Cool story, bro

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2017 03:33
  • Post subject:
Many years ago...was running though the Los Angeles airport (LAX) at about 4AM with a flight to catch. Not paying attention, I ran headlong into a man in a black trenchcoat and a badass fedora. And sunglasses. The two guys he was with picked him up and whisked him away. My wife called me a clumsy oaf (she's not my wife anymore, btw). I told her to be quiet. I'd just met Ray Charles.

Went to a great party in Malibu with a girl from New Zealand who had the coolest accent and the most awesome hair I had ever seen in my life. Why I ever let her go is another story. As happens with most parties I end up at, it turned into a big jam. Someone called out "Rock Me On The Water", and I knew it, so I stepped up and grabbed the mic. Halfway through, I look to my right and the guy on the end playing maracas nodded and smiled. It was Jackson Browne. Playing freaking maracas while someone else sang his own song.

LA gives you lots of little rock star stories...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2017 03:36
  • Post subject:
Almost forgot I worked at print shop and did two things:

1) Printed a bunch of promotional stuff for Alexi Murdoch. Got his EP for free before a bunch of his stuff was put in a bunch of TV shows/films. I like his chill voice/music.

2) I held Dionne Warick's passport at a print shop... I actually don't really even remember why we had it, but her assistant dropped it off to make copies or something. It was one of those extended passports with the 100 pages or whatever and was mostly filled up.

When you live in LA you have 30505840854 opportunities to have cool story, bro moments.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2017 03:49
  • Post subject:
hahaha - Romanelli - I didn't read your post till now - funny we ended with the same thought.

Edit: somehow I thought Romanelli=Rocky... sorry mate.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 11/12/2017 20:22; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/12/2017 05:49
  • Post subject:
I encountered Gotye rifling through vinyls at my grandma's op-shop, looking for shit to sample, pulling out novelty records and laughing at the covers.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2017 19:44
  • Post subject:
Wow, badass stories y'all.

BTW @seth, here is what Nerf Ping Pong is
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com...L1068_.jpg

Apparently he played the rhythm section of REM in Nerf Ping Pong. The band besides Michael Stipe were all outside mingling with people, but Michael was in his dressing room. My Dad said that he thought he was shooting up or something, because when he came out he looked blasted. But from what I know he had quit drugs by that point, and was probably struggling with his bulimia.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2017 20:28
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Wow, badass stories y'all.

BTW @seth, here is what Nerf Ping Pong is
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com...L1068_.jpg

Apparently he played the rhythm section of REM in Nerf Ping Pong. The band besides Michael Stipe were all outside mingling with people, but Michael was in his dressing room. My Dad said that he thought he was shooting up or something, because when he came out he looked blasted. But from what I know he had quit drugs by that point, and was probably struggling with his bulimia.

Interesting - and ok thanks for the pic, I guess I could have googled it, but thought I'd come up with nerf guns and ping pong. I think I remember that now.

Also your dad has all these cool stories working security I assume? And that's what you do now too (along with teaching?) Cool stuff mate.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2017 20:28
  • Post subject:
There were a few interesting stories here, but yes Tha1ChiefRocka dad story with Bret Michaels takes the cake. Man, if that happened today, I'll bet the videos would go viral (but nobody had smartphones in the '80s). That story could make a great short film, and my story doesn't top that, but maybe someday I'll have something comparable:
Romanelli wrote:
LA gives you lots of little rock star stories...
sethmadsen wrote:
When you live in LA you have 30505840854 opportunities to have cool story, bro moments.

Jokes aside, I live in LA and work on movie sets so I see celebrities sometimes. It's part of the job, but I mostly see famous actors/actresses. But speaking of short films, about a year ago I worked on a short film called Night Shift, and the lead actor was none other than Tunde the frontman of TV on the Radio. So I not only met him; I worked with him for a few days. Cool dude. Friendly. Def not the snobbish celebrity type. The film was screened at Sundance earlier this year.
  • Visit poster's website