My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  123 ... 155156157 ... 193194195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 2009 I listened to:

First an album I own/know already:

Blue Record by Baroness
One of the best albums by this fairly classic heavy metal band. But to me they still can't compete completely with the real classic heavy bands. But some of the tracks are very good as is proven by Jake Leg, Swollen and Halo and A Horse Called Golgotha. But not everything here matches this quality so overall a bit of a mixed bag and the album moves from 85th to the 65th rank.

Then an album from my wishlist:

Dos by Wooden Shjips
Only 5 tracks but this is not an EP as there are 2 tracks of over 10 minutes of which especially Down By The Sea is very memorable as a good mix between The Doors and Yo La Tengo flavoured with the singing voice of Ripley Johnson who sounds very much like Alan Vega on this album which fits very good on the droning psychedelic tracks which take their time to develop. The album immediately enters at the 13th rank of my 2009 year chart.
  • Quote
First a household notification: I changed my scoring system a bit. Why: because I thought I had too many average good tracks (and albums) in my lists, ie having the score of 80. So I split my score 80 in a part still 80 (average but a bit better) and 75 (average but a bit worse) which means that former 75 become 70, former 70 becomes 65 and former 65 becomes 60; I tend to not go lower than that: bad albums don't make it in my lists.
For the moment and as a start I have left all the tracks with formerly 80 at 80 and will gradually decide which ones move down to 75. This of course means that the average scores of my albums will go down, not the best ones (although if there is one less than average track it will) but the average good ones.

And with this here are the two albums of 2010 I listened to and for both I had to think very hard in connection with my new scoring system:
First an album I already own:

Bang Goes The Knighthood by The Divine Comedy
Because there are many tracks here which score less than average and in fact I only liked 3 tracks of which only one makes it to 80: I Like. So all in all I'm a very lukewarm love of Divine Comedy. Sometimes the somewhat overdone romanticism strikes, like in I Like, but mostly not. So a bit of a hard decision but I decided to leave the album in my year chart but it remains at the last rank: 83

And an album from my wishlist and another album from Tindersticks:

Falling Down A Mountain by Tindersticks
I already stated that I love all the Tindersticks albums from the first one up to this one. But that's not the case for this one. Some tracks have a western tinge, but overall there is in fact no track here which does the same thing for me as the ones on the other albums. I didn't have to ponder about good below average or good above average, they are all at most average. The first Tindersticks album not to appear in my year chart.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 2011 I listened to (and still getting a bit lost in my new scoring system):

First an album I already know/own:

All Is Chaos by Steak Number Eight
Heavy album by a heavy Belgian band. I used to like the opening track more than I do now but the tracks is exactly what its title (Dickhead) sounds like and ultimately a bit childish but it remains a rollercoaster ride and still the best track on the album which can be best described as atmospheric metal. The album goes from the 58th to the 61st rank in my year chart.

Then an album from my wishlist:

The Twerps by The Twerps
Ozzies go kiwi/Flying Nun which means somewhat awkward music where a false note doesn't hurt but with a nice jangly sound. Nothing is great but good enough to be me in my year chart of 2011 at the 54th rank.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 2012 I already listened to:

First an album I already own:

Given To The Wild by The Maccabees
This album is better than I thought it was (it's only the second time I hear it completely since I put it in my 2012 year chart). It has a kind of wide open sound which is also the main feature of Arcade Fire (especially in Forever I've Known) and in that sense is a bit of Arcade Fire Light. But a pleasant album which moves up from the 53rd to the 45th rank.

Then an album from my wishlist and another Tindersticks album:

The Something Rain by TindersticksAfter a previous weaker album this is a return to form. Nothing really spectacular but they again succeed in matching very slow music with lush orchestration and getting away with it in the best way. Although they have done this before, they always succeed in making it that bit more interesting but tbh that's only if the voice of Stuart Staples is on it to add that extra touch. This means that the long spoken word at the start of the album not sung by Staples and the instrumental at the end drop off my list of good Tindersticks tracks. All the other tracks are as good as the next one. And the album enters my year chart at the 41st rank.
  • Quote
And two albums of 2013 I listened to:

First an album I already know/own:

Silence Yourself by Savages
A mix between Joy Division (the atmosphere) and Siouxsie & The Banshees (the singing) so not really original and certainly not as good as their peers. But the album is in general not bad so it's only normal that it stays in my top chart and even remains at the 48th rank.

