Album of the day (#4837): Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/17/2024 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4837): Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes
Today's album of the day

Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2008.
Overall rank: 133
Average rating: 83/100 (from 1569 votes).

Tracks:
1. Sun It Rises
2. White Winter Hymnal
3. Ragged Wood
4. Tiger Mountain Peasant Song
5. Quiet Houses
6. He Doesn't Know Why
7. Heard Them Stirring
8. Your Protector
9. Meadowlarks
10. Blue Ridge Mountains
11. Oliver James

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2024 20:15
  • Post subject:
Absolute game changer for me. Still love it to pieces, even if their albums after this are more exciting to me.

Track picks
2. White Winter Hymnal
6. He Doesn't Know Why
8. Your Protector
10. Blue Ridge Mountains
  • Visit poster's website
Bach

Italy

• Posted: 03/17/2024 20:40
  • Post subject:
Their best album for me.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 03/17/2024 21:10
  • Post subject:
This is my favorite album of all time. Here is my (bit outdated) description:

Good idea: Please skip this paragraph if you haven’t watched How To Train Your Dragon. Summer 2020 was one of the most important and massively extraordinary period of my life.I played this, like it played a huge part of my identity shaping of that time, principally August. I felt like I found myself again. Even if it only lasted a couple of months, I remember it like it was yesterday. I went down to my cottage, placed where wifi is virtually non-existent and the ocean is a lovely neighbor. It was hot everyday, like 30° at minimum, sometimes I had to stay inside. For the entirety, I wore nothing but basket-shorts and, occasionally, a visor and sandals. In the cottage (since there’s no internet) they have a TV and hundreds of DVD’s. Loads of adult (violent, drama) stuff and children’s. I made a pile of movies I would watch, and I have a good chunk from both (for nostalgic and entertaining reasons). Some of the children’s including Garfield 1&2, Ice Age and Wall-E and the other movies for older were Brødre, Inception, Kiss of The Dragon, The Godfather (!) and War of The Worlds. But the standout was How To Train Your Dragon (from the children’s section), and I remember watching it twice in theater but not since, that’s probably why I didn’t think much of it. When I chose to watch it, I was blown away. Especially with Toothless, I think I have found my spirit animal; a night fury dragon. Every single move, emotional statement, even down to the representation of his kind, I could see my own reflection. The patience of flying, the subtle special interests, the general learning of friendship, everything clicked. The way Astrid ended up loving and trusting Hiccup along the way, was also surely emotionally amusing. I felt like a higher spiritual being, and the best version of myself. There was even a few days where I wouldn’t talk to anyone, but communicate with animals around me (even the bugs). I was free. Genuinely free. Through that time, this album was the soundtrack and it did a perfect job. From he topic of its songs, through the old soul of the music, to the everlasting harmony, Fleet Foxes’ self-titled and How To Train Your Dragon is the epitome of a spiritual connection for me, perhaps in family with each other. Simply writing about it, doesn’t give justice to those feels, but the miracle that it even happened is to thank God for. When we’re in company, the fear of death collapses into the eeriness of Mother Nature.

This is such a good winter album with replay value. However it doesn't loose its potency and beauty, whenever season I'm listening. And when I am listening, it's almost convincing that the record could be recorded out in the woods, daytime to nighttime. Robin Pecknold is the angelic captain in the woods of freedom. As I listen, I run through the forest, with an endless yet humane cardio. As I listen, I visit a mysterious village. As I listen, I climb a mountain. As I listen, I swim in a waterfall of compassion. As I listen, I bond with my spiritual animal. As I listen, I wonder how human musicians put so much of the infinite soul into it. I mean even before this debut from the quintet saw the light of day back in 2008, several of the leading foreign rock magazines were completely up to the back legs and laughed fiercely with the tail of bare enthusiasm. With just a few hearings, it is clear that Fleet Foxes is neither hype nor clever overexposure. The self-titled album is simply superb. Fleet Foxes pull back deep tracks to the 60s and 70s. The chilling vocal harmonies lead the minds of the best in the game, who in turn musically blend in with the best traditions of americana, appalachian people, gospel and the most adorable dream pop. Yet the difference between most harmony group and Fleet Foxes, is that FF are not focusing on flexing vocal range even nearly as much as touching people with sincerity in their voices. Sun It Rises, Quiet Houses and Heard Them Stirring (just to name a few) are pure madrigal hymns with the most outstanding and underplayed arrangements with Hammond, banjo, piano and delightful acoustic guitar characters (instrumentally, the entire 40 minutes is hard not to fall in love with). Singer Robin Peckhold sings direct and right into the soul in Tiger Mountain Peasant Song (terrifying lyrics sitting up at the exceptionally captivating melody/atmosphere), He Doesn't Know Why (love the travelin' vibe), and the greatly melancholic Your Protector with a voice that resonates when the high notes hits, right beside the band's generally inspired mood. It is real mature, with a delightful childlike kindness/openness. And obviously White Winter Hymnal is chilling: my music-class performed this song collectively for the remaining high school students, it was only increasing my love for that song. If it wasn't for the foggily depressed lyrics, I would sing these songs to my children. But even there, Fleet Foxes hits a musical vein, which comes with a rarely heard empathy, unmatched in contemporary indie - and for me, in all of music.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/17/2024 21:32
  • Post subject:
HoldenM wrote:
Absolute game changer for me.

Relistened to this a couple weeks back. A mature masterwork from such young bucks.

Perhaps, like you Holden, as you are somewhat a similar age to myself, we had a similar experience with this record. I think it was the first time I realized there's modern music outside the mainstream (I was twelve or thirteen, raised on pop classics, jazz, 70s, etc, and only knew the 00s by what was on he radio— spotted this record in BestBuy's CD section of all things and gave it a shot). Changed everything for me. And I'm very glad it's the album that did that.

Amid the slew of mid-aughts indie rock that may or may not stand the test of decades to come, they made something well-weathered and timeless.

White Winter Hymnal.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2024 00:25
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Relistened to this a couple weeks back. A mature masterwork from such young bucks.

Perhaps, like you Holden, as you are somewhat a similar age to myself, we had a similar experience with this record. I think it was the first time I realized there's modern music outside the mainstream (I was twelve or thirteen, raised on pop classics, jazz, 70s, etc, and only knew the 00s by what was on he radio— spotted this record in BestBuy's CD section of all things and gave it a shot). Changed everything for me. And I'm very glad it's the album that did that.

Amid the slew of mid-aughts indie rock that may or may not stand the test of decades to come, they made something well-weathered and timeless.

White Winter Hymnal.

Yeah, this isn't too far off from my own experience with them. I came to them around 2010 or 2011. Would've been 15 or 16. My dad had been into them right as they blew up, so they were on my radar, but I didn't pay attention to them at first. I wasn't terribly online, so I even came to the music blogs and critics' lists until the tail-end of their reign. Then, I got very into other indie folk around this time. Was very into Sufjan and Decemberists. So, I eventually gave Fleet Foxes a chance since they had so much hype around them. And when I finally got to them, they clicked right away. I've listened to s/t and Helplessness Blues more times than I can remember. Lots of long walks home from school that I filled with all kinds of music, but Fleet Foxes' debut took up a healthy chunk of real estate.

And like I said, while I certainly gravitate to the conceptuality of their later albums, that first record is bulletproof. "Blue Ridge Mountains" is still one of my ten favorite songs. I really have nothing but love and praise for this one.
  • Visit poster's website