Musical taste is never the same.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 10/04/2015 00:05
  • Post subject: Re: Musical taste is never the same.
luis721 wrote:
What do you think about these people who "cries" when somebody gives a low rate about Radiohead or criticises them?

i think i'm one of those people and if you don't like madlib or death grips i will blow spit straight into your earholes until they are properly lubricated to be penetrated by mc rides voice

"I'LL TAKE MY LIFE LIKE I KEPT IT"
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 10/04/2015 02:36
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Quote:
Cool Guy: The assumption that BEA is radically against objectivity is a fucking farce
The whole site exists to promote a single canon and follow a single trend-stream
If we didn't care about objectivity we wouldn't think JOSweetHeart's taste was so funny
We wouldn't be on a site fucking CALLED "best ever albums"
We wouldn't rank or rate each other's charts

None of this has anything to do with objectivity. My chart ratings tend to boil down to utility:

1. Do they have similar taste?
2. Are there albums here I haven't heard?

Charts that only fill one criteria are of little value. Subjectively.

I don't think many active members here take the name and mission statement of the site seriously. Most people are here because they want to find new music.

Applerill wrote:
Quote:
Cool Guy: It's all about cultural and social capital
We enforce our own notions of taste through the rating and ranking system on others, force them to conform or leave.
The rating system literally CONDITIONS users to like the same kind of music
Because we rate each other's tastes
"Who among us is the most tasteful?" is the real question asked by BEA
It's an internet cool kids contest

I agree about the cultural/social capital thing. I don't think it's so much that we are conditioned to like the same kind of music (though it's obviously true to an extent since taste doesn't exist in a vacuum). It's more that we are conditioned to share the same attitudes about music. Being well-listened, open to different forms, etc. Maybe some of the lower rated charts receive their low scores because users sense some kind of attitude they don't like? Just a guess.

As far as I know there aren't any albums I would have liked if not for BEA, but there are plenty I would have dismissed if not for BEA. In many cases BEA has explicitly dismantled my own musical "prejudices".

tl;dr: Valuing something isn't the same as saying it has objective value. Cool Guy doesn't know what objective value means.
  • Visit poster's website
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 10/04/2015 20:59
  • Post subject:
I have had absolutely zero problem with being taken to task for what is or is not on my charts and I extend the same courtesy to others. To each their own is my moto. I have no Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Green Day, U2, Nirvana or Coldplay in any of my charts. I can not recall a single time someone has made an issue out of it. To be honest, I think it's a very rare occurrence here.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 10/06/2015 01:37
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:
The fact that people focus on JOS is only because of the 40 page thread.

I won't deny my consistency in that chat. To be 100% honest though, there are things having to do with James that I have found that I could've added to the chat but I never did. Why didn't I add them? I didn't want to irritate those who don't like the chat about him being here more than I already have, so I decided to just stick to what is most important about what goes on with James when it goes on with him. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and him always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

P.S. Oh and to be fair, if you look at the chat, you will see that I have had plenty of help where its growth is concerned. Help that I have very much appreciated, don't get me wrong. I am very thankful for all of it. Smile Smile Smile

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website