How many albums did you go through today?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2014 19:19
  • Post subject:
Mmm... Depends on the day. Usually, I only listen to a few albums. When there's new stuff, I listen to two a day, but I listen to them over and over so I get used to it. Generally, I take my time. There's no rush.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 01/11/2014 23:15
  • Post subject:
I've dropped the ball. I have done 0 albums for a long time. Sad
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 01/11/2014 23:16
  • Post subject:
An astonishing 7, plus one I couldn't finish due to the general audience's veto. Very rare score these days.
  • Visit poster's website
quincytejani

• Posted: 01/12/2014 16:21
  • Post subject:
Usually 1 or 2 new albums a day and then a couple of the old favourites added in also
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/12/2014 19:47
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
I think the number of albums is a bit weird. What if I listened to, say, 10 ten-minute EPs and 5 forty-minute albums? That's about 4 hours and a half of music. OR, let's say, I listen to 2 compilations that are each about 4 hours long. Only 2 albums, but holy shit, 8 hours!

But, I tend to try about 10 albums, up to 15. That can often mean just 15 minutes of an album before deciding I'm bored and want to listen to something else...

More likely, 10 is a lot, and 15 is unreasonable. If you want to count 10 minute EP's (which are basically singles) as albums, then your definition is, to me, skewed. And 15 minutes in, bored, on to the next one...should that really count?

Giving the benefit of the doubt, let's go with an average time of 45 minutes per single (not doubles) album. What it was more during the days of all vinyl than the increased time (60-75 minutes) when CD's came about. At 45 minutes per album, you're talking about 11.25 hours of music. This means that if you woke up at 9AM (assuming that if you listen to this much music you don't have a job), and took absolutely no breaks whatsoever, and never once turned off your music, you would be listening from 9AM to 8:15PM. Let's say you take an hour break for lunch. And another hour for meeting with people, taking a walk maybe, things that have to do with life...we're talking music listening from 9AM to 10:15PM.

This is based on 45 minute albums. An average album length of an hour seems more realistic. Wake up at 9AM, listen non stop to 15 albums means you are done at midnight.

I don't know if I can buy into 15.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 01/12/2014 20:02
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
More likely, 10 is a lot, and 15 is unreasonable. If you want to count 10 minute EP's (which are basically singles) as albums, then your definition is, to me, skewed. And 15 minutes in, bored, on to the next one...should that really count?

Giving the benefit of the doubt, let's go with an average time of 45 minutes per single (not doubles) album. What it was more during the days of all vinyl than the increased time (60-75 minutes) when CD's came about. At 45 minutes per album, you're talking about 11.25 hours of music. This means that if you woke up at 9AM (assuming that if you listen to this much music you don't have a job), and took absolutely no breaks whatsoever, and never once turned off your music, you would be listening from 9AM to 8:15PM. Let's say you take an hour break for lunch. And another hour for meeting with people, taking a walk maybe, things that have to do with life...we're talking music listening from 9AM to 10:15PM.

This is based on 45 minute albums. An average album length of an hour seems more realistic. Wake up at 9AM, listen non stop to 15 albums means you are done at midnight.

I think the most I've ever listened to in a day is six, and most of then were just over a half hour, like Revolver. I don't listen to that many albums a day unless they're shorter albums (around twenty-five minutes to a half hour), and even then I typically only clock in 2 hours a day.\

Actually, last month I played five hours of albums in a day.

JMan wrote:
I got through three albums yesterday, all Zeppelin. How the West Was Won (2 and a half hours), Physical Graffiti, and Led Zeppelin III.

Last edited by JMan on 01/12/2014 20:11; edited 1 time in total

• Posted: 01/12/2014 20:05
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

If I tried 15, that most likely means I didn't finish about half of them, which goes back to why I find the number of albums weird.

How many hours a day do I listen to music? It depends. Over the past two weeks, I've slowed down quite a bit to listen to more my favorites. But before that, I'd listen to maybe... 8 hours a day, more or less. If the average album was 40 minutes, that's 12 albums.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/12/2014 20:22
  • Post subject:
I usually go through maybe 4-6. At least one or two of these will be first listens.
  • Visit poster's website
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/12/2014 20:25
  • Post subject:
In the holidays I can do over ten albums in a day. Weekdays it'll probably be 1 or 2 albums, at school, then 1 or 2 albums at home. Weekends I'll usually go between 5-10 albums.
  • Visit poster's website
rayword45

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2014 07:12
  • Post subject:
Bumping this for Valentine's Day.

Albums listened to before midnight

Cross by Justice

Great dance album. By far the most upbeat album I've listened to today.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel

Not the most Valentine-y album, as this is some bizarre love.

Songs Of Love And Hate by Leonard Cohen

Don't have much to say. I really like the vocal performance in Diamonds on the Mine though that song just seems out of place.

Oar by Alexander Spence

Exact same description as I used for Aeroplane can be used here.

Two Things At Once by The Descendents

Hooray for appealing to the inner misogynist of all single men!

Sea Change by Beck

I've been the biggest detractor of this album for the longest time. Now that I've had some real missed opportunities, I can safely say that my opinion has just about remained static. I'll give it a bonus 2 percent so now it's a 72%. My opinion is still the same. Round the Bend and Sunday Sun are by far the best songs, though End of the Day and Side of the Road are also pretty good. Some of the Phil Spector strings can be embarrassing though, Guess I'm Doing Fine is still overrated as fuck and It's All In Your Mind is a pathetically overblown song compared to the two-chord lo-fi beauty of the original.

Get Lonely by The Mountain Goats
I started listening to this at 11:55 so it counts. First full listen.

This is exactly why I prefer the lo-fi albums. Not because of the "warmth" but rather the furious guitar and strained vocals that were featured on those albums. These hi-fi albums veer dangerously towards soft rock.

Thankfully, the lyricism is still pretty good.

Albums listened to after midnight, before I went to bed

Either/or by Elliott Smith

You know, I should've chosen to listen to XO or From A Basement On The Hill so I can get through this man's discography sooner. Ah well. I wanted a downer of an album but I've listen to the self-titled too recently, so I went with this.

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys

Well, I chose this over Quebec by Ween because it's shorter. Before I listened to this, I listened to Summertime Clothes because I needed some freaking sunshine at 1:15 AM.

Definitely one of my top 10 favorite albums now.

End the day with Birthday Boy by Ween and wow, I just made myself sad. What the hell why did I do that?
  • Visit poster's website