Nominating user: craola

Matches closes end of day Wednesday October 21st

Last edited by babyBlueSedan on 10/22/2020 02:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/18/2020 10:16
  • Post subject:
I think the reason my nominations struggle in these song tournaments, and the reason I'm often quite negative towards a lot of the entries, is to do with my own fairly narrow idea of what songs are for vs. what albums are for. I tend to listen to individual songs at parties or on car journeys or when sharing wine with like-minded friends, and therefore I tend to find that upbeat, danceable, singalongable, accessible, catchy songs are much more suitable for my purposes. I don't necessarily see these matchups as 'which is the best piece of music?', but more often 'which am I most likely to add to my next drive playlist?' (or, less pithily, 'which song am I more likely to revisit on its own, outside the context of its parent album?', which is more like an amalgam of the two previous questions, when you think about it). With that in mind, both Bowie and Björk are among my favourite artists of all-time, and I really enjoy the albums these songs come from and obviously these songs are standouts within the context of said albums, but I would never put these songs on at a party or on a car journey. That said, I might play 'Lazarus' when sharing wine with like-minded friends, so even though 'Losss' is sonically way more interesting and distinctive it doesn't really fit the bill for what I want a song to be and won't be getting my vote. It's too floaty and intangible and amorphous, even though it's also gorgeous and unpredictable and undeniably Björk. 'Lazarus' would kill a party stone dead, but it's also got that lovely mournful saxophone, a meaty and memorable guitar riff, and an urgent vocal performance that it's difficult not to get carried away in. I prefer both within the contexts of the albums they come from, but there's only one of them I would consider playing outside of that context.

tl;dr: I really like both, but they are both slow and long and lacking in immediate melodies and they would kill the vibe at parties. Vote to 'Lazarus'.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2020 15:17
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I think the reason my nominations struggle in these song tournaments, and the reason I'm often quite negative towards a lot of the entries, is to do with my own fairly narrow idea of what songs are for vs. what albums are for. I tend to listen to individual songs at parties or on car journeys or when sharing wine with like-minded friends, and therefore I tend to find that upbeat, danceable, singalongable, accessible, catchy songs are much more suitable for my purposes. I don't necessarily see these matchups as 'which is the best piece of music?', but more often 'which am I most likely to add to my next drive playlist?' (or, less pithily, 'which song am I more likely to revisit on its own, outside the context of its parent album?', which is more like an amalgam of the two previous questions, when you think about it). With that in mind, both Bowie and Björk are among my favourite artists of all-time, and I really enjoy the albums these songs come from and obviously these songs are standouts within the context of said albums, but I would never put these songs on at a party or on a car journey. That said, I might play 'Lazarus' when sharing wine with like-minded friends, so even though 'Losss' is sonically way more interesting and distinctive it doesn't really fit the bill for what I want a song to be and won't be getting my vote. It's too floaty and intangible and amorphous, even though it's also gorgeous and unpredictable and undeniably Björk. 'Lazarus' would kill a party stone dead, but it's also got that lovely mournful saxophone, a meaty and memorable guitar riff, and an urgent vocal performance that it's difficult not to get carried away in. I prefer both within the contexts of the albums they come from, but there's only one of them I would consider playing outside of that context.

tl;dr: I really like both, but they are both slow and long and lacking in immediate melodies and they would kill the vibe at parties. Vote to 'Lazarus'.

as someone who doesn't go to parties if i can help it and excuses out early at the first opportunity, i don't really relate at all, but that's a really interesting way of looking at it. the social function of music or of songs in particular...

all-in-all, i'm pretty torn on which to vote. i went with my nomination, but that's mostly out of some allegiance to loyalty. they're both equally incredible songs from equally incredible albums.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2020 18:00
  • Post subject:
Maybe a couple songs from Vulnicura could have won my vote, but with this matchup I'm for Lazarus.
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2020 03:00
  • Post subject:
Björk doesn't win

Bowie wins 14-2