AAL2014 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
glyn spsa wrote:
Overrated:

Sign 'O' The Times by Prince

Underrated:

Lovesexy by Prince

Well, so much for that George Harrison being the worst album cover ever!

Right on. Ha ha ha. Prince is the most repulsive star ever. Right down to his album covers.

I've seen you mention a displeasure for Prince in a few different threads. No big deal obviously, and I may have asked before, but just out of curiosity, what is it exactly you don't like about him?

As for the Lovesexy album cover, yeah that's not necessarily my cup of tea. But as for the Sign O The Times record cover, that's an amazing album cover. It's like a more detailed Blonde on Blonde cover.

Yeah, Sign of the Times is a good album cover.
I just think Prince's music was the most stilted and forced-sounding music there could be. And I think it's ugly music. Basically, to me, he falls into the category of "Tries Too Hard". Some of the major, really popular Stars make music that just hits me this way. Of course that's probably a major reason that they're popular. You can hear them stressing and straining to be important. And their music seems all hyped up and pumped up in order to sound better than it really is. I don't know, artist like that are just a complete turn-off to me. And usually a lot of the major artists that are praised as being "natural" talents are the worst offenders. And to me their music sounds stilted and forced and hyped up. And for some reason their music just strikes me as ugly and unmusical.

That's interesting to me. For some reason I don't listen to Prince so much and how you describe it as trying too hard seems well observed. But I think he wrote some great songs and put in some pretty incredible vocal performances too. He was probably at his best at his most straightforward and melodic for me though. Just listened to Starfish and Coffee. Stuff like that is great.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2018 12:05
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
glyn spsa wrote:
Overrated:

Sign 'O' The Times by Prince

Underrated:

Lovesexy by Prince

Well, so much for that George Harrison being the worst album cover ever!

Right on. Ha ha ha. Prince is the most repulsive star ever. Right down to his album covers.

I've seen you mention a displeasure for Prince in a few different threads. No big deal obviously, and I may have asked before, but just out of curiosity, what is it exactly you don't like about him?

As for the Lovesexy album cover, yeah that's not necessarily my cup of tea. But as for the Sign O The Times record cover, that's an amazing album cover. It's like a more detailed Blonde on Blonde cover.

Yeah, Sign of the Times is a good album cover.
I just think Prince's music was the most stilted and forced-sounding music there could be. And I think it's ugly music. Basically, to me, he falls into the category of "Tries Too Hard". Some of the major, really popular Stars make music that just hits me this way. Of course that's probably a major reason that they're popular. You can hear them stressing and straining to be important. And their music seems all hyped up and pumped up in order to sound better than it really is. I don't know, artist like that are just a complete turn-off to me. And usually a lot of the major artists that are praised as being "natural" talents are the worst offenders. And to me their music sounds stilted and forced and hyped up. And for some reason their music just strikes me as ugly and unmusical.

To me Prince is easily the greatest artist of the 1980's and one of the most important artists of all time. "Forced" i find that an odd choice as i see his music as anything but forced and with a vault containing hundreds of unreleased material i think that proves music was not forced out from him but flowed from him like a river. The man could play almost any instrument many at extremely high levels he had a voice with tremendous range and could do many different styles of music. I guess this is why we have sites like this because all of us don't think or hear the same way.
  • Visit poster's website
Thad

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2018 05:19
  • Post subject:
Kanye West
Overrated: Late Registration
Underrated: 808s & Heartbreak, Yeezus

Radiohead
Overrated: The Bends, In Rainbows
Underrated: Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief

Pink Floyd
Overrated: The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon
Underrated: Meddle

Sufjan Stevens
Overrated: Illinois
Underrated: The Age of Adz

Can
Overrated: Tago Mago
Underrated: Ege Bamyasi
(This is their top 2 but Tago Mago has literally 2x the rank score on BEA and I like Ege so much more)

Bright Eyes
Overrated: I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
Underrated: Digital Ash In a Digital Urn

