio since then, but the last time I heard You Can Call Me all via Itunes was 21 April 2016 which is rather surprising because still a fantastic song. As are all the hits on this album with Homeless as the beautiful outlier. Of course maybe he shouldn't have done it at that time for the obvious reasons but it's still a beautiful album which has done a lot to promote south-african music. And it goes from the 11th to the 8th rank.

An album off my wishlist:

Happy Head by The Mighty Lemon Drops
A bit the US answer to Echo and the Bunnymen but this is an excellent upbeat album which immediately enters at the 19th rank.
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
A bit the US answer to Echo and the Bunnymen...


Naah, the Lemon Drops were from Wolverhampton. The USA never did manage to produce an answer to Echo and the Bunnymen โ€”ย and not necessarily for want of trying either, because there were a few bands out there like Mission of Burma and Galaxie 500 who sort of gave it a shot. But none of those bands had that distinctive vocal sound, which makes sense because if you could sing like that in America at the time, you'd usually join a country-western or hair-metal band instead and make a lot more money.

Most of us blamed Ronald Reagan, of course, and to be fair, Reagan was almost totally blameworthy for most of America's moral and cultural failings at the time.
  • Quote
This just shows that Iโ€™m not really familiar with the band; but I dig their music
  • Quote
Just stole this...


Modern Times by Al Stewart

... from your 1975 chart! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
Just stole this...


Modern Times by Al Stewart

... from your 1975 chart! 8)

Indeed a great album but Year Of The Cat canโ€™t be topped
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 1987 I listened to:

First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:

Pleased To Meet Me by The Replacements
Night Club Jitters is a track I haven't listened to since 12 July 2007 and a bit deservedly because it's not really a great song. But the rest of the album is with of course Alex Chilton, which actually sounds like an Alex Chilton track, as the best track. The sound quality of this album is not great but overall it's very good and it climbs from the 52nd to the 33rd rank of 1987.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Mainstream by Lloyd Cole And The Commotions
Of course nothing can be topped by Rattlesnakes but surprisingly, this third album is also very good. The combination of his great voice and fine songwriters skills still do the trick perfectly. with the marvelous highlight Jennifer She Said as the obvious highlight. Good for the 29th rank of the year.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 1988 I listened to:

First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:

...And Justice For All by Metallica
And That Track is Dyers Eve I haven't listened to since 18 July 2014 and is indeed one of the weakest tracks on the album: but that means nothing at all because this album is a classic so even this one is a great one. And of course One is a great one as well as is the title track. A pure classic just below MoP and increases from the 5th to the 4th rank of the year.

And an album on my wishlist:

Hope Against Hope by Band Of Susans
I already knew the title track as one of their best and otherwise this debut album of their already shows all the (but growing) strengths of this band which is all about guitars: many guitars. And together they just display the typical Band Of Susans sound, a sound which I dig very much. Not their best album but this one already ends up at the 21st rank.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 140141142 ... 193194195  Next
Page 141 of 195


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
Favorite BEA discoveries, all time Listmeister Music
A board for your recent discoveries Spyglass Music
Radio killed the Video star (favorite... RoundTheBend Music
Best song per album by your favorite ... Listmeister Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.