Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 02/23/2015 21:34
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
Maybe we should have a BEA referendum. I'll happily champion the anti-genre lobby. Wink

Amen.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/23/2015 21:43
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
I don't simply want to shove "my" music into boxes for superfluous or arbitrary reasons. So much of music is interesting, and genres are simply another chapter in that book.

Point taken chap. I suppose another take on my stance is how accurate any said genre tagging would be, because if it was 100% on the money and wasn't intrusive (i.e. helpful to other users, but not overbearing to us old gits who couldn't give a toss) then I can't see a problem as it won't personally affect me...

...BUT what I am saying is that a repeat of mis-labeling one album as something it isn't could ruffle people's feathers, especially in light of the 'reggae' and 'indie-pop' examples cited a few posts back.

I still say a referendum/poll would be a good way to gauge opinion on something which will undoubtedly take a fair bit of time on AM's part to put into motion, with the options being:

- no genres whatsoever, keep the status quo
- allow users to specify genre-specific charts and make these searchable
- allow any new albums added to the database to be labelled with a genre tag, perhaps for future usage
- allow any data mod. who has the time and desire to add genre tags to current albums, again for future usage
- label every sodding thing the database has and allow all to search by genre to their heart's content.

I like the thought of option 2 above, which someone else mentioned earlier in this thread. Then again, that's me innit.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States
  • Posted: 02/23/2015 22:47
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
- allow users to specify genre-specific charts and make these searchable

To expand on this, maybe it could be possible to customize the overall to only show albums included in a certain genre's chart, and only including the points for that album in those charts. So if someone searches for "best post-hardcore albums," they'd get a chart that only includes points from user's post-hardcore charts (kind of like how current year albums don't count towards the overall, except opposite and not really like that now that I think about it). People could still put Abbey Road on a post-hardcore chart if they wanted to but this kind of search would filter the most common albums to the top. Just a thought.

While I never consciously listen to certain genres, it does give me a good way to find similar albums. There are times when I'm in the mood for certain genres and want to expand on my listening. Not so that I can claim I've heard X number of albums in said genre, but because it helps put the rest of what I've heard in context.
BrandonMiaow
  • Posted: 02/24/2015 00:29
  • Post subject:
I hate to ask this, but I'm starting to wonder, with all these ideas...aren't we basically just adding everything RYM already has? What is there to differentiate us? I am fond of genre charts, or just having a tagging system for charts really, which would broaden the scope beyond genres, because it keeps the focus on charts and makes the chart system more sophisticated and searchable. And in addition to that, it'll make it so non-forum users can have their charts found without having to post in the forums just to make people aware and curious about them. It seems a very logical next step for BEA, and I think it keeps the focus where it ought to be.
nachosbob

United States
  • Posted: 02/24/2015 01:15
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
I hate to ask this, but I'm starting to wonder, with all these ideas...aren't we basically just adding everything RYM already has? What is there to differentiate us? I am fond of genre charts, or just having a tagging system for charts really, which would broaden the scope beyond genres, because it keeps the focus on charts and makes the chart system more sophisticated and searchable. And in addition to that, it'll make it so non-forum users can have their charts found without having to post in the forums just to make people aware and curious about them. It seems a very logical next step for BEA, and I think it keeps the focus where it ought to be.

I agree with all of this

Memo to myself:
Do the dumb things I gotta do
Touch the puppet head
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 02/24/2015 21:18
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:

Yes yes yes.

We need to avoid being too much like RYM for BEA to continue to have its own unique identity.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2015 21:29
  • Post subject:
I don't see any reason why we would need the genre tags. Not saying anything about genres as an idea, but I don't know why we would need a system.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 02/24/2015 22:04
  • Post subject:
I'm kind of sitting on the fence in terms of this idea. I do hope to see genres introduced here at some stage (Not so much for my benefit, but for the benefit of the site as a whole). That said, the system should be right and that's where I feel the problem lies, like Gowi said, we don't need something like that tagging system on Last Fm, we need something that'll suit BEA, what that is I'm not sure of yet.

The reason I feel genres will benefit the site in the long run is because I can see it helping the site and in turn, the forums, grow and develop. People join BEA often looking for albums of specific genres, when they realise that there's none here they up and leave to never be seen again. I know this isn't always the case, but I'm sure if done right genres can benefit the site as a whole.

• Visit poster's website
JMan
  • Posted: 03/23/2015 03:37
  • Post subject:
I don't see many discussions about genre nit-picking on RYM, so I don't think voting up and down will be a problem here. The problem would be the number of voters. BEA's tiny compared to RYM.