Modest Mouse
Overrated: Good News for People Who Love Bad News
Underrated: This Is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About

Porcupine Tree
Overrated: Fear of A Blank Planet
Underrated: Stupid Dream
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/23/2018 23:17
  • Post subject:
Rolling Stones

Overrated: Sticky Fingers (only has 4 or 5 good tracks on it. But the good ones are very good. The rest meh)

Underrated: Their Satanic Majesties Request/Steel Wheels

Beatles

Overrated: Rubber Soul/Abbey Road ( I like the latter but I don't see why AR is # one Beatles album on this site)

Underrated: A Hard Day's Night/ Magical Mystery Tour

Pink Floyd

Overrated: Dark Side (OK I love it but it's not their best album. Wish You Were Here is IMO)

Underrated: Piper At The Gates of Dawn/Meddle/The Division Bell

David Bowie

Overrated: Heroes (I love the title song, Bowie's best song IMO but the album is moderately good and too high on BEA Overall Chart compared to better Bowie albums)

Underrated: Scary Monsters (love it!)/ Man Who Sold The World

Bruce Springsteen

Overrated: Born To Run

Underrated: Born in The USA (his best album, should be number 1)

Led Zeppelin

Overrated: lV and ll

Underrated: lll (I love Led Zep 3 its criminally underrated. Their best album by a mile)

Stevie Wonder

Overrated: Songs In The Key Of Life (Overkill! Too long and sprawling. I get bored. His best is Innervisions)

Underrated: Hotter Than July/Fulfillingness' First Finale
  • Visit poster's website
Mythtall

• Posted: 03/24/2018 11:49
  • Post subject:
Stuck with several artists already posted for.

Pink Floyd
Overrated: Animals
Underrated: The Final Cut

David Bowie
Overrated: Hunky Dory - It is has great moments mind you.
Underrated: David Bowie (1967) - Very joyful and often amusing album

Bruce Springsteen
Overrated: Born To Run - When I listened to Springsteen so much more I would listen to half the tracks more often. Born In The USA , Darkness on The Edge of Town and The River have a higher percentage
of great songs (and more songs altogther) and would spend more time in CD player.
Underrated: The Rising - 10/10 album and very uplifiting music as well.

Kanye West
Overrated: Late Registration and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Underrated: The College Dropout - Although highly rated it seems to set the standard for everything after for me.

Kate Bush
Overrated: The Kick Inside
Underrated: The Sensual World

R.E.M.:
Overrated: Lifes Rich Pageant and Murmur
Underrated: Green

Underworld
Overrated: Second Toughest In The Infants
Underrated: Beaucoup Fish

The Clash
Overrated: London Calling
Underrated: Sandinista! - Both these Clash albums have a generous amount of 10/10 songs. While a few of the experiments fall flat on Sandinista! it is very near as good as London Calling if rated on the positives.

Rush
Overrated: Signals - Always felt this was the weakest link in an otherwise fantastic 80s output.
Underrated: Vapor Trails - There are great songs on here although the Remixed version is needed to get the most out of it. This entry might be cheating I suppose.
Mythtall

• Posted: 03/24/2018 11:51
  • Post subject:
Thad wrote:

Porcupine Tree
Overrated: Fear of A Blank Planet
Underrated: Stupid Dream

Stupid Dream is definitely my most enjoyed album by them.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2018 05:40
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:

Radiohead (everybody yawns)
Overrated: Kid A. Interesting but give me some more tunes!
Underrated: Amnesiac. Thanks for giving me some more tunes!

Laughing

Best statement and reasoning so far!
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 03/25/2018 05:55
  • Post subject:
Thad wrote:
Modest Mouse
Overrated: Good News for People Who Love Bad News
Underrated: This Is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About

Now this is something I can wholeheartedly get behind. I mean I love both almost equally - I have a lot of attachments to the former - but This Is a Long Drive... gets nowhere as much attention as it deserves.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website