And an album from my wishlist:

She's Gone by Upset
A bit of a supergroup girl band with lots of references to the nineties and for me closest to Magnapop, one of my favorite bands of that time. And this music really hits the right spot as well and just makes me happy just hearing it with a great guitar sound a great delivery of the nice and pointy song: what could I want more and it immediately enters at the 6th rank of 2013.
Btw, this is the second album I heard of the band and it's a real pity that their 2019 self-titled album has disappeared from Apple Music.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 2014 I listened to:

One I already own/know:

Close To The Glass by The Notwist
In principle music with lots of bleeps and electronics in general are not really my thing but you can serve me some Notwist anytime. They are often compared with the latter Radiohead (and I suppose then also The Smile) but that is not really the case in my opinion but as with those bands they do know how to keep their music interesting even if it's musical landscapes like Lineri. But it's the more heavy 7-Hour-Drive and especially Kong which do it for me here. So still an album I fairly like and it moves from the 66th to the 60th rank of my year chart.

And one from my wishlist:

Commonwealth by Sloan
This is a double album where the contributions to each of the four sides came from one of the four members of Sloan. And with this album I really have the impression if this was a cooperative effort of the band because they sound so much better if they mix the different styles each of them are capable to produce. And anyhow the individual songs don't really touch me.
Especially the last quarter is special because it's a nearly 18 minute suite. Overall it sounds ok and there's certainly some interesting parts in it but somehow the different pieces of the puzzle don't match in my view. So also this one didn't convince me enough so I finally chose not to include this album in my year chart.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 2015 I listened to:

First an album I already know/own:

TaxiWars by TaxiWars
These are the kinds of albums which don't really profit from my new scoring system as I like jazz albums but generally don't love them. Naturally there is also the fact that main member is Tom Barman, the singer of dEUS. The only track that I really like very much is the opener Death Ride Through Wet Snow and of course there are many OK ones but all in all this album remains at the last rank of my 2015 year chart.

And an album from my wishlist:

Hide And Seek by Mammoth Penguins
I didn't really know this band and it was a nice surprise listening to this album although there's nothing really mind blowing here. Sometimes the voice of the singer sounds a bit annoying but the songs are there so this is in general a good addition to my year chart and it enters at the 43rd rank.
I also discovered already released a new 2024 album so I listened to that one as well and equally liked it.
  • Quote
These are the two albums of 2016 I listened to:

First an album I already own/know:

Give A Glimpse Of What Yer Not by Dinosaur Jr.
This is the fourth album of their the career of one of my favorite bands (the first one was with Lou Barlow, the second without Lou Barlow and the third again with Lou Barlow). And again what a magnificent album it is. The guitars of J Mascis shine as before and the songs are there to enhance things further. There is nothing really knew but this is just one of those albums which make me happy just listening at it. Nearly all the songs are top but Lost All Day is even better. So it stays firmly at the top of my 2016 top chart.

Then an album on my wishlist and I continue my research on Tindersticks albums:

The Waiting Room by Tindersticks
The great asset of Tinderstick is the voice of Stuart Staples and the way he delivers the songs but on some of the tracks like the title track, he sings with a quivering voice which is not befitting at all and some of the tracks like How He Entered are just utterly boring. What's more: the best songs on the album are duets: Hey Lucinda with the late Lhasa De Sela and We Are Dreamers with Jehnny Beth from The Savages. I came to like Tindersticks beyond their first albums but this one is completely not my thing.
  • Quote
Two albums of 2017 I listened to:

First an album I already own/know:

Gargoyle by Mark Lanegan Band
Not his best album but Emperor and Old Swan prove that even of lesser albums Mark Lanegan can still shine. Still worthy to be me in my top chart and goes from the 60th to the 67th rank.

An album from my wishlist:

Candle Power by Rat Columns
I very much liked their second album Pacific Album and the first two tracks of this first album are a bit in the same style but the rest of the album is more experimental and not always in the good sense. Sometimes it only results in fairly meaningless music. Overall still worthy to be in my top chart but only just at the 93rd rank.
  • Quote
Two albums of 2018 I listened to:

One album I already know/own:

Siesta by Hater (SE)
The description of the band (and this album) on Allmusic is very fitting: "Swedish band who play sparkling yet melancholy indie pop with a slight hint of synth pop and post-punk mixed in." I've got nothing more to add: this album is ok but nothing more. It just makes it to my year chart where it moves from the 112th (yes I have more than a 100 albums in my year chart from this year) to the 103rd.

One album from my wishlist:

Burst Into Flames by Haunt
Let's call this midtempo speed metal and absolutely no screamo voices in sight; ok let's call it good but not fantastic hardrock and that's what it is. In my new scoring system not scoring very high and as 2018 is one of those years where I have more than a 100 albums in my year chart it doesn't even fit in my top 100 but good for my top chart anyway.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 155156157 ... 193194195  Next
Page 156 of 195


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
A board for your recent discoveries Spyglass Music
Radio killed the Video star (favorite... RoundTheBend Music
Favorite BEA discoveries, all time Listmeister Music
Only 10 posts/albums per page? HigherThanTheSun Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.