Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2015 03:02
  • Post subject:
dmercado wrote:
Well, Legend isn't an album, idk why it's Album of the day

Must be a book then.
Anyway, I find it rather enjoyable, but not interesting. That said, it has not motivated me to delve deeper into reggae, so by mecca's definition, it's godawful. No Woman No Cry, Could You Be Loved, and One Love all make me smile though. Still, I'd rather listen to The Congos.
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/22/2015 13:38
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Godawful, and I say this as somebody who loves Bob Marley. Just listen to Burnin' or Catch a Fire or even Rastaman Vibration instead.

Or Natty Dread.

I (and I) have always had a major problem with Legend, in so far as for the vast majority of heathens this would be their entry point to the vastness of the 'reggae' genre. And in here lies the problem - Legend is hardly representative of the genre at all, in fact given all the studio musicians and Blackwell's tampering with Marley by turning him into an AOR artist it's more a soft-rock compy than a reggae masterpiece (musically at least - no-one could ever doubt his credentials as a public figure, a force for good in Jamaican society, an exponent of Positive Vibration, etc. etc.) Sure, some of the tracks are ace, but Legend is a case of marketing (i.e. 'this is reggae - accept no substitutes unless you like UB40') and packaging (he was a good looking chap, Bob) over substance. Hence why it sold by the truckload.

I've long associated Legend with middle-class student types whose sole reason for owning it is as a soundtrack to get caned to. You'd probably be happy snorting coke to Rumours as well if you're that way inclined. It almost breaks my heart when people rule out listening to other Jamaican music solely because Legend does little for them. To these ears it's always been little more than background music at a snobby BBQ that the wife likes.

Personally I think your best entry into 'reggae' if you want to dip your toes in the Caribbean Sea is this:

The Harder They Come by Various Artists
  • Visit poster's website