Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tap
to resume download

United States
  • Posted: 10/16/2017 12:05
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Look at some of the pictures. They just look like hipsters.

lol it all comes back around I guess
  • Visit poster's website
wooolf

Belgium
  • Posted: 10/16/2017 12:59
  • Post subject:
Does 'Surfin' Bird' count? (Trashmen)
Love that one, ofc.

'My Generation' ?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 10/16/2017 13:12
  • Post subject:
wooolf wrote:
Does 'Surfin' Bird' count? (Trashmen)
Love that one, ofc.

'My Generation' ?

Now see, in my mind, I don't think of surf rock as garage rock. To me theyre two different things. I love it also though.
And I don't know about my generation. I would say that the Who were too professional of a band to be garage Rock. But I'm sure other people would call it that.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/16/2017 17:22
  • Post subject:
This thread is totally skewed thanks to the OP's rather dismissive definition of 'garage rock' as being time-constrained and throwaway. Which of course it isn't - attitude and look are just as important as the music, which should be viewed as a feral, back-to-basics, 'warts-n-all' approach to Rhythm and Blues, preferably recorded on a dictaphone and not limited to those who've not had piano lessons. It was punk before punk. For every Shaggs, there's a Monks:

Link

And for every Monks, there's a Chymes:

Link

• Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 10/16/2017 17:26
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
This thread is totally skewed thanks to the OP's rather dismissive definition of 'garage rock' as being time-constrained and throwaway. Which of course it isn't - attitude and look are just as important as the music, which should be viewed as a feral, back-to-basics, 'warts-n-all' approach to Rhythm and Blues, preferably recorded on a dictaphone and not limited to those who've not had piano lessons. It was punk before punk. For every Shaggs, there's a Monks:

Link

And for every Monks, there's a Chymes:

Link

Yes, I guess that would be a hipster's. definition. But it ain't the definition of the rest of the world.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/16/2017 17:40
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Yes, I guess that would be a hipster's. definition. But it ain't the definition of the rest of the world.

Why does the length of one's goatee and predisposition towards hemp products determine how a genre (and a rather spurious one at that) should be defined? Sister Ray is a garage track. The Clash defined themselves as a 'garage band from garage land'. The fascinating thing about 60s GR is the amount of small little labels that put out nuggets (deliberate pun) which made ripples locally but never did a lot on a national/international level - something of a precursor to the UK punk and post-punk movement (which of course took a lot from their garage rock forefathers, but added social commentary and ripped jeans on top of bubblegum pop song structures). That aside, garage rock has been used to define raw guitar-based Rock 'n' Roll from the 60s until now. You don't need to be a hipster to see that.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 17:49
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
This thread is totally skewed thanks to the OP's rather dismissive definition of 'garage rock' as being time-constrained and throwaway. Which of course it isn't - attitude and look are just as important as the music, which should be viewed as a feral, back-to-basics, 'warts-n-all' approach to Rhythm and Blues, preferably recorded on a dictaphone and not limited to those who've not had piano lessons. It was punk before punk.

This is 100% exactly what garage rock is. Back to basics, raw, old school R&B with basic chord structures. I like the "punk before punk" description, that's perfect.

Sure, it peaked in the 60s, especially with all the stuff on Artyfacts, but it didn't die out, it evolved eventually into proto-punk and punk in general, ultimately followed up by a 2000s revival from bands like The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Black Keys, The Vines and eventually Ty Segall, Jay Reatard, and Thee Oh Sees.

I don't think any genre has a very specific definition, and generally speaking, whether or not one band fits in one genre can be somewhat subjective, but to say that garage rock existed in the 60s and the 60s only is just ignorant of the history and evolution of the genre.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States
  • Posted: 10/16/2017 18:04
  • Post subject:
Right. Garage never went away. So many great grade bands from the 80s that I love. NoisyBeast and Cymro are kind of the local garage rock gurus. Always love perusing their charts.

Anyways, this comp is awesome at looking at some of the great garage rock singles after the 60s....

Children of Nuggets: Original Artyfacts...us Artists

And this is one of my favorite garage rock albums of all time and it's from the 80s...

On Fyre by Lyres

Of course, I'm total hipster! Just ask my kids. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website