View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2016 19:35
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
meccalecca wrote:

Why do so many bands do the whole "Woah Oh Oh" thing. It's totally obnoxious.

I remember a moment in my first year of uni, where two of my classmates musicians were discussing their respective bands. Their styles were pretty different, one was a drummer for this noisy mathy punk band, the other one was a singer/guitarist in a poppy ska-punk type band. He wanted to give some tips on songwriting (well-intentioned, I'm sure), and he was saying to the drummer how their (the drummer's) band should work on including more interjections in their lyrics. "Things like "wooaah oh", "yeaahh" - it's really good with the crowds".

I'll never forget the drummer's blank stare after that. But I think he politely explained that his band may have a slightly different ideas and views on music.

Hahaha. thank you for sharing that. And of course it was the guy from the ska-punk band who thinks it's a good idea.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2016 19:37
  • Post subject:

Here In The Deadlights by The Loom

Out today. I booked The Loom a few times back when I lived in New York. They seemed to exist in a realm people couldn't quite define, playing heavier rock with the inclusion of folk instruments. They were commonly referred to as folk, although I think they had more in common with Low than folk. After a 5 year hiatus, they've returned with their first of 2 new albums written during a really challenging time in the life of songwriter John Fanning. This album is definitely the heaviest thing they've done, both sonically and emotionally. There's bits of stoner rock, krautrock, folk, psych, slowcore, etc.

Here's cut. definitely the most panic inducing, Swans-indebted track.

Link

some other stuff I've been listening to

A Sailor's Guide To Earth by Sturgill Simpson

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not as sold on Simpson as others. This is another impeccably crafted album, so I imagine getting more and more with each listen, but so far I'm not in love with it.

Nocturnal Koreans by Wire

Good first listen. Certainly not up to the standard of their first 3 albums, but I think I already prefer it over last year's s/t record. It may also be their softest record.

Asphalt For Eden by Dälek

Another first listen. Pretty much what you can expect from Dälek. Even without Oktopus on board,Dalek sounds like Dalek, which is to say, it's an atmospherically stark alt hip hop record.

Susanna - Triangle

Her collaboration with Jenny Hval is incredible, so I was definitely looking forward to this one. There's some pretty exquisite moments that recall Meshes of Voice, but 22 songs and over an hour run time, I also couldn't help but feel like this drags quite a bit
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2016 22:03
  • Post subject:
I got to ask Chicano Batman a few questions about their upcoming record and stuff.
Here it is... http://meccalecca.com/?p=27003
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/11/2016 15:35
  • Post subject:

The Colour In Anything by James Blake

I've never entirely bought into the James Blake hype. I think his talent is undeniable, but I often find his albums as a whole a bit underwhelming. The Colour in Anything is another one of those records by Blake in which the potential for something great is there but I can't help but feel it all gets a bit tiring as the album drags on. There's many worthwhile tracks, but as a whole it could benefit from greater variation.
  • Visit poster's website