Point of Discussion: Topics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Satie

• Posted: 02/28/2016 16:19
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Sorry maybe I'm totaly screwing up this thread... some people have indeed responded to ideas... also why are these ideas not becoming threads? Is it just once a week or something?

This thread is for keeping topics organized. A new PoD goes up once a week so we have time to flesh out perspectives on topics that are supposed to be a bit more in depth. Otherwise this would be a useless mediating thread and people could just post a new topic. The idea is to have at least one thread a week with high activity that goes above and beyond endless lists of album covers and covers more ground than we typically get to in other discussion driven threads.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/28/2016 21:55
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
I'm interested in how we conceive of "experimental" music. It seems like a lot of listeners have a threshold for "compellingly experimental" and another for "wank/pretentious/etc." I'm interested in where these goal markers are, how something being labeled experimental persuades or dissuades us from giving it a listen or repeat listens. I'm also interested if there's a way to come to a consensus of what exactly it means. For me, it seems like kind of a badge of honor that rock fans add to certain albums they consider of a higher caliber as far as complexity and presentation, etc. even when an album doesn't literally experiment with the sound of the genre it's in (for example, the past two Swans albums have followed largely the same blueprint; how, then, could both be literally experimental? what does it mean that we call them experimental rock?).

I'm also interested in this topic. I am curious on why I really like Moondog and Silver Apples (groups I consider to be "experimental") I can only appreciate atonalism or 12 tome music from far far away. I think I know the answer, but I also would find it an interesting topic.

Also sorry for screwing up the thread.
  • Visit poster's website