52%  [11]
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
47%
 47%  [10]
Total Votes : 21

Saoirse

• Posted: 06/19/2013 16:07
  • Post subject: CLOSED-BNMAT- Donuts def Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
DONUTS by J Dilla (captain: Norman Bates)

Donuts by J Dilla

Year Released: 2006

VS

YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS by Flaming Lips (captain: Mod)

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips

Year Released: 2002

Last edited by Saoirse on 06/23/2013 04:24; edited 1 time in total
Saoirse

• Posted: 06/19/2013 16:27
  • Post subject:
Donuts, by a mile. Just great music and extremely (not at all sentimentally) poignant. Yoshimi is sweet but not even the best Flaming Lips album of the 2000s
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/19/2013 16:47
  • Post subject:
I'll be coming back with some good old-fashioned promotion for Donuts later on tonight. For now, suffice it to say that I think it's sampling & beatmaking heaven, and I have voted for it.
  • Visit poster's website
Magikarp

• Posted: 06/19/2013 17:55
  • Post subject:
Donuts
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/19/2013 17:57
  • Post subject:
Would've voted Yoshimi had it been when I first joined.

Voted Donuts.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2013 18:48
  • Post subject:
Donuts wins this easy, amazing album.

I would actually put Yoshimi in the lower tier of Lips album, even though I still think its pretty good. Embryonic is my favorite 00/10's Flaming Lips album.
  • Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 06/19/2013 22:05
  • Post subject:
I'd really like to see lethalnezzle weigh in on this one...
nutso42

• Posted: 06/20/2013 01:06
  • Post subject:
Yoshimi. Currently number 2 on my chart.

(though I haven't yet heard Embryonic, so I should get around to that STAT)

• Posted: 06/20/2013 10:36
  • Post subject:
It's weird that this was a surprisingly easy decision for me. Went with Donuts. I have a real sentimental attachment to Yoshimi (it was the first album I owned by my favourite band, an album that has had as big of an influence on my listening life as The Blueprint or Blood On The Tracks), but if I could only choose one of these albums to listen to from now until my death it would be Donuts. Yoshimi just feels a little poppy, too often safe and predictable. Whilst I don't necessarily see those as bad things when listening to music, I just sort of expect more from The Flaming Lips. My favourite moments tend to be the instrumental songs, and I return to 'Yoshimi pt. 2' and 'Approaching Pavonis Mons' significantly more than any of the album's other tracks. I like to think that maybe I'm tired of the album because of how much I've listened to it, as though maybe the reason it doesn't excite me anymore is because of my own insistence on overexposure in my youth, but the same doesn't hold true of other albums I've heard hundreds of times. I still look forward to putting on The Blueprint, or Clouds Taste Metallic, or If You're Feeling Sinister. I feel like listening to Yoshimi is a chore these days, and I find myself reaching for the skip button all too often whenever I hear it, which is admittedly pretty infrequently. Donuts, on the other hand, is just wonderful. Dilla was capable of really breathing life into his beats, infusing them with a true sense of soul. Whilst my favourite work of his tends to be beneath vocalists or rappers (his contributions to The Pharcyde's Labcabincalifornia or Erykah Badu's Mama's Gun are the Dilla works I love the best), he is one of very few hip-hop producers who can make an entirely instrumental album work, and there probably isn't a better addition to the genre than Donuts. I love how this album is all easy-to-consume morsels of gorgeousness, keeping you entertained and on your toes thanks to the short track lengths and constant little changes of direction, somehow managing to maintain a real cohesion throughout. Despite everything I've said, I still love Yoshimi, and in many matches it would be my pick (though I will echo the sentiments of those who said it's not even the band's best of the 2000s, considering Embryonic exists), but I prefer Donuts. Donuts is an album I constantly find myself recommending to friends in an attempt to get them into hip-hop, or to help broaden their tastes, because it really is that good. Hip-hop would be a lesser genre without Dilla, and Donuts is probably his definitive release. Whilst it pains me to vote against an album that means as much to me as Yoshimi does, I've got to go with Donuts here.
Saoirse

• Posted: 06/23/2013 04:24
  • Post subject:
BEA'S DOIN' DONUTS OVER YOSHIMI