What is the proper number of CDs or vinyl to own??

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What's the proper amount of CDs or vinyl albums one should own?
0%
 0%  [0]
4%
 4%  [1]
0%
 0%  [0]
0%
 0%  [0]
20-25
4%
 4%  [1]
0%
 0%  [0]
9%
 9%  [2]
4%
 4%  [1]
19%
 19%  [4]
5000-10,000
14%
 14%  [3]
4%
 4%  [1]
One million
0%
 0%  [0]
More than one million
0%
 0%  [0]
More than 10 million
23%
 23%  [5]
Other
14%
 14%  [3]
Total Votes : 21

bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2017 12:10
  • Post subject: What is the proper number of CDs or vinyl to own??
Question of the day.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 11/07/2017 12:20
  • Post subject:
You’re going wild with these questions, Bobby
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/07/2017 12:57
  • Post subject:
There is no proper amount to own. Each to their own. Some of us are collectors/hoarders, others aren't.

I've been buying music since the late 80s. Since then I've accumulated somewhere around 3,000 albums on both formats (as well as tape back in the day) but have sold/given away about 500-1000 or so over time, mainly as my music tastes have evolved or simply because I don't listen to certain records anymore. From 2003-2013 I rarely bought any music in physical form, as I was broke and tended to fill up my mp3 player with all the stuff I adored. Now I've got room in my house and more disposable income I've fervently been buying all the stuff I would have got earlier, as well as new discoveries I've made in the last few years. I've got over 1000 LPs now and actively sell any duds/duplicates on Discogs/free ads, so it's turned into both a hobby and supplementary income source as well as a labour of love.

That said, I've got records in my collection I've never even spun, with some still in their shrink from the day I bought them. Should I have bought them? Probably not - sometimes you've just got to know where to draw the line. As an addict, that's not always easy...
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2017 18:13
  • Post subject:
No such thing as proper amount. If you can afford to collect music and want to do so because of the hobby/passion of it, collect until there's nothing you haven't listened to.

I have a friend who owns 15-20,000 cd's. It's a breathtaking collection, and I wanted one like it not that long ago, but now, on a merely personal level, I've found it more important to simply have a large library of albums you've listened to rather than own, because as Jimmy Dread stated, I too have a considerable number of albums I bought that I've never listened to. I still go out and buy all of my favorite artists new releases, or begin a collection of an artist I've recently discovered. It's a fun hobby and almost a challenge. I remember finding Genesis's Selling England by the Pound and actually saying "Yes!" aloud. But rarely ever do I buy albums on a whim anymore.

It's a shame that physical music is being taken away from us. Just going by the fact that new computers aren't made with disc drives and new cars don't play cd's. I find myself using Spotify through my AUX cord these days more than anything, but the simple act of hearing an entire album on a drive to work or back home or wherever is still fucking beautiful to me.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2017 18:56
  • Post subject:
And the correct answer is: 2!!!!!! You should own one of each. One CD and one vinyl album. I'd like to congratulate our lucky winner who picked 2. You will be receiving many lovely prizes in the mail. Thanks for playing!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 11/07/2017 19:00
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
And the correct answer is: 2!!!!!! You should own one of each. One CD and one vinyl album. I'd like to congratulate our lucky winner who picked 2. You will be receiving many lovely prizes in the mail. Thanks for playing!!!!

Yippee!
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2017 09:04
  • Post subject:
voted other because there was no 0. all of this is improper, cds should contain practical things like excel, encyclopedias, and typing programs. and vinyl is for siding! all of this physical music is incredibly crass.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/08/2017 10:53
  • Post subject:
1001 is the correct answer, and then you die.

• Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/08/2017 11:07
  • Post subject:
^ this book is responsible for me being on this site.

I used to happily enjoy music without weighing it up against the weight of history.
I was given this book, and suddenly thought I should hear these albums that were supposedly great.
And then promptly decided I needed to decide on my own 1,001.

Unfortunately, I'm at approximately 1,500.
I need to cull.

I still think 1,000 is a good number of albums to really care about over a lifetime, and to reasonably and regularly revisit.
  • Visit poster's website