My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  123 ... 145146147 ... 193194195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 1979 I listened to:

First an album I already know:

China by Vangelis
Vangelis is always on the limit of cheesy and ok and this is an ok album. There is a bit of a thread of unity to this album and the song writing is good so not a great album but one worth listening to and it goes from the 61st to the 55th rank of the year.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Top Priority by Rory Gallagher
This is a great blues album verging on hardrock and it suits him very well because it just shows once more Rory Gallagher is a guitar hero. There is one song which is nearly as good as his top song Shadow Play, Follow Me and At The Depot is just red hot but besides these two highlights every other track is just good including the two bonus tracks that I have on the version I'm listening to. One of his best and the album immediately enters at the 16th rank of 1979.
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
These are the two albums of 1979 I listened to:

Then an album on my wishlist:

Top Priority by Rory Gallagher
This is a great blues album verging on hardrock and it suits him very well because it just shows once more Rory Gallagher is a guitar hero. There is one song which is nearly as good as his top song Shadow Play, Follow Me and At The Depot is just red hot but besides these two highlights every other track is just good including the two bonus tracks that I have on the version I'm listening to. One of his best and the album immediately enters at the 16th rank of 1979.


I really need to listen to more Rory! Kind of a late in life discovery! I would have loved this stuff as a kid too!
  • Quote
These are my choices for 1980 albums:

First an album I already own:

Gentlemen Take Polaroids by Japan
This is a very good album with good songs like the title track and Taking Islands In Africa but it becomes a classic album because of one and only one songs: Nightporter is one of the greatest songs I know with its both melancholic and ominous sound. In any case their best album which rises from the 35th tot 14th rank.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Kilimanjaro by The Teardrop Explodes
When I was young this band an album weren't very high on my list of favorites but in listening to it again I think it's a fairly great album. The best know songs Treason and especially When I Dream are/were very good new wave and so are most of the rest of the track. Maybe sometimes a bit too poppy but its bouncy rhythms and additions of the organ make good a lot. The album immediately enters at the 28th rank.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 1981 I listened to:

First an album I already know/own:

Signals, Calls, And Marches by Mission Of Burma
In fact this is a mini-album of six tracks, their first and described by Allmusic to be the first indie album ever and containing the great That's When I reach For My Revolver. But I'm a bit stubborn and I go for the so-called definitive edition which contains 4 extra songs of which their also very good first single Academy Fight Song. Especially the songs of the mini-album are a bit rough around the edges but these don't make them less enjoyable. A very good one which climbs from the 13th to the 8th rank.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Give The People What They Want by The Kinks
When I first saw the tracklist of this album, I thought this must be one of the only albums of a well known band (by me) which doesn't contain any song I know. But I discovered I do know one, Art Lover, which was regularly played on the local radio at the time and is indeed not a bad track in the style of their older hits. But it's not alike most other tracks which are much harder edged in the style beginning with Low Budget and their live album One For The Road I like very much. One example is their pastiche on their own older hit All Day and All of The Night which is called Destroyer and which just sounds great. Not every song is fantastic but all in all I don't dislike this phase they were in and the album enters at the 39th rank of the year.
  • Quote
I only listened to an album of my wishlist of the year 1982:


Bad To The Bone by George Thorogood & The Destroyers
I very much like and the grating voice of George Thorogood and the hard rocking slide of his guitar. And when that coincides with great songs as the title track or Blue Highway, you've got hell of a good rocking and bluesy album like this one and which is good for the 12th rank of the year.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 1983 I listened to:

First an album I already own:

Synchronicity by The Police
Maybe a bit underrated but one of their most consistent albums with maybe only Mother stands out in a negative way but at the same time is a very courageous effort at making something other than they were used to. Even the at first view weaker songs like Tea In The Sahara or Miss Gradenko have something attractive which makes them fairly special after all. And of course there are the really good tracks with Synchronicity I (the II is not as bad as many people make it to be), the big hit Every Breath You Take, Wrapped Around Your Finger and for me especially King of Pain as the hightlights. An album which deserves to move from the 21st to the 8th rank.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Gravity Talks by Green On Red
The predecessor of their great Gas Food Lodging which was the album I discovered them by and which still sounds like it was made yesterday. But I must say this album sounds nearly as good and everything is there: the great raspy voice of Dan Stuart, the fantastic sounding organ and not in the least the great songwriting which have a country twang and paisley psychedelic sound at the same time but nevertheless sound dangerous. The title track and Cheap Wine are the highlights and the album enters at the 13nd rank of my 1983 year chart.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 1984 I listened to:

