46%  [13]
Total Votes : 28

Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/08/2015 19:56
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
Wiki's got it as 64, I figured I'd probably be aight since the album was released in 65.

Besides, doubt anyone's had their minds made up by ol' Horace :b

I quite liked Horace! And as someone who generally eschews jazz, that's saying something. Really liked your team but couldn't ever vote against a team with Two Sevens Clash in it!
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/09/2015 06:08
  • Post subject:
I've been thinking about this matchup all week. IMO it's the closest matched teams we've had yet which makes it extremely interesting battle. How to break down TEN albums that all could be on my overall especially since the singles are all solid too (except for perhaps that well-mannered dinnertime jazz of the Horace Silver Quintet which just doesn't do too much for me anymore probably 'cause I've heard it like a zillion times). Cheers to Alel for hitting well above his years weight class & composing TWO giant killer teams. I never would have believed that '65 could have taken down such heavyweights as '67 or '77, but damn if he doesn't make some convincing arguments. But, after a wee bit of hemming & hawing due to the inclusion of Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death, I'm going '77 here.

I actually thought about giving it to '77 for the sheer reason that things are finally getting hot & sunny here in Chicago , and it's sporting two of the very best OUTDOOR summer party albums of all time in Two Sevens Clash and Hard Again. But, then I thought of an even better reason. '77 has two of the most singular and unique masterpieces in underground rock in Marquee Moon and Suicide's debut. Albums that were lumped in to the punk scene at the time, but really don't fit neatly there at all, but at the same time are complete classics of that genre. When I was putting together my Repo Punk chart a few months ago (see my sig below), it's not really surprising to anyone that these two albums would make my top ten (Marquee Moon is actually #1) despite not being even close to the archetypal punk sound. In fact both albums have key attributes that fly flat in the face of stereotypical punk rock conventions. Yet, they don't fit neatly into any other genre either. Another way of looking at it is that these are particular hard albums to give recs off of which speaks volumes for their creativity and singularity.

Oh, and that Jarre single is dope for noise nerd like me - great space age, bubbly ambient pop. Definitely more beguiling than that Horace Silver tract. Pretty sure Stereolab were big fans.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/09/2015 17:22
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Cheers to Alel for hitting well above his years weight class & composing TWO giant killer teams.

I ain't finished either. No sirree.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 05/10/2015 00:25
  • Post subject:
I have a vote to give away if someone can convince me to give it away Wink Does any captain want to take it?
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/10/2015 00:29
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
I have a vote to give away if someone can convince me to give it away Wink Does any captain want to take it?

I ain't no miracle worker, but hopefully that votes got nowhere to run but 1965, today!
  • Visit poster's website