Terrible albums with one amazing song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/13/2022 20:20
  • Post subject:
D' You Know What I Mean? was the great song on Oasis' Be Here Now (bloated) album imho. Not a good album.

Stand By Me was ace too, but has been used to death on a British TV advert.
All Around The World was pants (trash) to me.
Just sounds like Liam whining, as does the much feted Wonderwall. Don't Look Back In Anger is their best song, obvs...

Kid A is very hit and miss for me. The National Anthem is the best song on it I reckon.
But for me it's not a classic album.

And I am going to say it:
Hot Space is a good Queen album.
I enjoy it.
Also, though not perfect, I prefer Led Zep's Presence album to their bloated and boring Physical Graffiti ( Kashmir aside).
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2022 20:46
  • Post subject:
CharlieBarley wrote:
Also, though not perfect, I prefer Led Zep's Presence album to their bloated and boring Physical Graffiti (Kashmir aside).

I personally wouldn't go quite that far, but FWIW I remember reading some guy's blog once where he'd resequenced Presence with "Nobody's Fault" as the leadoff track, and "Achilles Last Stand" as the closer (the full sequence was Nobody's Fault, Hots On, Tea for One, Royal Orleans, For Your Life, Candy Store Rock, Achilles Last Stand). So I listened to it like that, and it was a lot better — I was really surprised at how much better it was. Since then I've had the belief that track sequencing is a genuine art form, almost as important as songwriting itself, if not more so in some cases.

I think the blog has since 404'd itself, but there's a Youtube video.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/13/2022 21:21
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
I personally wouldn't go quite that far, but FWIW I remember reading some guy's blog once where he'd resequenced Presence with "Nobody's Fault" as the leadoff track, and "Achilles Last Stand" as the closer (the full sequence was Nobody's Fault, Hots On, Tea for One, Royal Orleans, For Your Life, Candy Store Rock, Achilles Last Stand). So I listened to it like that, and it was a lot better — I was really surprised at how much better it was. Since then I've had the belief that track sequencing is a genuine art form, almost as important as songwriting itself, if not more so in some cases.

I think the blog has since 404'd itself, but there's a Youtube video.

Link

Sounds great!
Will check it out later
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 07/14/2022 20:09
  • Post subject:
wizardalien wrote:
I'm not part of the angry mob that will inevitably chase you out of town with pitchforks and torches for holding that opinion!

Ah, I see what you did there. Thank you, that means a lot; the internet would gain if they had more of that attitude. Smile That angry mob can literally go to any other music-site on the internet about that "album" if they get offended at one-in-a-million opinion of it Laughing
Also I'm glad I gave ya a new word Wink
I have listened to every Coldplay album, and I have the same opinion that their 2000s projects are absolutely amazing and their 2010s material were a mess (besides a few bangers of course). Music of The Spheres imo is their worst album yet, and that's coming from someone who actually enjoyed quite a handful of joints on their 2019 album Everyday Life.

Actually about Radiohead:
Creep is seen as the one piece of brilliance from the otherwise ludicrous Pablo Honey. [imo Creep is average, the album is garbage but it has two great songs on it; the hardrocking opener You and the proto-In Rainbows-esque closer Blow Out]

Lemme give you one more (controversial) one in the personal realm.
Pride is literally the only song that comes close to giving me goosebumps (and it definitely does give it...most of the times) on DAMN., an outright insufferable album that I find it insulting how people can even say something good about it.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓

Last edited by DommeDamian on 07/16/2022 06:52; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
SD100852

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/16/2022 00:46
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
I get that, but I thought OP's question was about generally criticized albums that have one song being praised like heaven. I could be wrong though.

A new clear example:
The newest Coldplay album (Music of The Spheres) has been ripped to shreds (including me) but the closing 10-minute Coloratura has been held as one of the band's best and one of the 2020's greatest progressive pieces of music.

But in the case that is by personal preference: then I would say How To Disappear Completely is a perfectly great ambient/indie rock song on the absolute offensively pretentious disasterpiece Kid A. Yes I said it.

That Coldplay album was another example I was thinking of when coming up with this discussion, that particular track's average score is way higher than everything else on it and the album has an average score lower than 60 at time of writing (which usually suggests it's not very good at all).

I've seen a couple of tracks off Be Here Now mentioned too, personally I think the only good one on it is 'Stand by Me' which IMO sounds way better when performed live, and probably wouldn't make my top 20 Oasis tracks.
  • Visit poster's website
wizardalien

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/16/2022 08:30
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
Ah, I see what you did there. Thank you, that means a lot; the internet would gain if they had more of that attitude. Smile That angry mob can literally go to any other music-site on the internet about that "album" if they get offended at one-in-a-million opinion of it Laughing
Also I'm glad I gave ya a new word Wink
I have listened to every Coldplay album, and I have the same opinion that their 2000s projects are absolutely amazing and their 2010s material were a mess (besides a few bangers of course). Music of The Spheres imo is their worst album yet, and that's coming from someone who actually enjoyed quite a handful of joints on their 2019 album Everyday Life.

Actually about Radiohead:
Creep is seen as the one piece of brilliance from the otherwise ludicrous Pablo Honey. [imo Creep is average, the album is garbage but it has two great songs on it; the hardrocking opener You and the proto-In Rainbows-esque closer Blow Out]

Lemme give you one more (controversial) one in the personal realm.
Pride is literally the only song that comes close to giving me goosebumps (and it definitely does give it...most of the times) on DAMN., an outright insufferable album that I find it insulting how people can even say something good about it.

Pablo Honey is comfortably in my top 100. To me Creep is probably the 4th or 5th best song off the album. Stop Whispering is in my top 10 songs ever, and Blow Out is in my top 100.

I've not listened to much Kendrick Lamar but I have to say so far I'm not impressed. Listened to Pimp A Butterfly and the only noteworthy song on there is i which is just basically a re-record of a song from the 70s. I may well agree with you on Kendrick Lamar once I spend a bit more time listening to his work.
  • Visit poster's website