Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/11/2015 15:54
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
*"Good Riddance/Time of Your Life" plays during a tasteful montage of several years of LAD's life spent staring at a computer screen with headphones on*

I'd say "Don't soil my memories with Green Day" but then there's nothing there worth preserving (apart from, of course, the Golden Age of BEA).
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2015 18:26
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I dunno, I think nostalgia is fine in small doses, but you need to make sure that you hearing a song when you were five isn't the only reason you like it. Going back to Souljaboytellem.com, I obviously have a lot of good memories with it, but I can name a half-dozen "objective" reasons why it's one of the greatest albums ever made. I don't think you need to be "brutal" with our former favorites as much as we need to find out why else we're drawn to them.

I wasn't talking about music we liked at the age of 5. I was talking about after the age of reason, when we can "objectively" tell the difference between good music and shitty music. And what happens if good music gets old...to the point where it no longer does anything for you.

I totally agree it's essential to stay objective when making a list. But should your objective opinion of music decrease if you loved it for many years, but then it stopped making you feel anything? If an album cannot stand the test of, let's say ten years and hundreds of listens, should that be considered a flaw in the album, and warrant lowering or removal from your chart?
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2015 19:03
  • Post subject:
zdwyatt wrote:
I think nostalgia factors in a different way. Take these two albums:

Nevermind by Nirvana

Ten by Pearl Jam

I was 13 when those albums came out. And, as I wrote in my review of Nevermind:
Quote:

It's so hard to evaluate this album fairly. I was at exactly the right age for this release to blow my mind. And when I put it on today, I still love it, from start to finish. Is it overrated in some objective sense? It might be. But I can't say for sure because I never get tired of it.

The same goes for Ten. Those are both 5-star albums for me. They sit at #1 and #2 on my 1991 chart. If I were 13 now and I heard those albums for the first time, I don't know what I'd think. I doubt I'd like them as much as I do. I am sure some part of my love of those albums is their total familiarity. I listened to them over and over and over and when I hear them now, I am taken right back to that time.

jhuik wrote:
As one of the oldest people on this site I'm an expert on nostalgia. To a strong degree, my decade charts attempt to reflect what I liked during those decades...My overall chart is a best attempt to reflect what I personally think are the best (you know... my favourite, a lot of the time) albums.

I often defend some choices (e.g. U2) by saying if you weren't there when it came out you can't understand why it is still great imho... I don't know if that's nostalgia so much as just respect for the past.

Thank you gentlemen for sharing. I think being there and listening to the albums when they were first released definitely plays a part. Because the music not only takes you back to when you first heard it, but also the entire cultural environment that produced it. A lot of us younger users don't have many of those experiences, because we couldn't possibly have listened to many albums on our charts when they were first released. When I hear Nevermind and Ten, I'm not taken back to 1991 when I was a baby; That's not even possible because I don't have memories of that age. Instead, I'm taken back to 2006 when I was in high school and heard these albums for the first time when me and some friends would get together and play poker, and this music would be jamming in the background on my buddy's stereo. Good times and certainly good music, but I missed out on the bigger cultural movement. Not my fault; I was born too late.

But anyway, I think being there and listening to albums when they were first released probably generates a stronger nostalgic memory, stronger than the one I just described (and of course, LAD's memories of sitting at the computer spotifying and torrenting). And the stronger the nostalgic memory, I guess the tougher it is to lower or remove the albums from your charts if they get old/overplayed.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 10/12/2015 21:01; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 10/12/2015 20:31
  • Post subject:
Sometimes it's a risky proposition to spend too much time revisiting old favourites. I've had quite a few change in my perception listening to them with the different contexts of an adult man as opposed to a teenager. Sometimes I wonder if they're better served in the warm and fuzzy lens of nostalgia.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/12/2015 20:49
  • Post subject:
I guess there are a few albums that generally have less of an effect on me these days - either due to evolution in my taste or overkill - which I just can't bring myself to remove from my chart (Searching for the Young Soul Rebels; Clouds Taste Metallic; Below the Heavens; Internal Affairs; Two Sevens Clash; Black Woman & Child). It's not as though I don't thoroughly enjoy these albums every time I hear them - I do, and they wouldn't be anywhere near my chart if I didn't - but it's fair to say that they've lost a certain amount of their lustre for me. But I don't think my chart is massively indebted to "nostalgia", though in fairness it's not really an accurate representation of my favourite albums either (in terms of the present or of all-time).
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2015 16:55
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I guess there are a few albums that generally have less of an effect on me these days - either due to evolution in my taste or overkill

I think this is common for any of who've been listening to music for a long time. It's also hard to fairly separate nostalgia from a current listen of the record. Would I love stuff like Abbey Road, Mr Bungle, and Piper at the Gates if they had not been so impactful on me at a young age? I'm not sure. I do know that I still love every minute of those records, and there's stuff like Green Day's Dookie that I don't hold in such high regard anymore despite being an album I obsessively loved when I was younger. I think nostalgic attachment can take an album you really like over the top, but if you no longer enjoy the record that much, the effect of the nostalgia no longer provides the same impact.
  • Visit poster's website

Spain

• Posted: 10/14/2015 14:33
  • Post subject:
Well, it depends. I've been loving Joni Mitchell's Blue for years, and I'm aware that a huge part of my current love for it is due to nostalgia, but for whatever reason I can't get enough of it and it's still my number one pick. Other albums like Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A. have held up pretty well for me, but I've inevitably lower them over time because I haven't stopped loving them, but I do have encountered other albums that have challenged their positions. And other albums like Eminem's Encore have completely disappeared from my chart because I don't find them interesting anymore. So nostalgia can play an important role in my choices, but eventually it all comes down to how I feel about the album right now. Sometimes nostalgia is not enough to get me excited anymore.
  • Visit poster's website