An album I already own:

From Her To Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Incredible that this first album is only ranked as the 13th Nick Cave album on BEA and it was also necessary for me to rank this album as the classic it is. It is very raw and very dark and still with a lot of references to The Birthday Party but has everything in which would define the music of Nick Cave in his later albums. And of course there is a big influence of Blixa Bargeld/Ensturzenden Neubauten on tracks like Cabin Fever or Saint Huck. But the definining track of the album is the title track in which the pitch black emotions evolve to an overwhelming end. Even better and more iconic than Tender Prey and goes from the 29th to the 6th rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

It'll End In Tears by This Mortal Coil
In fact an album dominated by two female singers from two special 4AD bands, Elizabeth/liz Frazer from Cocteau Twins, and Lisa Gerrard by Cocteau Twins. And an album dominated by its 6 covers which are overall much better than the 6 originals. And the winner to me is Liz Frazer both on the fantastic Tim Buckley cover Song To The Siren and the Roy Harper cover Another Day. But to make things more confusing, the best track on the album is Big Star cover Holocaust which is sung by Howard Devoto and is breath taking. All the tracks are very dreamy except for the jumpy Not Me, but also this track is good. All in all, the cover versions make the day but overall a good album which ends up at the 23rd rank of my year chart.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 1985 I listened to:

First an album I already own:

Love by The Cult (UK)
The signature album of The Cult with also many hits Nirvana, Rain, Revolution and especially She Sells Sanctuary. Together with other highlight The Phoenix, this makes an excellent album which rises from the 31st to the 12th rank.


And then an album from my wishlist:

Brother Where You Bound by Supertramp
Although Roger Hodgson is not on it any more I find this an enjoyable album. I like the voice of the current singer and there are nice additions of saxophone and other instruments and good songs. Although David Gilmour's guitar participates on the epic/the title song which has to appear on every album, it doesn't really appeal like their other epics. Nevertheless a good album which enters my year chart at the 24th rank.
  • Quote
Only an album from my wishlist for 1986:


Sound Of Confusion by Spacemen 3
7 long and droning space rock tracks on this album which must be one of the best in its genre. There are three covers here from 13th floor Elevators and The Stooges and also Loosing Touch With My Mind and OD Catastrophe are great. Clearly an album on drugs and mental problems but also great if you're not on these things. A near-classic album I unfortunately only could find on Youtube. It immediately enters at the 6th rank of the year.
  • Quote
Two albums of 1987 I listened to:

An album I already own:

You're Living All Over Me by Dinosaur Jr.
What a great album this is. It sounds very rough but the songs, the riffs, the overall guitar sound, all is sounding so overwhelming I cannot but adore this album (like I do most of their others). Poledo sounds like the artist Lou Barlow is going to become in his solo and Sebadoh efforts but is here just finding his way in a not entirly convincing way but aaaaalll the other songs are just perfect with Raisans and Little Furry Things as the total uppercuts. What an album and it moves from the 8th to the 3rd rank (there are Pixies and SY classics standing in the way this year).

An album on my wishlist:

Eleventh Dream Day by Eleventh Dream Day
Their first and more of a mini-album but it contains 7 tracks (for which I had to revert to Youtube) which is enough to count as a proper album. The opener Walking Through The Barrel Of A Gun is as good as any of their many highlights on albums to come while the other songs are good but feel as they still need to find their voice but that's just because that voice would become so powerful; all in all this is a great first album which ends up at the 17th rank of the year.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 145146147 ... 193194195  Next
Page 146 of 195


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
Favorite BEA discoveries, all time Listmeister Music
A board for your recent discoveries Spyglass Music
Radio killed the Video star (favorite... RoundTheBend Music
[ Poll ] Should I change my one album per arti... SquishypuffDave Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.